The Diesel Stop banner

Forged Rods? - How can I tell?

78K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
This is a frequent question on the forums and short of looking for yourself through the inspection port, it was hard to know for sure because apparently some later engines had forged rods after the initial introduction of PMR. I found this recent message on the Hypermax site re:forged rods.

Here is the engine serial number break down for the forged and powdered connecting rods. Check you engine serial number on the valve cover build sticker or you need to look at the block where the oil cooler is bolted to it .
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered
Or you can break them then you know what you have-Ha Ha-Just kidding
The reason for the break in serial numbers is a "test" run to be sure there were not any issues with the powdered rods. Once the process was production tested the powered rod process was used until the end of production.
Moderators: Perhaps you can make this a sticky as it is a frequently asked question.

#2 ·
Does anybody have any info as far as dates of production for the listed numbers? I can only read the last three digits on my valve cover and can't find it on the block. Manufacture date listed below the serial number however, is 25 Aug 00.

Anybody know?

#3 ·
their was a guy on this site that had all the details for the all the international diesels from the 6.9 right threw the last 7.3 powerstroke. It gave all the updates and changes threw out the entire production cycles for all of these engines. I believe that it was posted in the idi forum. If I remembered correctly it said that up to 2001.5 7.3 powerstroke had forged rods. hope this helps.

#4 ·
checking for Forged vs. PMR

Do you guys get this # off the left valve cover off a small white sticker?

If so I got #1566660. Also found BE 002 AA, 15 JAN 2001,

1NVXH07 3ANA do these other mean anything? thanks

#6 ·
Probably, but the Brazilian built motors don't follow the same rules. You can pull the view plug and look to see if you have rod bolts or nuts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Ok thanks for getting back to me so quick :)
Another question how do i get to this view plug ? I have been looking and can't see it, could it be hidden behind something on the RHD version ?
I am guessing because it is a 2004 build engine for a 2005 truck that it is the powdered rods.
Can anyone recommend a good long block with forged rods and fire ringed heads that i can just put my new 200cc injectors, gtp38r turbo HPXover and fuel system upgrade onto and swap in with the hydrachip i already have in the truck with no core return policy ?
they want 15,000-17,000 just for a rebuilt motor here without forged rods and I'm not paying that.
Again thanks in advance for any help.

#9 ·
Another question how do i get to this view plug ? I have been looking and can't see it, could it be hidden behind something on the RHD version ?

Could be, but one would think it would be more visible with the steering / brakes moved to the "wrong" side...

Reactions: nadamamasboy
#8 ·
with conservative tuning you should be fine with pmrs. and it depends on your driving style. dp's tuning is too aggressive for pmrs, gear head and php would be a solid choice.

#10 ·
Interesting video RT, thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
great thanks for the video. and yeah haha wrong side :) i know it costs us 2.5-3 times the price for the privilege of this RHD and for a third the selection of cars. my f250 xlt 7.3SD cost 95K to buy stock and new.
I have the PHP hydra chip but i have to buy a new engine now. she has lost compression in a few cylinders and just burning tonnes of oil. it had about 420-430 whp with this bad bottom end only running 25psi max so when i get this new forged long block i will crank it up 35psi-40 if possible.
But the transmission doesn't shift when cruising until above 2300 in any gear which is really annoying. hope the guys i bought it all off at Pure diesel will get back to me soon with a corrected lot of tunes.
Also anyone recommend a company to supply a fresh built 500-600hp long block forged rods and fire ring heads with exhaust headers and up pipe upgrades as i haven't had any answers from the 6 or 7 places i have found.
or just point me to the right thread.
Again thank you so much gentlemen for your help it has been a great help. very happy i found this forum.

#12 ·
Well, after 13 years I finally looked. I have a 9/2001 build date and I have a 2002 with PMR. I finally confirmed today. Oh well. I was hoping, but I knew I had a slim chance. I kept my chip to only 80hp because of these damn rods. I like wiggle room before it could go Kaboom.

#15 ·
I have a 2001 F-350 with 7.3 power stroke diesel that has a build date of nov 2000. was wondering if I have forged rods .
Read the quote in Post #1 above.

Welcome to the forum.

#14 ·
Brought back a old thread huh?...I’ll bite:). I have a 1/01 build and I just checked and found I have forged rods on my 01 f-250

#17 ·
The pm rods are brittle compared to the forged. If there is a severe malfunction of the piston pin orientation, then it's likely the pm rod will break rather than bend. More than likely no matter which rod you have, if you run into a broken piston your likely to need a complete engine regardless which rod type is in use

#19 · (Edited)
2001 is the Model Year (MY).
8/2000 is the assembly date from the factory (Build Date).

Read the quote in Post #1 above.

Welcome to the forum.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.