EGR cooler hose replacement - with pictures - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT v. EOT

I had the same questions about the allowable spread. All I could find was 25'F/14'C in TSB 06-3-8.I have an EDGE Insight that measures in 'F. My total temp readings have increased over the last few years. I bought the truck with 25,000 miles, now I have 105,000miles. I have every filter known to man on the truck, and do ALL the fluid changes at the FORD recommended intervals or sooner, and still the temps have increased over the years. The max temps and spread I have seen in the last few weeks are: EOT 210'F and ECT 194'.

2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4 Limited
Jobe Performance Intake, X-Over Breather w/can, SCT/ Inov Diesel Tunes(run in Street )
Edge Insight Monitor Display
4" SS MagnaFlow Exhaust, Turbo Back
4 Gauge Pillar(Pyro,Volts,Boost,Oil Temp)
BriteBox
AmsOil 15w-40 HD Diesel/Marine Oil
AmsOil Single Bypass Engine Oil Filter
AirDog Fuel Filter/Pump
AmsOil ATF, Diesel Site PassThru Transm. Filter
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
MagHytec Transm Pan& F/R Diff Covers
V and Mod-B's Leaf Springs
Dual Bilsteins in front,Bilsteins rear
Dual Fox Steering Damper
F250 Rear SwayBar
Bridgestone R250F Duravis Tires(highway tread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM

can a bad EGR cooler cause a vapor lock
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM

losing coolant when truck is sitting, getting a vapor lock no visible leaks seen, where is this water going? can it go in the head, is this a blown head gasket, running at 6 to 7 psi on test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM

I started a separate thread for this topic but wanted to update both threads for the record. I just discovered why I was leaking coolant at the cooler hose -> it was because I never got the hose connected to the cooler port housing correctly. When I initially did the install I put the hose on and turned it waiting to hear the click that everybody is talking about and never did hear it. I kept trying and it appeared to seal up tight but would never lock in place. As a result coolant would leak out of the hose and you could see the crusty red color of my Zerex ELC. I just now decided to really put some muscle behind it and pushed the hose on extra hard and could feel it give and then seal up extra tight. Then I turned the hose and it finally made the click sound and was definitely locked in place. Hope this helps folks in the future.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM

How hard is it to pull out the housing? Removing the two torx bolts was easy with the right tools. I have been working on removing the housing for an hour now. The top half came off easily. The bottom half has been a PITA. I still have the hose on. Should I try to cut that in half? It appears that the housing needs to come straight up but all I can get it to do is wiggle around a little bit. I've tried pulling up with channel locks. I've tried prying under it with a screwdriver. Anybody have any advice/hints/secrets?

Thanks
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
How hard is it to pull out the housing? Removing the two torx bolts was easy with the right tools. I have been working on removing the housing for an hour now. The top half came off easily. The bottom half has been a PITA. I still have the hose on. Should I try to cut that in half? It appears that the housing needs to come straight up but all I can get it to do is wiggle around a little bit. I've tried pulling up with channel locks. I've tried prying under it with a screwdriver. Anybody have any advice/hints/secrets?

Thanks
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier...

Yes, you need to cut the old hose in half to allow you to get the housing off without damaging it, or damaging the top of the oil cooler like I did. Just take a hack saw or key hole saw to cut through the old hose.

There are different view points about the installation of the new hose. I found that it is virtually impossible to get the new hose to seal properly and lock onto the housing if you put the hose on the cooler first and then try to put the housing on after. You need to ensure that you get the hose to lock onto the housing. This means you need to push pretty hard on the hose and then turn it to lock it. You should hear it click.

Then you get the hose to slide over the EGR Cooler port and then you can seat the housing onto the top of then oil cooler assembly. Remember that you will be attaching/sliding the hose onto the EGR Cooler port by feel/blind because you cannot see the cooler port. Good luck. If you don't get the hose to properly seal/lock onto the Oil Cooler Housing it will leak and you will have to take it off and try again.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier...

Yes, you need to cut the old hose in half to allow you to get the housing off without damaging it, or damaging the top of the oil cooler like I did. Just take a hack saw or key hole saw to cut through the old hose.

There are different view points about the installation of the new hose. I found that it is virtually impossible to get the new hose to seal properly and lock onto the housing if you put the hose on the cooler first and then try to put the housing on after. You need to ensure that you get the hose to lock onto the housing. This means you need to push pretty hard on the hose and then turn it to lock it. You should hear it click.

Then you get the hose to slide over the EGR Cooler port and then you can seat the housing onto the top of then oil cooler assembly. Remember that you will be attaching/sliding the hose onto the EGR Cooler port by feel/blind because you cannot see the cooler port. Good luck. If you don't get the hose to properly seal/lock onto the Oil Cooler Housing it will leak and you will have to take it off and try again.
Thanks for the response. I was able to get everything off and put back together. I have been driving the truck a little since then, and the coolant level in the degas bottle has gone down. I cannot find any leaks around that hose, and am hoping that it is just air escaping from the cooling system. Just figured out how to pull a vacuum on the cooling system, but I guess that will have to wait until the next time I have most of the coolant pulled out.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Glad you got it squared away. If you don't see any coolant/wetness on the top of the HPOP cover (just below the EGR Cooler Hose) then you should be ok. I sometimes notice my coolant level in the degas bottle fluctuates a lot. As long as it doesn't get too low, I wouldn't worry too much.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon134 View Post
Glad you got it squared away. If you don't see any coolant/wetness on the top of the HPOP cover (just below the EGR Cooler Hose) then you should be ok. I sometimes notice my coolant level in the degas bottle fluctuates a lot. As long as it doesn't get too low, I wouldn't worry too much.
Drove the truck for over 3 hours today, most of which was at 70 mph and some at 80 mph and there was no coolant loss. The degas bottle was full when I got home. So, I am feeling pretty good about this repair now. Thanks to everybody that contributed to this thread.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Thought I would update this thread for anyone else that runs across this issue. After pulling my EGR cooler to weld it up I had a small coolant leak, had to add about a half gallon of coolant every month. Not a big deal and I didnt notice any fluid on the driveway or anything so I ignored it. Well I was working on my 4x4 hubs and saw coolant leaking from above the starter. Traced it back to the blue coupler. I decided to play with the coupler a bit to see if I could get it to seal. Couldn't really tell if it was leaking or not after but didn't think it would be worse than before. I was wrong, drove to town and when I parked coolant was pouring from the coupler. Got the truck home and first tried to put a hose clamp on the coupler as someone else mentioned. This didn't work for me. I used heater hose without pulling the turbo.

What I did to fix:

1)Did not have to pull the turbo, only the CAC tube and pushed the injector and glow plug harness forwards.
2)Removed the two T30 torx bolts from the coolant tube above the oil cooler. The bolt under the turbo is a B*#&h to get to, but with an angle extension and a socket torx I was able to get it, I had to set the torx back on the bolt about every half turn and then re-mount the angle extention, so it took some time but was doable. I think with a different swivel or attachment it can be removed easier. Diesel Tech Ron (RIP) recommended cutting a torx down and welding it to a swivel.
3) Turn the blue coupler with the notch up so it slides out
4) The hardest part of the job IMO is removing the oil cooler coolant tube assembly, remove the top cover (this is easy) you will see a brass looking circle, this stays in place and the cover pulls up past it. You can't just pry only on one side because it will bind. You also can't put too much pressure or the cover will break. I used a small pry bar on the front and wiggled and pulled up at the back where the coupler attaches to get it out. It took awhile but it did come out unharmed.
5)My coupler remained on the EGR cooler when I pulled the assembly up and out so I used some channel locks to get the coupler out (make sure its still positioned correctly
6) I used 3/4 Gates heater hose cut 1/4" longer than the coupler,and two hose clamps. I tightened the front hose clamp all the way down onto the oil cooler coolant inlet, and slid the other hose clamp up next to it, snugged it so it held position but not so tight I couldn't slide it back.
7) Now slide the hose over the EGR cooler tube and press the oil cooler inlet back and down in place. (it goes in easier than it comes out) Slide the rear hose clamp to the back of the hose being careful to position it so you can still reach it with a screwdriver next to the turbo pedestal.
8) Put the top cover back on (my gasket looked fine, but i used a little rtv around it) Tighten the T30 torx back down. I torqued to 8ft lbs, idk what the torque should be but seemed about right

That's it, I feel much better about the heater hose than the blue voodoo coupler. I don't trust something that slides around and spins freely to seal up. Total cost to repair was $5. Would be a little more if you replace the 2 gaskets too (probably smart to do that). It's definitely doable without pulling the turbo though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180501_182308.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	123258  

Last edited by Wannaspeed; 05-02-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM

erg cooler hose replacement without removing turbo

Here is a video showing the egr cooler hose removal without taking the turbo off. No narrative, but it gives you an idea about what is involved.
youtube egr cooler hose removal its over 30 minutes long but show it being done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in