The Diesel Stop banner

No tow haul

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  meteor56 
#1 ·
Got up this morning and tow haul would not work, has anyone here had the same problem that could give me some advice? No codes.....2010 6.4 4x4

#3 ·
Take the plastic cover off of the steering column. Carefully inspect the wires where they enter the shift handle. They can break or wear through the insulation there. Either fix the wires or replace the shift handle.

#4 ·
The shift handles kit is about $90. If you are a reasonably good at soldering and shrink wrap the patch. Do a repair job free!

#5 · (Edited)
I ventured into this idea once. Repairing that lead coming out of the stalk would require great skill and patience. Those wires are tiny and removing the wrapping to expose the wires without damaging them further is difficult as well. If you want to "repair" it without replacing the shifter it can be done in some cases simply by re-sealing the bundle provided the location of the damage is not right at the point the wiring enters the shifter. usually it's further out because it rubs on the shift tube where the wire is draped over it. I have noticed over the years that the chaffing typically damages one wire only exposing the strand and not breaking it. It is possible to slide a piece of shrink tube onto it and seal it up... you could also simply tightly wrap a piece of electrical tape over the damage and what I like to do even when replacing is to take some 1/4" diameter convoluted tubing and install that over the wire for added chafe resistance. You can source the tubing at many auto parts stores, Home Depot or Lowes and of course the Internet provides many options as well, here is one:

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/bl...xgr1flq5_GGxqLFMyM7bJeOoelnag9lhoCfuUQAvD_BwE

Attachments

Reactions: Mark Kovalsky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.