The Diesel Stop banner

First Aid Kit

14K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  leemarkus12 
#1 ·
As a new 7.3 owner, what would you suggest for a first aid kit? What are the tools, parts ect you would not leave home without? I will be towing my 5th wheel trailer and boat to places that have few mechanics and they will be far apart. So, I need to be able to basically take care of myself. Give me that good list I can put together and feel safe.

#2 · (Edited)
Tools:
1/4" & 3/8" sockets and ratchets with extensions both SAE and Metric.
Wrenches in SAE and Metric-1/4" - 1" (like sizes in metric)
Various screwdrivers, pliers, & Allen wrenches
Vice Grip pliers (regular and needle nose)
Flashlight and mirror
Magnetic pick-up tool
Hammer
Punches
Pry bars
Strap Wrench
multi-meter

I have more than that in my toolbox that I carry with me. I tend to over-pack, but I also have surprised people when I pull out odd ball things on the road.

Parts: (this can get expensive!)
CPS
ICP Sensor
IPR (not required but nice to have, also requires specialty tools to replace)
UVCH
GPR
Radiator hoses (upper and lower)
Serpentine belt
Various O-rings (fuel & oil)
Fuel Filter
gallon of oil
2 qts of trans fluid
Brake fluid
1-2 gallons of 50/50 mix coolant
Starter and Alternator (not required but good to have, I replace them and keep the cores for spares)
about 10-25' of wire and misc. crimp on connectors.
Spare fuses and bulbs

My wife thinks I have way too much stuff behind the seat. I have not needed anything that I carry, I have used parts on other peoples trucks. If I see a fellow 7.3L PSD with a hood up, I will almost always stop and see if they need help. More than once I have had a part someone else needed, and was able to get them on the road. I like to think of these parts as trinkets to keep the "road gremlins" away, if I am fully prepared they will not harm me! :jester:

After working on airplanes for 20+ years I see a tremendous advantage to replacing something before it fails. Changing a part in my shop is much easier than on the road somewhere.

#3 ·
The only things I would add to Ken's excellent list :thumbsup: is a working cell phone, and a printout of the "Powerstroke Help Network". Power Stroke Help Network - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

It's a little stale in a few areas, but worth keeping at hand. Knowing who to ask for help is very valuable.

#4 ·
Talk about asking for it and getting it, I'm almost overwhelmed by the answer. Now, I need a dictionary of the abbreviations so I can understand what was said.

From long experience, I agree that fixing it in the shop is a whole lot easier (cleaner, cheaper, better lit) than crawling around on the ground out on the road.

Thanks for the help. I will begin assembling the necessary parts immediately.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
No need for a dictionary, just use the acronym link below my signature!

Don't forget the ever popular bailing wire! I carry stainless steel safety wire with me too and zip ties.

#5 ·
I would add;
multimeter
test light-(great for checking fuses)
assortment of the correct fuses
spare relay (for IDM, PCM, F/P) They are interchangable
reference material (so you know WHAT you need to fix)
electrical tape
rags
trouble light that hooks onto the battery posts
and the most important item, DUCT TAPE!!:lol:

#6 ·
I would add;
multimeter
Ken had that covered.
and the most important item, DUCT TAPE!!:lol:
D'OH!!
How the heck did I miss that? My license to be an Alaskan is in jeopardy now! :lol:

ICP Sensor (Injection Control Pressure sensor - located just behind the alternator on the driver's side head.)
IPR (not required but nice to have, also requires specialty tools to replace) Gonna have to disagree with the "not required", as if it dies on you, you're not going anywhere till replaced. IPR = Injection Pressure Regulator - located on the back side of the High Pressure Oil Pump down in the dark recessed of the engine valley.
UVCH = Under Valve Cover Harness - Sends power to the injectors and glow plugs, connected to the valve cover gasket under the valve cover, hence the name.
GPR = Glow Plug Relay - that's actually something you can work around if you have jumper cables. Use the jumper cables to power the outupt side of the relay to start and fix it after you get off the road into a shop, although it's only a 15 min fix (OK on the road if the weather's decent).

#8 ·
If this is a used truck off a lot, I would suggest looking and making sure all the parts for the jack are there. Somewhere, there is a mountain of scissor jacks that interferes with compass readings for for a 50mile radius. The jack should be behind the seat, and the rods are on top of the radiator support.

#10 ·
I downloaded and printed the acronym list. Now, I'm going to go through and print the posts related to problems and diagnostic procedures. This should keep me busy for awhile. I'm well aware that some small and even inexpensive parts (not too many of those on a diesel) can leave you doa on the road.

I did have a jump on a couple of things, I don't leave home without my duct tape and bailing wire. Actually, I use electric fence wire since I can't find bailing wire anymore.
:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I forgot the simple one!!!!!!! CPS :bash:

Guess because I have 4 spares, that slipped my mind:jester:

#13 ·
I forgot the simple one!!!!!!! CPS :bash:

Guess because I have 4 spares, that slipped my mind:jester:
Hey, don't beat yourself up too much Ken. Neither tinman or myself caught that.

I'll send this up into the FAQ subforum. Good info.

#12 ·
I vote to sticky this thread! That list is complete and it would be very handy to have those items in the truck or close by.

#14 ·
Did I miss seeing "JUMPER CABLES" ??? I carry Two Sets for "LONG DISTANCE JUMPS" LoL and a five gallon fuel can....

#15 ·
Yes. Forgot about them too, they are under my back seat with the other must have........ A roll of TP!

#16 ·
Oh yeah TP... If I lived up in "Bear Country" That may come in handy! Ha Ha

#17 ·
Since I am mostly camping with my rig, I always carry a 5 gallon bucket. Has many uses not the least of which is something to stand on the reach into the engine bay in a pinch. Also carry water to radiator in an emergency, ect.

#22 ·
I think the F/P is fuel pump. There is a relay for each of these systems in the fuse panels and the OP suggests having "one" as a spare because it is interchangeable and can be used in any of the positions.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.