The Diesel Stop banner

CPS Testing Information

121K views 126 replies 38 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
What type of CPS Cam Position Sensor do you have?

The old, original Black units are the best, the International
1825899C93 that were manufactured around 2000 to 2003.

The new Ford/IH Gray or blue units suck, they have about 1/8"
of plastic covering the hall sensor and they are not centered,
they are off-center almost 1/8" throwing the timing way off
giving high EGT's and poor fuel economy.

Here is a new IH Blue CPS, I cut the end plastic off that was 1/8" thick
and put silicone around the sensor. Notice how the sensor is off set?

Here is a photo of a Borg Warner CPS that has a much better hall sensor,
USA made and it's centered. I cut them all open to inspect what type each
sensor uses and if they were centered or off-set.

Here is the old stock "the best" CPS from 2000 NOS stock, notice the sensor is centered and there is no plastic covering the sensor.

Here is a pic of a CPS 'Air Gap' instrument, it measures the gap.
Some engines need to be shimmed the 466 for instance, and even the
7.3L works better with 1 or 2 shims sometimes. Depends on the type of
CPS you are using. If you don't have this 300.00+ instrument you can simply
add a single shim to your CPS and see how it runs. You may or may not notice a difference without software ie: AutoEnginuity. My Van seems to be dialed-in using one shim with an old, original Black CPS.

Here is a pic of how many CPS I tested and cut open.

The CPS is specified at about 18#s ft. torque to install it.

This is the one most sensitive, important parts of the vehicle
that will either make it run like a vette or a ****box.

When you look at this pic notice the cam sensor counts the teeth
as the wheel spins, it counts the smallest tooth between 5-6 (It's so small you cannot write on it) and the largest
tooth at 11 and this thing is spinning like crazy. This is responsible for the timing, fuel delivery, amount of fuel etc. So the new CPS that have the 1/8" of plastic covering the hall sensor are already at a disadvantage. The CPS has a magnetic hall sensor and it counts the teeth. It needs to count them perfectly.

On the old, original Black CPS the magnetic hall sensor has such a strong magnet you can pick up small metal objects with it, like a small key, or large nail clippers etc. I noticed the stronger the magnetic signal, the better the CPS can count the teeth correctly thus giving you optimum performance.

the new Blue or gray CPS from Ford/IH have such a weak magnetic strength due to the 1/8" plastic covering the sensor and the fact the sensor is off-set from center, it's wasting so much fuel and causing high EGT's.

To sum it up,

If you have one of the new CPS units in your truck, try to either get a new Borg Warner black unit or an old International 1825899C93.

When you call IH to get this part#, it will refer you to the new CPS
that is the poor design. You will need to get an old stock unit.

And the Borg Warner BWD unit only has about 1/32" of thin plastic
covering the end cap on the hall sensor and it's only blocking the signal a little bit. But you can still cut the end off with a dremmil tool like I did to expose the hall sensor and the unit will work 100% this way as nothing is blocking the magnetic hall sensor itself.

I tried to explain this in easy way, but it's much more complex.

The CPS is really the brain & heart of the truck put together.

I tried over 15 CPS units in my van, and I found one old stock unit
that had the best magnetic strength and it made the van run great.
I get 18-20 on a 80HP tune at 67 mph 1886 rpm or about.

See less See more
#75 ·
I would choke it the exact same way I did. Snap them over each individual wire. It should be a snug fit. I also used a larger one to snap over ALL of the already choked wires after the individual chokes leaving the wiper motor. Since I've had it the way I do in my thread CPS Search and Effort Pay Off, there have been no shut offs with one snow storm where I plowed with them on for over 48 hrs. with the wipers on intermitant. I did this project in September. Lots of wiper use in all modes and about 7k miles.

#77 ·
Mine isn't shutting off, it got a nasty miss. My wipers weren't on. So I'm not sure it's got anything to do witht hat harness. I just wonder what other kind of noise and interference affects these sensors, and if it's a design flaw that makes mine cut out like it did, or if there is actually some other kind of EMI under the hood. I'll get some more chokes and do the sensor harness as well, wee is that works. I'll post up progress as I do more testing.

#78 ·
When I first put mine in, my dark blue International was giving me a miss I could feel in the steering wheel at idle. It was less than a year old. After a week of that I got nervous because I was going to the Ocean on vacation. I decided to replace it so I went to NAPA to get a CPS where it cut out completely in the parking lot. I had tried most all others on market so I tried the ELCHIN. Take off for Ocean three hours away with no problems. Couple nights later I'm in truck in front of restaurant in truck waiting for my table after ten minutes or so with the wipers on intermittent and that's when I felt the misses and then the stall. It did this once every day for two days till the rain stopped screwing up my vacation and the fishing. When I got home that's when I performed the choke installation outlined in my thread.
If yours is cutting out while moving please remove it untill you choke and test it as outlined in my thread.

#79 ·
I already put the IH CPS back in. I should have some time this week to add more chokes. I'm not sure they will fix it, it hasn't been raining and mine doesn't die when I turn on the intermittent wipers. I'll put the chokes on just to see of it works, because when it's not misfiring, it's very smooth.

#82 ·
I replaced my injector harnesses (under the valve covers) last year. Amazing what damage happens when your glow plugs die and you wait too long to replace them. I'll pick up a bunch of chokes on the way home from work tonight. I'll spend the next couple of nights on this. I will document and post results.

#83 ·
As I've said i have the chokes on Cps and wiper loom and all the grounds around and associated with the PCM and motor , no hiccups with the wiper on intermittent or full in heavy rain to this day.
The black IH Cps as Nick has said can stop at any time on the go , I'd hate to be going down a steep grade with the camper in tow and the Cps fails .

#85 ·
I can't remember, but I don't think the harnesses are doorman.
https://youtu.be/bc5VkfZjums
7 seconds into video you can hear it and see the tach skip. I did choke the CPS harness and the ground on the pass side of the engine bay. I have purchased all of the chokes Radio shack near me has. I'll probably order some online. Same as this weekend, no rain, no wipers on. In fact I can turn them on and the truck doesn't skip a beat.

#87 · (Edited)
I added a braided shielding sleeve to the CPS harness and replaced the choke. I then followed the harness up the block to where it ties to the main harness, I added three chokes there to all the wires in that harness. This issue has nothing to do with the wipers, that problem was fixed when I put chokes on the wiper harness, I can run intermittent parked, stopped in gear and driving and there is no issue. After I put some thought into it, I figured it would be time for data. The little cut out I posted the video of, doesn't happen until it hits full operating temp. I had Torqe on my tablet and figured it happens between 30 and 35% throttle, according to the gauge. I'm thinking the sensor is just defective because it has no issues until full temp. I started the truck and didn't drive it until the temp gauge started moving. drove perfect until I hit full temp. Again, no rain, no wipers, this problem is not related to the windshield wipers. I'll try to return it and see if a replacement will work. If they will even return it.
Braided Shielding
[/URL][/IMG]
With split loom over it

Three chokes where the harness from the CPS plug meets the main harness
[/URL][/IMG]
Torque gauge cluster
[/URL][/IMG]

#88 ·
So I took the CPS back to NAPA and got it exchanged. Installed it and took the truck out. Go tit to full temp, no issues. Parked it did some minor shopping, drove it home no issues. I hope I can say problem solved. She sure does purr very nicely with the Echlin CPS. I think the one I got was just defective. Since I already had the chokes on the wiper harness and the cps, I'll eave them on, my wipers do not cause any issues either. Thanks Nick for posting that part number.

#93 ·
I've had the elchin's (css1103) CPS in for 800 miles with no problems , BUT the other day i went to pick up a friend from the Airport (TDS member from California ) who was in Australia on business , he had decided to visit me in Tasmania. All was good when i started the truck it idled so smooth and run the best it ever run before so after it warmed up i went to the Airport, parked the truck and picked up my friend , we drove through the terminal car park just idling through to the boom gate , once through the gate we idled around the corner (at about 10 miles an hour) and it STALLED I looked at my TDS friend and said F@*$in oath she's stopped , so we both got out of the truck to start the change out of the elchin's CPS , as you can imagine coming out of the Airport there was a lot of traffic coming out the exit so i put the hazard lights on and my friend set up a safety triangle down the right hand lane, (this all took about 2 minutes) the motor was at operating temperature so really hot , i thought i would try the key again before we ripped the CPS out and it started so we packed up all the gear we had set up and toured off to my house and when the motor had cooled down we changed out the CPS for a known good one.
We traveled around the State for the next week looking at the sights (500 miles) with no hi-cups , SO was it just a dud elchin's CPS or what.
I have cut the end off the suspect elchins CPS to show you all what's inside and how thick the plastic case is that covers the end of the CPS (.5mm)
the hall sensor is the latest one (#675).
I'm not saying the elchin's is no good i just couldn't trust that cps again, i have another elchin's css1103 in the workshop that i can test but that will be later.

Attachments

#94 · (Edited)
Australian Homeland Security zapped it with an X-ray at that gate.:lol:
Total bummer. Hope the coil on your IPR is breaking up and then working or something weird. But you know me, I'm all about safety so if it was in fact the culprit and not something else, I would not trust it for you. Looks like you are measuring something. How does it compare to the second Echlin?

#95 ·
The second elchin's hasn't been fitted yet.
No AHS has zapped the electrics on the truck, it worked great when i returned my American friend back to the Airport and through the same terminal drive.
IPR working the same as normal.
It was just a dud.:icon_mad:

#97 ·
Yes i am proceeding with caution now.
The way i see it is that any of these electronic products can fail at any time so it doesn't mater if it's IH , BW or elchin's, if it has some type of man made electronics built into it, it's possible it can fail any time .(it's just been proved to me)
The failed elchin's i had at the Airport could of happened at any time like in the City at rush hour, or on the highway at speed so any of these cps' s could be a fatal problem.
I would really hate to change a CPS out in built up traffic or have the truck towed to my workshop.
Just my 2 bob's worth:sneaky:

#98 ·
Has anyone tried the Airtex 5S1292 CPS, it's looks very similar to the grey recall one, the magnet end is small like the recall one too.
It has silver colored pins.
I put the multimeter on it, it read 467 ohms which isn't to bad, i also noticed the magnet isn't as strong as the elchins either.

Attachments

#99 ·
I had one and it worked but no noticeable improvement. So far the purple one and the delphi are the two best in my truck. Been meaning to try the elchin.

#100 ·
Echlin CSS103 data

All,

Swapped out my old grey CPS for the Napa Echlin CSS1103. No problems with the wipers, seems smoother and more power, but likely all in my head. Pics and PERDALs for before and after attached. High for Cyl #8 was 6.7 so I used that number for the conditional formatting in both spreadsheets so our visual friends can just notice reds, yellows, greens, etc. Descriptive stats also in the workbooks.

Attachments

#101 ·
This may have been discussed already but I read on another forum that the wiper motor shares the same ground as the CPS and PCM and that if you isolate the wiper ground that operating the wipers will no longer interfere with the PCM.

Is there any truth to this?

thanks

#102 ·
If you look at my post #93 you'll read that i isolated all the grounds and fitted ferrite chokes on the CPS and wiper harness but still failed , maybe just had a faulty Elchins Css1103.
It did make the truck idle smoother and sound a little quieter, and the Perdals where within spec, a lot better that the re-call grey one.

#106 ·
any news on the quest for the ultimate CPS? Thanks for the great detailed info. I am going to dig around and see what I have. I think I may have an old original black that I installed upon first failure before the recall.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.