Help: Door ajar/check brake system message - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help: Door ajar/check brake system message

Hello,

I just installed a aftermarket stereo system , nav , etc . I now am having door ajar/ check brake system messages come up . My gauge lights are also not working , although my turn signals , brake lights work on the outside of vehicle . I just bought a obd 2 reader at walmart , but it is not showing any codes . I would really appreciate it if one of you could let me know what is possibly wrong with my truck . -2008 f-450 -

also, while driving , my instrument lights will come back on , and error messages will disappear , but then reappear a few seconds later

thanks so much,

blake keeton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM

I can't help much, but the "check brake system" I believe is a bad battery. I read about this a few months back on 1 of the forums. The check brake system would flash on the computer the first time the truck is started on cold mornings. About 3 weeks ago I had 35,000 plus miles and I knew it was a battery problem so I made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. I stopped at Advance on the way to the dealer to have the batteries checked and sure enough the driver's side battery was bad. I went on to the dealer but didn't tell him I had it checked earlier. He said my brake fluid was low so they topped it off and both batteries checked out ok. I told the service writer then that Advance said I had a bad one. He said they checked out fine with his equipment and the brake fluid was my problem. Wrong! Still flashes check brake system on the first start on cold mornings. I was hoping to get a new battery before my bumper to bumper warranty ran out. I guess I'll be getting new batteries soon, (Ford needs the money more than I do I guess).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM

the problem is they will only replace the one battery under warranty. You really need to replace both at the same time. In addition, having weak batteries can cause issues with the computers. I would bite the bullet and replace the batteries yourself. A lot of times they check the batteries while they are connected to the truck. Most of the testers have a dual battery mode but in most cases even using the dual mode they still will check out ok but disconnect and test each alone and you will find the bad one.

Now for the original poster...does it give you the message during first start? Does it do it when your stereo system is on and when it is off? Following the same line of reasoning as dw when first starting you are running the glowplugs and if you are running large amps you could actually have a substantial low voltage condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

The dash light problem started soon after the install . It does it when the stereo is off or on , right after start up , during driving , etc . The door ajar / check brake system light continually scrolls , with the dash lights coming on for a few seconds , then going off again . They stay off mainly though . I am going to go by best buy tomorrow and talk to an installer to see if he has had this happen to him before . I do appreciate the help though fellas !

blake
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM

i wouldnt go back to see if he has had that issue, i would demand they correct it. If you take the truck to ford, and ford can prove that your issues are related to the install you are going to be out some coin. i'd make best buy fix it

2008 Ford F-250 CC SB
Dark Pearl Blue(complete repaint under warranty)
6" Stage II Pro Comp Lift
17x9 Pro Comp 7189
37x12.5 BFG M/T KM2's
Spartan/4" duals/AFE
Try the SEARCH Button
Because It's Probably already been asked
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

-to clarify- i did the install of the stereo

I thought i would give best buy a call because their installers have exp. with my truck .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM

On the possibility that you might have actually wired up something wrong, put your stock radio back in place. Undo everything that you did--pull all the wires (tape off anything that you spliced so that you don't short it out). I'll bet you that when you pull all the wires that you put in, your problems will disappear. Yes, I know this is a pain, but your problem sounds like incorrect wiring.

I don't agree with anyone's assessment of a "bad battery". A "bad battery" would give you a slough of other problems, none of which would logically indicate a problem with your brake system or your doors being ajar. It's MUCH more likely that you wired up your system incorrectly.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 PM

My Photos: (3)
It has 0 to do with your install. I have installed nothing in mine and on cold or damp mornings I get "check brake system". Dealer went through all the system and even removed the whole harness and is stumped, figures the POS would do this with a bad battery.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I had both batteries tested today at a battery shop . They said that the batteries are only showing a total of 1200 cranking amps , which is way below 750 A X 2 . One more thing to add to my dealer to do list . Wish me luck fellas , and thanks for being helpful .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM

I have been getting the "check brake system" message for a fraction of a second when I start the truck on cold mornings. Today, the truck would not start. I have it on a battery charger right now, but I was wondering if you guys have had luck getting the dealer to replace both batteries. My 36-month BTB warranty ends next month, and I wasn't sure if I should even bother.

2008 F250 FX4 PSD - 35x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country M/T - 2" Leveling Kit - Nathan K5LA Train Horn - Four PIAA 525 SMR Lamps - Warn HD Winch Bumper

Got patriotism? Buy American!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM

this post is old but just wondering how u fixed that light issue, or if someone has an idea?? I have the same problem on my truck, no codes, changed batteries out to new ones and still they are there???
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 PM

What was the solution to the issue?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 PM

yes if anyone knows how this was resolved , I'm having the same issue on my 2010 f-350 SD 6.4
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM

the solution in my case was the drivers door switch, there was no codes relating to it and on ids when monitoring the door switch it read correctly from closed to open, just for fun replaced it as all other options had been eliminated. with new sensor installed issue was solved and been good since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in