Shorted fuel heater - fixed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shorted fuel heater - fixed

I repaired the shorted fuel heater in my truck today, so took some photos.

Here's what it looked like.

Notice that the circular wire, which is a hot bus from the connector (barely visible in the upper right) to the three buttons of semi-metallic heater element on the mounting plate. The wire was originally soldered onto the buttons, but came loose from vibration(?) and the wire slid over and shorted out on the mounting plate.

The post in the middle is held in place by the heater mounting plate. I had read on here that the post is threaded in with left-hand threads, and a crow's-foot wrench was needed, but that wasn't the case. Just the two screws and the electrical connector. Pretty easy fix.

I put together a mini-photo essay in my photo gallery with more pics including the new heater which is a beefier style, and not likely to have this problem.
TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Fuel Heater repair

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by Administrator; 05-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM

My Photos: (0)
What did the new heater cost?

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfinch View Post
What did the new heater cost?
Lists for right at $30. Got it for $23.

Ford want's $150 list for their equivalent.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Were Did You Buy The New Fuel Heater
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

The new fuel heater was from the local International Dealer.

Also thought I'd clarify this, as I've been getting some questions about what it would fit.

I know it will fit a 99.5 7.3L PSD, and since the fuel system remained essentially the same from the Superduty introduction with the 99 model to the changeover to the 6.0L in mid 03, it should fit any 99 and up 7.3L.

I CAN"T say whether it will fit in a 94-97 Powerstroke. It may, but I can't be sure. If you do buy one for that application, be sure they'll let you return it.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:14 PM

so 183######### is the part number or is the 1P part of the number. I need to do this to my truck as well.

I take it your #30 fuse kept shorting as well.

06 F-350 4x4
SCT tuner
EGR delete
5" exhaust
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtcon View Post
so 183######### is the part number or is the 1P part of the number. I need to do this to my truck as well.

I take it your #30 fuse kept shorting as well.
The 1P isn't part of the number on the invoice.

The fuse blew only the one time. I left the shorted fuel heater unplugged till I got a chance to fix it.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The 1P isn't part of the number on the invoice.

The fuse blew only the one time. I left the shorted fuel heater unplugged till I got a chance to fix it.
I unplugged it before 2 years ago and only for a week and then never had a problem till now. Now it will not start and the #30 30 amp fuse keeps blowing and I cant remember witch plug was for the heater so I can at least see if it is the problem.

Do you have a picture of witch plug it is? If that works again I am going tomorrow to get the new heater

06 F-350 4x4
SCT tuner
EGR delete
5" exhaust
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 PM

My Photos: (24)
Thank-you for this post and the pictures. The pictures kind of say it all.
Jim

2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod;
, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in
AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 AM

having the same fun here. mine is a '97. fuse #22 keeps blowing even after disconnecting the heater lead.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM

does this apply to only late 90's trucks? If i remember right on my 2002 the heater assembly looked liked the new style. I need to double check when I change filters again.

Thanks,
Fin

2002 F250 SRW CC 4x4,diy intake, BTM muffler, gauges, zoo dad, DP Tuner60tow, 80econ, sonnax, AIH delete,ATS Housing,
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Great info. and pics Thank You. I just changed my filter two weeks ago but didn't notice which design was in mine.

2001 X Limited 4x4 PSD;F5 DP Tuner;Ford AIS intake; Magnaflow 4in;Autometer GS 3pod pillar;BFG M/T KM 285x75x16;X-codes and f350 blocks;6.0 trans cooler;Delo ELC;Dieselsite 203 stat,eng.coolant filter,turbo/intake hoses;ITP HPX line,tank pre-pump kit;CCV mod;Hellwig sway-bar;RS9000XL;OEM clearlenses/silverstar ultras;XM radio;Yakima MegaWarrior Rack;Dark Satin Green.

1973 K5 Blazer 383stroker,TrickFlow alum.heads,Crower forged rods-roller lifter cam-roller rockers,Keith Black10.5:1,Doug Thorley tri-y,MSD,ARP,Q-jet,on 1 ton axles,1991 front clip,3K miles on FULL body off rebuild

2003 Mastercraft X9 Wakeboard Edition
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Well that was easy! got it for $23 and installed it in about 30 minutes and that was with changing the drain valve O rings and cleaning the crap out of the bottom of the fuel bowl. There was so much stuff that the only reason the drain valve stopped leaking is cause it was clogged shut.

Good thing the filter is there.

Was yours filled with what looked like very fine sand?

06 F-350 4x4
SCT tuner
EGR delete
5" exhaust
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtcon View Post
Was yours filled with what looked like very fine sand?
My filter bowl had a little bit of grit in it, maybe a dozen or so specs. I have a 75 micron pre-pump filter, which probably catches most of the big chunks.

Glad you got it fixed.

finman: It's very possible that Ford/International updated the "wire and buttton" heater style to the heavy duty type by '02. Count yourself lucky if you have that type.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks Kevin!!!! You started it. I am on my 3rd heater this week. Seems they all went about the same time. Sharon's, then a neighbor and now another guy just called. Hope you don't need another anytime soon cause they are on order.

2000 Super Cab, 7.3, DRW, XLT, 4X4,PSD, 6spd, 3.73, Dark Toreador Red, 4in DP, no muffler, 5 inch Black Cloud Slant Cut Stacks, 6 inch lift, 22's with 35 inch tires

2012 Lariat, CC, DRW, 4x4, loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in