Hard/No Start? Check here first. - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Hard/No Start? Check here first.

Tons and Tons and Tons of White smoke.. When it stays started... I have to hold the pedal down to keep it from stalling.. but it still ends up stalling.. But, there is MAJOR white smoke when i start...

Any Ideas?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Ok.. Well.. I replaced my batteries.. Still no good.. Now the truck doesnt even start.. And I changed my oil.. 5w30 ...Sounds like it is going to but never does.. I dont know what it is.. Could it be the glow plugs? or are my injectors messed up??? Help!
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM

glow plug relay.

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 PM

Replaced.. I finally got it started...

We will see how it acts tomorrow..

Thanks for the Help...

Talk to you in the AM
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM

REplaced Both Batteries.. GPR.. Changed the oil... Now the truck works like a charm.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help Guys.

Mike
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:35 PM

Wow, I just joind this "Site" and after reading the posts on here (from very well informed owners-Thank You) I hope to have my problem (Cold Start, Eradic Idle) issue fixed tomorrow. Thank You All... Happy Holidays

2000 F-350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab
Lariat 4x4 Gold/Black
Diablo Predator Tuner
Mac Cold Air Kit
Magna Flow Stainless Steel Exhaust
3.5" Down Pipe
4" Exhaust
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 PM

I bought my 2000 used, 46,000 miles on her, what battery's do you all suggest to use ? when replacing them. Mine still have the "Stock" Diehards.. ?

Lariat 4x4 Gold/Black
Diablo Predator Tuner
Mac Cold Air Kit
3.5" Down Pipe
4" Exhaust
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM

>>Will it still start in warm weather with a faulty GPR? Do they completely fail or get tempermental???

Depends on if it fails open or closed. If it fails open, yes it will. If, as in the case of mine, the control relay fries or shorts, you will blow the ignition fuse. A 30 amp on my 99 350, right column, bottom. Removing the hot control wire will allow you to keep the fuse in and start. Besure to tape the end of the control wire so it will not go to ground while you obtain a replacement.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Awesome thread and I have printed it out as I just started having issues. My issue is that first thing in the morning (mid-30's) the engine cranks and cranks and cranks. After a few tries (key on then off), it will finally start along with alot of smoke out the exhaust (enough I can get out and walk thru the cloud and "enjoy" the diesel smell first thing in the morning. Is this thread related to something I should check first, or do I have bigger problems? I will say, that for the rest of the day, the motor starts with no problem even after prolonged periods of rest.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 AM

My Photos: (38)

Do you plug it in? Are your GPs and Relay working well. Do you run Synth oil? Yes, there a lot of things here that should help you. If your truck starts fine the rest of the day, it's just sluggish. You should be able to track down the culprit using the stuff on this thread.

Good Luck.
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Scraper:

My '02 was behaving just like you describe (I live at 8000', and have had some sub-zero mornings in the last few weeks). like you, it would start fine throughout the rest of the day.

I considered replacing the batteries, then found this thread. I changed out the GPR with the NAPA GPR109 ($25, and about 15 minutes), and when I had my oil changed (at the dealer) I requested a winter weight oil - they put in 10w-30.

Starting problems GONE - starts like it should. I think the GPR was the ticket, but with the lighter weight oil (which I'm sure helped), it sure runs quieter.

Phil

2002 F350 Lariet 4x4 CC SB 7.3
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 05:22 PM

I have 12.3 at the large post with the rubber boot on it. At the large post with the yellow & brown wires I have .5v. I guess I have to replace it. That post always had voltage to it every time I tested it until today! The rubber boot broke off in little pieces, do I have to replace it? Thanks
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:03 AM

Ok, I replaced the (2) Batteries (Motorcraft 850's) and the GPR-111 Relay. Last night it got down to 38 degrees. I started her up, she stalled about 2 min out, then was a little bugger to get started again. This time she ran and warmed up properly. Now I did not plug the block heater in. I have no idea what weight Oil is in her at the current time , but I might be going to 10w30.... Any ideas guys. Ceece

Lariat 4x4 Gold/Black
Diablo Predator Tuner
Mac Cold Air Kit
3.5" Down Pipe
4" Exhaust
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:53 AM

so if it won't start at all, then eventually TONS of white smoke comes out, then probably, almost for sure, it is the GPR. There is a possibility that most of your glowplugs all went bad at the same time, but if you believe in Karma, then go buy a lottery ticket to even out the odds.

If it starts right up, but blows white smoke for 1 to 5 minutes, and runs really rough at first, odds are pretty good that one or more glow plugs have gone bad, or it could be REALLY FRIGGING cold, like below zero, adn you didn't plug in.

If it starts right up, runs really good for the first minute or 3 with a touch of blue smoke, then all is good with glow plugs.

If after 2 or 3 minutes it kind of fades off and dies, almost always without white smoke other then steam, I'd be looking at fuel pump, fuel pump relay, plugged filter, or jelled fuel. Of the three, jelled fuel is the most common at temps freezing or below.

Powerserve in the white bottle. Your friend.

I'm sure there are other products that work as well, I've just never tried anything else.

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM

Just finished the NAPA GPR-109 install a few minutes ago.

A couple of observations:

The GPR-109 is actualy reclocked to 90 degrees counter clockwise. So the wiring clocks 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Although several have said it really does not matter on the big posts which big wire goes to which... That I cannot say. But if you look at the molded in pattern of ridges of the two and clock those the same way... it ends up 90 degree's *counter* clockwise. And thats how I wired it up.

Unfortunately its fairly warm here today and did not get all that cold last night and I forgot to unplug the block heater from the timer last night so I cannot get a really good diagnostic check on it to see if it fixed the problem. I will have to wait for a good cold night and thats a few days away. But.... there was instant start and there was no white smoke at all. And even with block heater in on a really cold morning I was getting a tad for a half a minute. So I think its indeed fixed. But will have to wait and see... but at least thas eliminated from the equation.

And... sadly enough... my "Powerstroke" plastic engine decorator cover, one of the studs broke. I took it off because I was going to change my Fuel filter in addition to this while I was up under there. And one of the two studs gave it up. So at at some point I will have to drill that stud out and mount a new bolt there for my play pretty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

2001 F-350 SuperCrewzer, Crew Cab Dualy LB XLT, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 LS, Oxford White w/ Silver lower tone, Med Grey interior, Power 40/20/40, Auto w/ Dacco Super Hauler TC and Magnafine, Towing Pkg w/ Dual Alts, Ford AIC, Prodigy, Gentex Mirror, Cobra 29WXNWST, 5ft Firestik II, X Monitor, Baldwin Coolant Filter, Sony OH Video system, Yakima Racks and basket, 45 gal auxiliary tank and 12V Pump, Towing a 26 Foot Prowler Lite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in