Batteries keep going dead! - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PatDoody
I had this problem with my 01 f250, I did the amp draw tests and had a big draw when the truck was off, and would kill the batteries overnight... Real big inconvenience, it turned out to be the alternator, even after it tested fine at 2 different parts stores... When the truck was running it charged fine, and had good voltage...

Do the amperage draw test, and for grins and giggles unplug the alt to see if anything changes... that's how I found my problem..

2001 F250, 7.3, AUTO 4WD. Listing mods in your sig is dumb becasue it messes up everyone searches. Hence 20 threads on the same topic, that people arent posting answers to becasue its beaten to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

This post should be included in the FAQ section.

'00 F350 XLT, DRW, CC, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed, combo 90 gallon fuel tank/tool box, Banks Stinger-Plus, 203 T-stat, A-Pillar ISSPRO guages, Hadley Air horn, PowerSlide rear window, AIC, AIS, KCM S.S. HPX Line, Riffraff FRx.
Member # 10965
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 01:46 AM

I just had a similar issue with my 1997 f350 turbo diesel 7.3l. My alternator was weak but could charge enough while driving to keep batteries charged. When the truck sat over night in the cold it would completely drain the batteries. So I assumed it was dead batteries and in the cold I replaced both batteries with brand new ones. It fired right up and charged decent. After it started fine all day but after sitting for 2 hours in the cold it went completely dead again..so after getting a friend to bring me another battery at 2am in sub zero temperature I was able to jump the beast and get it home. The next day I researched on this site and read about the alternator and a backdraw, so I thought it was just a backdraw in the bad alternator. The next day I replaced it and while working on checking for the draw it was still there. I removed fuses but nothing. So I just started tapping things with a hammer very lightly and after tapping the glowplug relay, the draw was gone..I checked the relay with a test light by turning the truck on and off, and what did you know,,,, it was sticking on. The glowplug relay was my major draw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 PM

I got a 1999 ford e350 diesel. If the shoreline cord is not connected on my vehicle the batteries are drained as well. I tried using the switches behind the drivers seat to disconnect the battery but still the batteries drain. I think it is built this way so that there is no human judgement error in forgetting to connect the inverted when an emergency arises. The problem I have is. How do I disconnect the inverter? Is there a fuse for it?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:59 PM

My alternator was the culprit...

Good afternoon to all,
I racked my brain for 4 years trying to figure out where my AMP draw was coming from. The alternator tested good every time...until it finally failed. During that time it killed two sets of batteries (free replacement on one set). When I replaced the alternator, the problem disappeared. I hope this helps.
God bless,
Semper Fi,
Country
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 AM

I had a similar issue with mine, I would have to jump the truck constantly, went through sets of batteries, replaced the altenator and still had the problem. I took my truck into a Auto Electric place and they chased the problem to a relay that apparently can get wet. They replaced it, and I have never had any issues since.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM

So did you ever find what was causing the batteries to go bad or if there was too much drain on them?

2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3PS Auto 4WD Crew Cab.
3 Gauge set from DieselManor.

"aim small miss small" -- Benjamin Martin
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:41 PM

Since my 2003 F250 is my Tow Vehicle I tend to only drive it every month or so and the parasitic current drain eventually discharges the batteries. I ordered a no-name trickle charger from Amazon and have not had a problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in