Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Page 10 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Every time I have changed my Magnefine, only a tablespoon or so drips out of the line.

If you cut the old one open to inspect the magnet & paper filter then I hope you will post pictures.

BTW, was your new Magnefine the old black style or the new steel casing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:54 PM

You don't have to cut Magnefines open to see inside. 2 pairs of channel locks will take them apart because they now are 2 piece and threaded together.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #138 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 AM

My Photos: (2)
Success and Done!

Just an update here..I finally finished my trans fluid flush/change following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I went from the old Mercon fluid that had been in there for about 28,000 miles or so, and changed it all over to Mobil 1 sythetic ATF. Here are some observations that might help others in the future:

1. I premarked my drain buckets with quart increments so that I would know how much fluid I was pumping out each time, and when to turn the truck off. This helped a lot. And along those lines, have plenty of them to pour the fluid into, etc.

2. I changed the Magnefine filter BEFORE doing the fluid change so as to not lose any of my expensive Mobil 1 Synthetic fluid after the fact. Turns out very minimal fluid loss for magnefine filter change. Also, I did open the magnefine up, and found that it was not very dirty at all, and no chunks of anything, etc. Very happy about that.

3. Of 20 quarts of Mobil 1 Sythetic ATF, I ended up with just 1/2 quart left over after the flush, fill and top off.

My truck has always had, for lack of a better way of describing it....a "shudder" when starting off in first gear always. After the fluid change, I was happy to see that this "shudder" is now extremely minimized and might even be gone completely. Everything else seems about the same. Haven't towed with it yet. Took me about 1 hour (not including the magnefine, which took an hour by itself as I have to remove my lower front bumper guard to get to it) from start to finish with my wife helping me in the drivers seat.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

Randy

2001 F350 Lariat PSD, 4x4, 4DR CC SB, purchased 2/27/07. Ford AIS intake with Fender Sleeve (added 4/2/07), ZooDad mod (7/14/07), Pillar Gauges (ISSPRO) EGT, Trans Temp and Boost (added 3/21/07), Dynomax 4" turbo back exhaust (added 3/9/07), 2 inch leveling kit, 285/70-17 Toyo Open Country II's, Huskyliner floor mats, Rear Airbags, TopDeck Tonneau Cover (added 4/3/07), Excursion "Hush Panels" under the dashboard. Factory Forged Rods, 25 row 6.0 Trans Cooler upgrade, added 8/27/09. Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares and chrome door handles/mirrors (4/2014), DP-Tuner w/60TowHeavy, Decel, 80TowLight, 80Daily, 80DailyMountains and 120hpRace installed 5/15/2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 PM

That sounds like an inconvenient location...I usually see these inline filters installed in an easily accessible area that allows for 5 minute swaps.

Thanks for that follow-up.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #140 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Installed the mishimoto 7.3 cooler now we need to exchange transmission fluid in the system. When taking out the old cooler and putting this new one in and draining the trans. pan altogether it drained out about 2 gallons (8 quarts) so now we need to exchange fluid after the new 7.3 install...there is not a magna. filter on any line.. we have to do this later as we are crunched for time (gotta finish this in a couple hours going camping pulling a big travel trailer in mountains tomorrow). So the teams fluid is a brown red. Definitely time for a change. My question is do we add all 8 quarts then still take off the line in the back return by transmission and add the clear line to bucket. I really didn't want to clog the brand new cooler with old fluid if possible. We bought the synthetic Mobil atf as our trans gets hot pulling in mountains. I don't know what fluid was in it before. Or do we pull off the line somewhere up by the cooler to hook the clear line that goes into bucket?
?#1 First add 8 qts new fluid?
?#2 Then hook up clear line to ? so nothing clogs the new 7.3 mishimoto cooler?
?#3 We are in summer so the trans. isn't cold but it's not at operating temp because it was yesterday we did the 7.3 trans install, and today we will exchange fluid. Does that matter that it's not operating temp?
I'm helping my husband do all this work and if someone could help me get this step by step, I really appreciate it. I read the post at top and it all makes sense except we drained an extra quart+ a little more because of the new 7.3 cooler install. And the fact I am hoping nothing gets clogged anywhere. Thanks you so much for your time and helpful posts!
post #141 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM

Follow the directions In post 1 and you will have no problems. Do you have a drain plug? Are you replacing the filter?

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

post #142 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGH# View Post
?#1 First add 8 qts new fluid?
Yes.
Quote:
?#2 Then hook up clear line to ? so nothing clogs the new 7.3 mishimoto cooler?
If you don't want to run the old fluid through the new cooler, don't remove line at the rear of the trans. Remove the line at the new cooler that comes from the radiator cooler to the new cooler.
Quote:
?#3 We are in summer so the trans. isn't cold but it's not at operating temp because it was yesterday we did the 7.3 trans install, and today we will exchange fluid. Does that matter that it's not operating temp?
It does not matter. The trans does not need to be warmed up to do this.
Quote:
And the fact I am hoping nothing gets clogged anywhere.
The only way the cooler could clog is if the transmission has already totally failed.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #143 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Yes have a drain plug... already drained...we are replacing filter... hopefully transmission isn't on it's way out...trans would get hot going up mountain with a large travel trailer...
We get a lot of information from this site to make sure we are doing things right...

Mark, do you suggest just doing the exchange through the line on the back of transmission like the normal process then...It seems like it would be easier...🤔 This 2003 Excursion has 260,000 miles on it. I love my truckn, but it has started showing the age a bit. Everyone wish us luck or a few prayers this helps resolve some of the trans cooling problems towing in mountains...
Suggestions for trans gauge? Only have the original dash gauge would like to see temps.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! I am very grateful
post #144 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Yes have a drain plug... already drained...we are replacing filter... hopefully transmission isn't on it's way out...trans would get hot going up mountain with a large travel trailer...
We get a lot of information from this site to make sure we are doing things right...

Mark, do you suggest just doing the exchange through the line on the back of transmission like the normal process then...It seems like it would be easier...🤔 This 2003 Excursion has 260,000 miles on it. I love my truckn, but it has started showing the age a bit. Everyone wish us luck or a few prayers this helps resolve some of the trans cooling problems towing in mountains...
Suggestions for trans gauge? Only have the original dash gauge would like to see temps.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! I am very grateful
Get yourself a Scangauge II for about 150$ it will monitor trans temp and many other things and the install is plug and play.

post #145 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleedog View Post

Get yourself a Scangauge II for about 150$ it will monitor trans temp and many other things and the install is plug and play.
Thanks will look for it!
post #146 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleedog View Post

Thanks will look for it!
Cheapest source for ScanGauge-2 is Advance Auto and you save 20% by ordering online. Plus you earn $20 cash perks for future purchase.

It is plug & play but you need to allow about 30 minutes to program in the various PIDs you wish to monitor.

Best money I ever spent.

SOLD:
post #147 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:16 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Mark, do you suggest just doing the exchange through the line on the back of transmission like the normal process then...
Yes, I do.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #148 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:20 AM
lenigerk

Hi All,
I'm new to the ford world as I have owned rams for the last 14 years. I find myself a proud owner of a 2001 ford F-350 dually with a 7.3. I have a few questions.
1. when I drive it , shift points seem rough like they are slamming home. Is this normal? Truck has 156,000 miles on it.
It is a 4x4, in really nice condition, just replaced the glow plug wiring harness. What other issues might I be looking at.
Thanks
post #149 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 AM

Congrats on the low miles 7.3.
A couple things that would affect shift points:

Do you know if it has a non-factory transmission?

Do you have a chip or tuner or is it stock?

SOLD:
post #150 of 150 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:40 AM

A couple things about the 7.3:

—Genuine Motorcraft Electrical parts & Sensors seem to hold up better than after-market and are worth the extra cost.

—The HEUI system seems to be tough on oil so most of us practice more frequent oil changes than the Owners Manual suggests. For example, a full synthetic 5w-40 usually has no more than a 6,000-mile OCI (oil change interval).

—The Ford FL-1995 oil filter is a well constructed filter and as good as the competition for $10 at most auto stores and WalMart.

—Many of us keep a spare CPS in the glove box with a 10-mm wrench. It isn’t so much that they are prone to failure but they are a common fail point and one that is easily replaced roadside and inexpensive to keep a spare ($40).

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in