No tow haul - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No tow haul

Got up this morning and tow haul would not work, has anyone here had the same problem that could give me some advice? No codes.....2010 6.4 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Maybe try pulling the right fuse for starters.....rule of thumb,in most cases, always check fuse first,or in my case,walk around truck 10 times scratching head sweating out last nights hydraulic sandwiches.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Take the plastic cover off of the steering column. Carefully inspect the wires where they enter the shift handle. They can break or wear through the insulation there. Either fix the wires or replace the shift handle.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 AM

The shift handles kit is about $90. If you are a reasonably good at soldering and shrink wrap the patch. Do a repair job free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I ventured into this idea once. Repairing that lead coming out of the stalk would require great skill and patience. Those wires are tiny and removing the wrapping to expose the wires without damaging them further is difficult as well. If you want to "repair" it without replacing the shifter it can be done in some cases simply by re-sealing the bundle provided the location of the damage is not right at the point the wiring enters the shifter. usually it's further out because it rubs on the shift tube where the wire is draped over it. I have noticed over the years that the chaffing typically damages one wire only exposing the strand and not breaking it. It is possible to slide a piece of shrink tube onto it and seal it up... you could also simply tightly wrap a piece of electrical tape over the damage and what I like to do even when replacing is to take some 1/4" diameter convoluted tubing and install that over the wire for added chafe resistance. You can source the tubing at many auto parts stores, Home Depot or Lowes and of course the Internet provides many options as well, here is one:

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/bla...hoCfuUQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire-loom-black.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	127772  

Mark Kovalsky likes this.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 08-31-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Often times, mine will not activate until I stop, shut down and restart. Then the switch responds. Sometimes pretty inconvenient, but cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in