The Diesel Stop banner

This is how to repair the "non-serviceable" plug on the HPOP

77K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dbluck1 
#1 ·
This is how to repair the plug that is on the bottom of the HPOP (the plug that you have to remove the HPOP to get to). This plug is listed in the service manual as "non-serviceable"/"do not remove".

After tracking down the leak on my HPOP, I found it to be the plug on the bottom that is not serviced in any of the kits that I read about. After hearing the horror stories about people trying to repair this leak only to have the threads strip out or the HPOP not build pressure afterwards, I made a trip to the local International dealer. I was able to speak with a very knowledgable service guy that informed me that there is indeed a service kit for this problem. He stated that the DT466 I-6 engine uses a very similar HPOP and there was actually a recall that addressed this issue. The recall was only for the I-6 though so that is why many people wouldn't know about it. He took me back and showed me how to fix the problem and while I was there I picked up the repair kit that has the instructions,new plug, o-ring, and loctite (the kit contains extra parts that aren't used on the 7.3 HPOP). The part # for this kit is 1842906C92. I would scan the instructions but I do not have a scanner, sorry. The instructions basically state that the plug should be heated before removal whch should reduce the chances of stripping out the threads. Also, before any plug is removed, the HPOP should be positioned straight up and down with the machined face down and the snap ring end up so that the "ferry plug check ball" is not disturbed. I hope this helps alot of people that don't want to/can't pony up the money for a new pump.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fat_Batster said:
This is how to repair the plug that is on the bottom of the HPOP (the plug that you have to remove the HPOP to get to). This plug is listed in the service manual as "non-serviceable"/"do not remove".

After tracking down the leak on my HPOP, I found it to be the plug on the bottom that is not serviced in any of the kits that I read about. After hearing the horror stories about people trying to repair this leak only to have the threads strip out or the HPOP not build pressure afterwards, I made a trip to the local International dealer. I was able to speak with a very knowledgable service guy that informed me that there is indeed a service kit for this problem. He stated that the DT466 I-6 engine uses a very similar HPOP and there was actually a recall that addressed this issue. The recall was only for the I-6 though so that is why many people wouldn't know about it. He took me back and showed me how to fix the problem and while I was there I picked up the repair kit that has the instructions,new plug, o-ring, and loctite (the kit contains extra parts that aren't used on the 7.3 HPOP). The part # for this kit is 1842906C92. I would scan the instructions but I do not have a scanner, sorry. The instructions basically state that the plug should be heated before removal whch should reduce the chances of stripping out the threads. Also, before any plug is removed, the HPOP should be positioned straight up and down with the machined face down and the snap ring end up so that the "ferry plug check ball" is not disturbed. I hope this helps alot of people that don't want to/can't pony up the money for a new pump.
In my case, the threads came out with the plug. It would have needed a heli-coil to repair it. Does the International repair kit for this plug solve that problem?

#4 ·
I have a small leak leaving oil in the valley and I checked all connections on the sides of the HPOP and found nothing but when I rubbed under the pump, I found fresh oil. Does this sound more like the plug you are talking about or the ICP? I have read about "O" rings, ICP & bad pumps so I am alittle confused on what to look at next. I don't want to pony up for a new pump either if I can fix it myself.

#6 ·
I just did the same fix and purchased the kit from International as well, about $75.00. I cleaned up the threads and used the original plug, not the one included in the kit.

Mine blew the original O ring and the plug was easy to turn without much force, no heating needed.

Only have a few hundred miles on it since it has been re-installed but t is not leaking.

#9 ·
HPOP= High Pressure Oil Pump

What is a "HPOP"? Or an "IP". Is there a place I could use to look up these abbreviations? I know it's easier to use them, but being fairly new at this, I have no clue what you're talking about.

HPOP High Pressure Oil Pump

IP Injector Pressure should be IPS Injector Pressure Sensor or IPR Injector Pressure Regulator They are all part of the high pressure oil system that runs the injectors.

Hope this helps Sound kind of strange untill you get used to it. :read:

Keep learning, it's a good thing..........:icon_wink:

#10 ·
good luck on reusing the plug, it only worked a couple months for me, then blew all of the threads out with the plug, along with a bunch of oil. Seattle injector had a new Bosch hpop for $250+-.

#11 ·
Diesel O rings at dieselorings.com has a kit and full instructions for less than $30 for the non-serviceable plug.

I bought their Extended O-Ring Set to rebuild leaking oil line o-ring and was very happy with their turn around and instructions.

#12 ·
buyer beware!!! The plugs are red lock-tighted in and pull threads when start leaking

Do not re seal an hpop unless you want a tow bill in the near future. They only seem to leak when threads get stressed due to high pressure oil. Seattle injector sells new Bosch hpop's for under $500. I did the o-ring kit and 2 weeks later a plug blew out and left me stranded.

#14 ·
I have rebuilt mine in the past with a new plug and had no problems.
DENNY

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.