FAQ: Popular Modifications You Might See Referenced on the Forum - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine FAQ Frequently asked questions in the Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Updated!

Okay, I believe I've updated everything requested up to this post. The FAQ is starting to look really good! I glad to see everyone contributing. Yes, it won't stop ALL the newbies, but it should curb a good amount of them. Like it was said before, even if they ignore this FAQ and post a question already answered here, we can just post a link to this thread and be done with them.

To make the thread cleaner (i.e. smaller), I'm going to go back and edit my posts to null. If your update is in place on the original thread, please do the same thing.

Thanks everyone!

Tony D. Berry
Lafayette, LA
2001 Ford F550, PSD, 4.88, 4R100?
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

I really hate UBB.threads forum software!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Re: Updated!

Tony, it looks like you may have only copied some parts of the updates I did. Like the CCV mod is lacking some stuff added to the Mod Description, and the others are don't have the tools required, difficulty, etc. sections that I filled in.

What I did when I updated those was I just quoted your post, then added to whatever was there, and didn't remove anything. So I'd just suggest that you take the few that I posted, copy them, and paste them fully in place of those in your original post. That way nothing gets left off and also nothing is replaced, only added to. See what I'm saying? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

edit - for easier viewing, here are the ones I'm talking about to sub into your original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Name: IC Foil Wrap Delete
Mod Difficulty: Medium
Tools Required: pliers to tear off foil, wire wheel attachment for a handheld drill, WD-40 and/or brake parts cleaner
Time to Perform: 1-2 hours
Mod Description: Intercooler Foil Wrap is removed to increase turbo
spooling sound. No known benefits to performance except maybe a
small weight savings [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] This is the Hot side CAC pipe (driver side), and the air in it is much hotter than the air in the engine comparment, so removing the insulation will do nothing to harm performance.
Helpful Links: Forum Post

Mod Name: "Key-in-Ignition" Door Dinger Delete Mod
Mod Difficulty: Easy
Tools Required: Narrow prodding tool such as a very small screw driver
Time to Perform: 5-10 minutes
Mod Description: Removes that annoying dinging sound when your
key is in the ignition and the door is open. Turn ignition to RUN (do not start), insert prodding tool in hole under ignition and press the small ball/detent while pulling on ignition cylinder - ignition cylinder will come out. Look closely at the removed cylinder and find the small brass contact. You can wrap a bit of tape around it or simply pull it off. Reinsert ignition cylinder; it will click into place. Alternate method is to cut the black with pink tracer wire that runs up to the ignition cylinder.
Helpful Links:

Mod Name: CCV Mod
Mod Difficulty: Easy to Medium (depends on how much you want to spend)
Tools Required: Screw driver for removing screws that hold doghouse breather to valve cover, new o-rings to replace those between breather and doghouse if yours are worn/stretched, and whatever tools necessary to assemble your mod the way you choose to do it (hose, hose clamps at a minimum)
Time to Perform: 30-45 Minutes
Mod Description: Crankcase Vent tube is rerouted from the
air intake to a small canister that traps oil residue. There are
several options for this mod ranging from a pre-built kit to doing it
all yourself. Also can simply route to the atmosphere: reverse CCV breather dog house that is on driver side valve cover, connect length of clear vinyl or heater hose to the existing elbow via a barbed connector and hose clamps, then route hose up and over brake master cylinder and down along frame rail to your chosen point of termination for the hose. Replace the CCV return piece in the intake tube with a small piece of 4" exhaust pipe.
Helpful Links: ryaneverk2 webshots album, includes CCV mod pics for vent-to-atmostphere method
Subman's post listing links to various homemade CCV setups

Mod Name: Always Bright Overhead Console Mod
Mod Difficulty: Easy
Tools Required: Wire snippers
Time to Perform: 5 minutes
Mod Description: Makes it so that the overhead console display does not dim when you turn on the headlights. Cutting the light blue with red tracer wire located under the passenger side kick panel.
Helpful Links: Bill G's site including pic of said wire

post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)

Tony,

Good work.

I think that this should be in the form of an article, but for now I'll make it a sticky.

If we could develop these things into articles with one sticky post with links to various articles, that would be the best of all.

Thanks
Kevin

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM

Re: FAQ: Popular Modifications You Might See Referenced on the Forum

[ QUOTE ]
Mod Name: 10K Mod
Mod Difficulty: Easy to Medium
Tools Required: 10,000 ohm Resistor, soldering iron, solder.
Time to Perform: 10 mins to 1 hour depending on variation used.
Mod Description: Insert a 10k ohm resistor across the ICP sensor to fool the computer into boosting injector oil pressure. Makes the computer think the HPOP and IPR are low and increases output.
Variations: Variations include Adjustable 10k mod, 18k mod, Diode Clamp Mod.
Helpful Links: Ford_Forgotton's 10k mod page

Mod Name: IDM Mod
Mod Difficulty: Difficult to Very Difficult
Tools Required: Soldering Iron, Solder, Sealant, Hand Tools
Time to Perform: 1 hour to mod, 24 hours to cure sealant
Mod Description: Originally invented by Joe_Servo. Remove a resistor inside the IDM and replace it with a higher value. Increases the injector driver module output voltage from 110 volts to around 135 volts. Extreme caution encouraged. Damaged IDMs are expensive to replace.
Helpful Links: Ford_Forgotton's IDM mod page

[/ QUOTE ]
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM

aih mod. removing the air intake heater from the intake. the AIH is designed to reduce emissions by heating the air going into the engine at certain cold air, low rpm conditions.

The benefits are not measurable on a dyno, although from looking at it you would think it would help.

99.5 Superduty Crew 4x4 6 speed Smokewagon
Pizza cutter tires, Tymar, BTM, DP

If it don't run, chrome it.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
If we could develop these things into articles with one sticky post with links to various articles, that would be the best of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kevin, I agree with what you're saying as well. I wanted to help out and figured this would be the easiest solution and would give us some feedback as to the best way to handle it in the future.

On a related note, could we crank up the timeout on editting posts so I can append some of the newest suggestions (sorry I missed yours Ryan!) to the original post?

Thanks!

Tony D. Berry
Lafayette, LA
2001 Ford F550, PSD, 4.88, 4R100?
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

I really hate UBB.threads forum software!
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 AM

Tony, if it's too late to edit your original post, try sending a PM to klhansen, a moderator, and ask him to edit the necessary stuff into your original post. I'm sure he'd be willing to make the necessary changes.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

My Photos: (3)

How about this one.

High Pressure Coss over, (HPX Mod) Easy install for the contorsionist (sp) Benefits; Equlizes high pressure oil in heads. And for the naysayers I will quote a PSD Engineer from FOKISD rally two years ago. " it makes sence and can only help equilize the oil pressure in both heads" Cost, I think about 35 bucks.

See ya Beantown

99.5 F-350 XLT 4x4 SC SB PSD Auto 3.73 w/factory rubber floors, Jody PMT1 reflash 80 hp tow, H/X Hose, IAH delete plug, AIS, Zoo Dad, Hutch mods, BTS Trans, Hayden 24K cooler & tranny filter, Banks wheel, EBV GONE, Fumoto Valve, 3.5 down pipe, 4" exhaust w/Magnaflow Muffler and 5" S/S tip, 3" rear blocks, Warn Premium Hubs, Bilstiens, Rancho 5406 stabilizer, Reese 16K 5th wheel rocker hitch w/ slide, Handy V gate, Prodigy, Goodyear ADT2 tires, 03 Excursion wheels, SP Performance C/D & Slotted rotors, Dipricol tranny gauge, Westach Pyro/Boost gauge, Nuvi 1490t GPS, RCI 2970DX peaked and tweaked good for 1/3rd RWHP every time I key the mic!, 10K Predator ant., Amsoil in trans and xfercase. Rotella T-6 5-40w full syn., Rotella ELC, 2003 headlights with Silverstar bulbs, Rear ICC 3 light bar, Luverne S/S running boards w/ 46" LED running lights.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM

How about FAQ on SEARCH . An alternate to the TDS search function is TDS Google Search..

Just replace, in this case, the AIH on the Google page for the subject you wish to search for.

1999.5, F350, DRW, 3.73's, 4x4, CC, LB
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 AM

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The AIH Mod as well as a number of the other mods is covered in thread links HERE LarryM Little Secrets Sticky at the top of the van forum if you lose the link.

2000 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau 4.6L V8 4th Club Wagon

Other Fords Gone:
1999.5 F250 CC SB XLT 4WD, 7.3 PSD, First F,2nd Diesel, nice but still liked the van better.
2003 E-350 Super Duty Chateau (Club Wagon)7.3PSD, 3rd Club Wagon,First diesel, Never should have sold it....
1996 Club Wagon Chateau Heavy Duty 7.5L (460) V8 Pass anything but a gas station, Traded it in on the '03
1992 E150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.0L (302) V8
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 AM

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Another popular Mod for the list. Sonnax Tricumulator Mod- Replaces the Line modulator valve and springs for the shift pistons in the valve body of the transmission for crisper firmer shifts. Best instructions I have seen on how to do it are at www.blackclouddiesel.com They also sell the kit. Difficulty medium to hard,depends on mechanical aptitude. Requires socket set and Inch-pound torque wrench to properly torque valve body upon reinstallation.

2000 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau 4.6L V8 4th Club Wagon

Other Fords Gone:
1999.5 F250 CC SB XLT 4WD, 7.3 PSD, First F,2nd Diesel, nice but still liked the van better.
2003 E-350 Super Duty Chateau (Club Wagon)7.3PSD, 3rd Club Wagon,First diesel, Never should have sold it....
1996 Club Wagon Chateau Heavy Duty 7.5L (460) V8 Pass anything but a gas station, Traded it in on the '03
1992 E150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.0L (302) V8
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 AM

Hood Insulation Removal

What you gotta do for this one?

2002 F350 7.3L XLT Crew Cab dually

Superchips 1705, Wicked Wheel, AFE Stage 1, Straight piped, ZooDad Air Intake Mod
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 AM

removal?! I put one *ON*. Saves the paint from underhood heat.

But, if you want to remove it, its pretty easy. Use a skin wedge, or a door panel removal tool and jam it under all the plastic push tabs that hold it to the hood. Pry them out and off it comes. You may need to play with the hood light a little bit to feed it out of the hood blanket, but its all pretty easy. 10 min job?
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:41 AM

I JUST WENT OUT TO MY TRUCK AND DID THE DOOR AJAR ALARM DELETE AND OVERHEAD CONSOLE LIGHT MODS.10 MINUTES AND ALOT LESS ANNOYING!I JUST WISH I KNEW ABOUT THE DOOR DING WHEN I WAS INSTALLING ALL OF MY ELECTRONICS UNDER THE DASH!
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM

has anyone done the manual wiring to modify the automatic glow plug relay switch so that it does not work when not needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in