The Diesel Stop banner

o-ring sizes, can we get a "sticky"

44K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  potlicker 
#1 ·
1. For the fuel drain valve it is #202 viton.
2. For the HPOP hoses and aftermarket crossovers- it is a #5 boss o-ring or -905 (90 durometer .414 ID .072 wd)

Can someone add the pedistal o-rings, IPR o-ring and whatever else they might know? It would likely save time for all of us. It beats searching through the archives. Thanks

#2 ·
Here is some info (credit goes to Calico5 - from an old post he made):

The o-rings on the HPOP system are standard SAE straight-thread ORB (o-ring boss) type.

For the -6 fitting (the ones on the HPOP) the o-ring is a "-906" (.468" id x .078" wd).

For the -5 fitting (the ones in the heads), the o-ring is a "-905" (.414" id x .072" wd). The durometer (hardness) should be 90 for all ORB o-rings.

These o-ring numbers are specific to the SAE o-ring boss fittings. "Regular" o-ring numbers and dimensions are slightly different (although, in a pinch, a "regular" one will work!)

Viton is the prefered material, however BUNA-N will work, but the temp. rating is limited to about +230*F (viton's good to +400*F).

The ORB o-rings are generally available from any good hydraulic or industrial equipment supplier. HERE is one source (scroll down the page a bit!).

I was thinking of making up a www page with all the oring sizes. All I need is TIIIIIIIIIIIME.

#3 ·
Good info

#4 ·
Re: o-ring sizes, can we get a "sticky"

I can't find the ipr o-ring size but I believe I found the turbo pedistal o-rings in the archives. But if you know the IPR size, it would help.

Klhansen had found this a while ago:

Found the sizes for the turbo pedestal o-rings.

The smaller ones (supply) are -205 (0.421" ID x 0.139 thickness)and the larger ones (drain) are -211 (0.796 ID x .0139 thickness).

I usually get them from International for about $1 each. They have a yellow coating on them for what it's worth. The one's you could pick up at a plubming shop or hardware wouldn't have the coating.

#5 ·
Re: o-ring sizes, can we get a "sticky"

Here's what I have (gleaned from a number of sources - some I measured and compared with a chart I found at http://www.oringsUSA.com)

Application ------------------------- Size
Turbo Pedestal Supply o-rings --- –205
Turbo Pedestal Return o-rings --- –211
Fuel Drain Valve o-rings ---------- –202
Fuel Drain Valve Stem o-rings --- –013
HPOP hose/plug o-rings ---------- –906
IPR O-ring (large) ----------------- -114
IPR O-ring (small) ----------------- -012
Locking Hub external o-ring ------ -152
Locking Hub dial o-ring ----------- -142

o-rings for HP oil should be Viton 90 durometer.

I'll move this up into the 7.3L Engine & Drivetrain FAQ forum. Feel free to add more info.

#10 ·
Here's what I have (gleaned from a number of sources - some I measured and compared with a chart I found at http://www.oringsUSA.com)

Application ------------------------- Size
Turbo Pedestal Supply o-rings --- –205
Turbo Pedestal Return o-rings --- –211
Fuel Drain Valve o-rings ---------- –202
Fuel Drain Valve Stem o-rings --- –013
HPOP hose/plug o-rings ---------- –906
IPR O-ring (large) ----------------- -114
IPR O-ring (small) ----------------- -012

o-rings for HP oil should be Viton 90 durometer.
Just an FYI to the list above:

HPO fittings on the PUMP use a -906 o-ring (as they are -6 SAE/ORB fittings).

The fittings in the heads are -5 SAE/ORB, and use a -905 o-ring.

Always good info, BTW!

#6 ·
anyone know where i can find the giant O-ring/gasket that goes inside the turbo housing???

#7 ·
Can anyone list the sizes and an after market source for the O-rings on the fuel filter?

Without buying the entire filter, I would like to be able to have an x-tra O-ring for the lid, the beveled one and the one that goes around the filter element.

#8 ·
Can anyone list the sizes and an after market source for the O-rings on the fuel filter?

Without buying the entire filter, I would like to be able to have an x-tra O-ring for the lid, the beveled one and the one that goes around the filter element.
You could check that link I posted a couple of posts up, but I don't think you'll find the fuel filter lid o-ring, unless you special order and buy them by the 1000's. :icon_eek: They are a triangular cross section, not a normal round x-section o-ring.

For the round x-section one at the base of the filter element, you could measure it and match it up to a stock size. For something that big though, it's tough to get a correct diameter without a measuring cone (see the link for info on those). You could get close by using a caliper on the filter element and taking a bit off to account for stretching the o-ring on.

#12 ·
A/C Compresser O-Rings

I did some looking and found that the o-rings that seal the suction and return manifold block on the back of the A/C compressor are number -211 and should be HNBR.

McMaster-Carr sells these (as of 07/22/10) in packs of 25 for $6.23 (Part Number 1884T41).

#15 ·
#17 ·
@m j Man I signed up just to drop you this figuring you were in the shape I was. This don't have a vender listed but McMaster.com usually has these things fairly cheap. Here is a list of sizes and quantities you will need on the HPOP, drain valve and some misc stuff. Hope it helps!

Multiple salutes go out for this info. If something looks like yours, it might be and WE ALL APPRECIATE IT!

"I did some looking and found that the o-rings that seal the suction and return manifold block on the back of the A/C compressor are number -211 and should be HNBR.

McMaster-Carr sells these (as of 07/22/10) in packs of 25 for $6.23 (Part Number 1884T41)."

Application ------------------------- Size QTY
Turbo Pedestal Supply o-rings --- –205 2
Turbo Pedestal Return o-rings --- –211 2
Fuel Drain Valve o-rings ---------- –202 2
Fuel Drain Valve Stem o-rings --- –013 1
HPOP hose/plug o-rings –906 3 LOCTITE 680 should be used
HPOP Discharge fitting (inner) -012 2
HPOP Head (inner) -012 2
HPOP Head (outer) -905 2
Reservoir Plug ???? 1
IPR O-ring (large) ----------------- -114 1
IPR O-ring (small) ----------------- -012 1

O-rings for HP oil should be Viton 90 durometer.

For the -6 fitting (the ones on the HPOP) the o-ring is a "-906" (.468" id x .078" wd).

For the -5 fitting (the ones in the heads), the o-ring is a "-905" (.414" id x .072" wd).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.