EBV OIL LEAK TSB 04-20-2 PRELOAD - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My thing is get that oil up to temps as quick as possible to cut down on wear. I also idle a good bit in winter keeping aerosol cans of shop stuff warm while doing repairs or they won't work. When plowing I will have periods when I idle talking to the owner away from truck talking to or helping my worker.
I am glad you like it blue. Doing write ups with pictures is way more work and frustrating with sunshine and angles of view and all that jazz I had never really figured on during the first write up I did. It multiplies the actual time involved in getting the job done.
If it clarifies something for someone, cuts down on trips to the auto parts store and makes the job go easier for one person I accomplished what I set out to do. So thank you for the compliment as it makes it worth the effort.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 10-18-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
this should be a sticky. not much info out there about rebuilding the pedestal. and great pictures as usual
DITTO.................. Someone should look into setting up more sticky's.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 AM

The reason you want 10 pounds of preload on that spring is because it holds the valve open. Engine oil pressure closes the valve and spring pressure opens it.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 PM

I definitely agree with you. some folks wouldn't benefit from getting rid it. it all depends on what you do with the truck and the conditions its in.

im not arguing with you at all just giving a different input.

I think you give some of the best write-ups ive seen.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

No, three pounds will hold it open with no plate flutter.
The name of the bulletin is oil leak for a reason.
The plate in the spring double seal assembly has rubber on it. There is also a valve stem umbrella type seal further back on rod.
Without ten pounds th rubber seal on plate does not seal properly and the whole assembly becomes askew and start shifting and rocking. The disc that has large cup seal on it that the oil pressure acts against must be kept centered and square as much as possible because there is no centering bushing on outlet of hydraulic cylinder due to the arcing radius the EBV linkage tab travels during activavation and release.
So to recap:
Unstable seal arrangement on two of the three seals in that assembly inside of cylinder.
The front plate needs to be pushing hard against front wall of cylinder or it can not seal.
This assembly needs to be pushing hard against front of cylinder to keep rod and seal plate assembly centered so the back large cup seal that the oil pressure acts against is not tilting so when it DOES rock due to arc radius travel it does not tilt so much that it's very shallow cup seal lips do not allow pressurized oil to rush past them.
This is how it works and is why they want ten pounds, hence the name TSB oil leak.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
No, three pounds will hold it open with no plate flutter.
The name of the bulletin is oil leak for a reason.
The plate in the spring double seal assembly has rubber on it. There is also a valve stem umbrella type seal further back on rod.
Without ten pounds th rubber seal on plate does not seal properly and the whole assembly becomes askew and start shifting and rocking. The disc that has large cup seal on it that the oil pressure acts against must be kept centered and square as much as possible because there is no centering bushing on outlet of hydraulic cylinder due to the arcing radius the EBV linkage tab travels during activavation and release.
So to recap:
Unstable seal arrangement on two of the three seals in that assembly inside of cylinder.
The front plate needs to be pushing hard against front wall of cylinder or it can not seal.
This assembly needs to be pushing hard against front of cylinder to keep rod and seal plate assembly centered so the back large cup seal that the oil pressure acts against is not tilting so when it DOES rock due to arc radius travel it does not tilt so much that it's very shallow cup seal lips do not allow pressurized oil to rush past them.
This is how it works and is why they want ten pounds, hence the name TSB oil leak.

Makes me glad I took the time to preload mine when I changed out the turbo. It wasn't leaking and I didn't really want to tear into it so I just change the outer seal and set the preload as per the kit instructions, 10 or 11 lbs IIRC. No leaks yet.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Yepper, good move.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Nice job.

Some day you need to take some underhood pics with all of the powdercoated parts.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM

the world isn't ready for that match underhood bling haha
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Here are some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	55921  

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

With reservoir on. I have black screws for tank lid. The red ones are a no go.
It was not nor is it now finished.
There are other photos under my write up... XDP billet, Barder's 360 applied performance actuator.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	161
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	55929  

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 10-20-2014 at 09:30 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 AM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
i know guys who live in -30 weather and have deleted it, there truck warms up the exact same.
Not true. When running down the highway cold, with the EBPV active, my EGT runs at almost 900F, when the oil warms enough for the EBPV to deactivate, boost comes up and EGT drops to around 600F. You can't say that 600F EGT will warm the engine as quickly as 900F.

Copngrats Nick, you just got a thread moved to the FAQ Subforum. Good Job.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 10-21-2014 at 02:12 AM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you fellas, glad yall like it and find it helpful.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

This is what happens especially with diesels when blow by develops acids.
You can have acids in the oil of an engine that just sits and the stuff just etches away.
Save the cold 7.3 Save the EBV pedastal.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	157
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	55953  

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 01:25 AM

i thought the ebpv wasnt supposed to activate while your driving? i thought it only came on at idle. just curious

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in