Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 150 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Baloney! Old wives tale. If you follow Mark's procedures, then you are simply replacing almost all the old ATF with new ATF. There is no logical reason that new ATF could cause a tranny to go bad.

It sounds like your tranny or torque converter has already packed its bags and getting ready to go south. If it goes south right after you change the ATF, it won't be because you changed the ATF.

I would not use a chemical of any sort to flush the tranny. That can cause a world of hurt. Just follow Mark's procedures and you'll be good to go.
Marks procedure sounds correct but since its an old wives tale what the hell do the Ford dealers put in the trannys to ruin em within a month of so called flushing them? I know of far too many people who have had the Ford dealer flush it and it take a crap within a month. Just seems kind of ironic how a perfect transmission goes to hell in a week or two after they flush it (7 people to be exact).

03 F250 4x4 Lariat 7.3 4 inch exaust Tymar PHP Phoenix chip WW2 banks big head 4 inch lift w/ 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM

My Photos: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery P-Stroke View Post
Marks procedure sounds correct but since its an old wives tale what the hell do the Ford dealers put in the trannys to ruin em within a month of so called flushing them? I know of far too many people who have had the Ford dealer flush it and it take a crap within a month. Just seems kind of ironic how a perfect transmission goes to hell in a week or two after they flush it (7 people to be exact).
Perhaps, it was giving them trouble and they thought a flush would fix it?

Dunno, but I do know we changed tranny fluid in a motorhome back in the 80's and it took a dump a month later, but didn't flush, just did pan fluid and filter.

Phil

02'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 SWB CC 4x4 Lariat
7.3/Auto 2-Tone Grey/Black, Stainless Nerfs, Westin Grill & Stainless Brush Guard, KC Highlighters, Wicked Wheel, Gutted EBPV, Non-EBPV Turbo Pedestal, 4" Magnaflow Pro 409 Stainless Exhaust, NON IH -Bellowed up pipes, 203 Dieselsite Thermostat and Billet Housing, 285/16 BF Goodrich AT/KO's on American Racing Rims. TRI light bar on rear, Silverstars, High 5 Cab lights, InTank / PrePump Mods, Prodigy, C-bet'r mirrors, 18K REESE Signature slider, Undercover Flex, and Dual Swing Cases.
15' F150 Lariat
70'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stang Fastback
351W -

16' Edge Titanium 502
03' Cougar 281 EFS - Sold 8/14
06' Kubota BX2350 FEL, 60"MMM, Curtis 60" Blade & Kubota Ballast Box
post #33 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

I have a powerstroke 7.3 Yr 2000
Has 318800 miles.AT I have heard you can damage the transmission if you change the fluid,because the detergent will wear whats left of plates and cause breakdown. What is your take and what would you do if it was your truck. It is all Highway miles towing a #13000 5th wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:44 PM

My Photos: (35)
Have you never changed the ATF?
Some say that not changing is more damaging, but then there is the others that say changing will have it go south.
We change engine oil and the coolant, why not ATF every x miles?

2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar, 1.5"spacers from old Correct track OR,140 Lightforce with covers, 5x7 LED's From Truck-lite, extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E, My Photos

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
post #35 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediron View Post
What is your take and what would you do if it was your truck. It is all Highway miles towing a #13000 5th wheel
The rumor that changing the ATF might harm the 4R100 tranny is a bunch of horse hockey. Fresh ATF is not going to hurt a 4R100 tranny. If it were mine, I'd change the ATF immediately, using Mark's procedures, and 20 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

post #36 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Always been changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapsdvan View Post
Have you never changed the ATF?
Some say that not changing is more damaging, but then there is the others that say changing will have it go south.
We change engine oil and the coolant, why not ATF every x miles?
I have always changed it..This just came about from a persistent friend. I new better than to get concerned about it. Just though I would verify with experts. I am changing it tomorrow. Thanks guys.....
post #37 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The rumor that changing the ATF might harm the 4R100 tranny is a bunch of horse hockey. Fresh ATF is not going to hurt a 4R100 tranny. If it were mine, I'd change the ATF immediately, using Mark's procedures, and 20 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

I take it you mean Mobile 1 Syn.
That hurts being money is tight. What is best for the miles I have? Probably syn huh. Just have to cough up the greenbacks and don't wine about it, right? trans more important than cheap fluid.
post #38 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediron View Post
I take it you mean Mobile 1 Syn.
All Mobil 1 ATF is full synthetic.

Quote:
That hurts being money is tight. What is best for the miles I have?
Miles don't matter. How hot your tranny gets is what matters. If you ever see over 210°, you need full synthetic, such as Mobil 1 ATF. If you ever see 205° to 210°, you need synthetic blend, such as MotorCraft MERCON V Synthetic Blend. If you never see 205°, then you can probably get by with Motorcraft dino MERCON V, or even the cheaper Wal-Mart house brand of SuperTech MERCON ATF.

I never saw over 205° on mine, but I used Mobil 1 ATF just in case I ever got in a situation where I would get the tranny really hot.

post #39 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM

trans filter problem

Yesterday at Carquest I bought a 96050 deep pan filter for my 1999 f250 7.3 transmission. The filter I removed was for a deep pan, but a paper in the box showed a picture with a short length filter for 2wd, long for 4wd. I Measured how much the pick-up tube hung down(4 inches+-), the depth of the pan-Right filter? Does the tube support the filter flat on the pan bottom? I installed the filter-(tube in hole) the filter just hung there at an angle, it didn't fasten in at the other end. I centered the filter where a trans screw lined when held up, but fear the filter could get moved over when I put up the pan? Any thoughts? Thanks
post #40 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM

My Photos: (6)
The short 2wd filter is for pre-99 E4OD 2wd trucks. All 4R100s use the longer filter.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #41 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Thank you so very much! I'm on the road to Palm Springs with the wife in 90 seconds, truck, camper, towing the 88 suzuki. Once again, much thanks. John Beck
post #42 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
All Mobil 1 ATF is full synthetic.

Miles don't matter. How hot your tranny gets is what matters. If you ever see over 210°, you need full synthetic, such as Mobil 1 ATF. If you ever see 205° to 210°, you need synthetic blend, such as MotorCraft MERCON V Synthetic Blend. If you never see 205°, then you can probably get by with Motorcraft dino MERCON V, or even the cheaper Wal-Mart house brand of SuperTech MERCON ATF.

I never saw over 205° on mine, but I used Mobil 1 ATF just in case I ever got in a situation where I would get the tranny really hot.
This forum is awesome. I really appreciate the guys who help people out. Thanks guys.
I was always curious what overfilling oil can do to the truck and how much is over full. I did oil this am and ti is about 3/16 above the safe operating line. Could this really hurt the engine?
post #43 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

My Photos: (6)
If the oil is overfilled it can get whipped into foam by the crankshaft. Foamed oil can't lubricate, so you'll have metal to metal wear and if that gets bad enough you'll need a new engine. I don't know how much overfilled is too much. I never fill an engine all the way to the top of the full mark.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #44 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Flushed it! Just completed the flush via the Mark Kovalsky / SmokeyWren Way. Excellent results. Worked just as they said it would. Dropped the pan and replaced the screen/filter. Used M1 Synthetic. Clear tubing was the just the ticket. My dad was the bucket and hose man while I started the engine. Flushing the transmission in the barn with my dad and being by the warmth of the wood stove made it all the better! Thanks for your expert advise and for saving all of us a lot of guesswork.

2001 Excursion Limited 4x4; 7.3L Turbo Diesel Oxford White/Tan Leather
I WISH IT WAS A TRUCK
Current Mileage 180,000

Projects in progress... AIS Air Filter
MarineCo Mod; 6.0 Trans Cooler; Door lock actuators-(Can't get my hands in there to fix it!)

Projects COMPLETED
Mods/Upgrades: 4x4 to 2WD liftgate pistons (Now I don't hit my head); Roof Rack Delete; Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller; 4 Billsteins, MOOG Sway Bar End Links w/grease fittings, MOOG U joints, Moog Ball Joints.
CCV MOD, FRX Mod,
Fuel Bowl Reseal - Diesel O Rings.com O Rings= NO MORE LEAKS!
Hutch Mod, Harpoon Mod, Pre-Pump Baldwin Filter Water Separator
post #45 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Did mine this past Sunday, per the instructions, and with a filter change. Used the Mobil 1 Synthetic. With the wife in the cab, and me doing the rest...start to finish was about an hour.

Very easy. I wish I had back all that money I spent paying someone else to do it these past 10 years.

2003 F-350 SD, 7.3 PSD, Auto, CC, LB, SRW, FX4, 4.10:1 Genuine Gear Ring and Pinions, Detroit Truetrac Differentials F&R, FabTech Ladder Bars, SuperChips 1705, EBPV delete, IH Up-pipes, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust, Ford AIS Air Cleaner, ISSPRO Boost, Trans, and EGT Guages, Kenwood DNX6160 with Nav & XM, Ford AIC, Brite Box, 203* T-Stat and Billet Housing, Tru-Cool 4739 MAX, ProComp StageII 4" Lift on Eagle 589's with 35x12.50x16.5 BFG AT KO's, Centramatics, WeatherGuard Toolbox, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover w/Companion 5th Wheel Hitch & Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, PacBrake PRXB.

2009 Forest River XLR 3712SA ToyHauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in