The Diesel Stop banner

Shorted fuel heater - fixed

58K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Bossdog 
#1 · (Edited)
I repaired the shorted fuel heater in my truck today, so took some photos.

Here's what it looked like.

Notice that the circular wire, which is a hot bus from the connector (barely visible in the upper right) to the three buttons of semi-metallic heater element on the mounting plate. The wire was originally soldered onto the buttons, but came loose from vibration(?) and the wire slid over and shorted out on the mounting plate.

The post in the middle is held in place by the heater mounting plate. I had read on here that the post is threaded in with left-hand threads, and a crow's-foot wrench was needed, but that wasn't the case. Just the two screws and the electrical connector. Pretty easy fix. ?

I put together a mini-photo essay in my photo gallery with more pics including the new heater which is a beefier style, and not likely to have this problem.
Fuel Heater repair [on edit] fixed link

See less See more
#2 ·
What did the new heater cost?

#3 ·
Lists for right at $30. Got it for $23. :thumbsup:

Ford want's $150 list for their equivalent.
:jawdrop:

#5 ·
The new fuel heater was from the local International Dealer.

Also thought I'd clarify this, as I've been getting some questions about what it would fit.

I know it will fit a 99.5 7.3L PSD, and since the fuel system remained essentially the same from the Superduty introduction with the 99 model to the changeover to the 6.0L in mid 03, it should fit any 99 and up 7.3L.

I CAN"T say whether it will fit in a 94-97 Powerstroke. It may, but I can't be sure. If you do buy one for that application, be sure they'll let you return it.

#7 ·
so 183######### is the part number or is the 1P part of the number. I need to do this to my truck as well.

I take it your #30 fuse kept shorting as well.
The 1P isn't part of the number on the invoice.

The fuse blew only the one time. I left the shorted fuel heater unplugged till I got a chance to fix it.

#9 ·
Thank-you for this post and the pictures. The pictures kind of say it all.
Jim

#11 ·
does this apply to only late 90's trucks? If i remember right on my 2002 the heater assembly looked liked the new style. I need to double check when I change filters again.

Thanks,
Fin

#12 ·
Great info. and pics Thank You. I just changed my filter two weeks ago but didn't notice which design was in mine. :icon_rolleyes:

#13 ·
Well that was easy! got it for $23 and installed it in about 30 minutes and that was with changing the drain valve O rings and cleaning the crap out of the bottom of the fuel bowl. There was so much stuff that the only reason the drain valve stopped leaking is cause it was clogged shut.

Good thing the filter is there.

Was yours filled with what looked like very fine sand?

#14 ·
Was yours filled with what looked like very fine sand?
My filter bowl had a little bit of grit in it, maybe a dozen or so specs. I have a 75 micron pre-pump filter, which probably catches most of the big chunks.

Glad you got it fixed. :thumbsup:

finman: It's very possible that Ford/International updated the "wire and buttton" heater style to the heavy duty type by '02. Count yourself lucky if you have that type.

#15 ·
Thanks Kevin!!!! You started it. I am on my 3rd heater this week. Seems they all went about the same time. Sharon's, then a neighbor and now another guy just called. Hope you don't need another anytime soon cause they are on order.

#16 ·
Holy cow, John, it's like a swine flu pandemic. :worried:

#17 ·
Thanks for the pics and info!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the post, pics and info.. It looks like I have some looking around tomorrow to see if the problem is with the fuel heater. After the truck died on me last week, I replaced the #30 fuse and the truck fired right up. Went out tonight to start the truck and the #30 fuse blew again... sounds like I have an issue with the fuel heater.

#21 ·
2000 7.3L Fuel Heater Element Shorted to Ground

I was driving my 2000 F250 with 7.3L and 200,000 miles on it down the highway and it completely shut off. I had it towed to the Ford Dealer who EVENTUALLY found Fuse number 30 blown and the Fuel Filter Heater Circuit shorted to ground. Their fix was to replace the Fuel Filter Heater Element and Plug ($181.03 + $171.29 = $352.32 w/no kiss), Fuel Filter ($46), and Fuel Filter Can Cap ($93.17). They replaced the Glow Plug Control Unit but didn't charge me, said "Did not need Controller".
I had replaced the fuel filter and cap (WIX) 2 weeks before the engine shut off. The Ford Mechanic evidently didn't like the WIX filter or cap.
Thats my story. What do you think?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.