Air horn wiring schematic - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008-2010 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air horn wiring schematic

I got an air horn kit for Christmas and am working out all the details for wiring it up. I do not have upfitters and will be using illuminated toggle or rocker switches. I want one switch to enable/disable the compressor but only when the key is on. I want another switch to toggle between stock horn or air horn when the steering wheel horn button is pressed. I may also add another momentary switch to blast the air horn regardless of the position of the previous switch. Pretty standard stuff.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the forums and think I have it all worked out but wanted some opinions on the schematic I've come up with. I plan to use the purple blunt cut ACC wire under the dash to power the switches used to actuate the relays. Constant 12V will be a fused 4 AWG wire from the battery. This is overkill I know but I also want to power an inverter and maybe some other accessories.

Hopefully I can find the stock horn wire inside the cab. From my research I understand the stocker has constant 12V with a ground trigger that is yellow w/ red tracer. If I can't get it inside then I'll put the relay out at the horn and use the pass-thru wires.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horn schematic.jpg
Views:	22303
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	15845  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgin View Post
I got an air horn kit for Christmas and am working out all the details for wiring it up. I do not have upfitters and will be using illuminated toggle or rocker switches. I want one switch to enable/disable the compressor but only when the key is on. I want another switch to toggle between stock horn or air horn when the steering wheel horn button is pressed. I may also add another momentary switch to blast the air horn regardless of the position of the previous switch. Pretty standard stuff.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the forums and think I have it all worked out but wanted some opinions on the schematic I've come up with. I plan to use the purple blunt cut ACC wire under the dash to power the switches used to actuate the relays. Constant 12V will be a fused 4 AWG wire from the battery. This is overkill I know but I also want to power an inverter and maybe some other accessories.

Hopefully I can find the stock horn wire inside the cab. From my research I understand the stocker has constant 12V with a ground trigger that is yellow w/ red tracer. If I can't get it inside then I'll put the relay out at the horn and use the pass-thru wires.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Your set up will work. I have always used an ignition on hot wire to trigger either of the two switches I mount. One switch will energize the compressor through a under hood relay, the other switch blows the horn through another relay. I leave the stock horn/wiring as is since it is the one I use 99% of the time.

2016 F350 KING RANCH DRW, 4X4, RUBY RED/CARIBOU, 3.73'S, LOADED, TUNED, ARE FLAT BED COVER, SPRAY IN LINER, 2.5" RANCHO FRONT LIFT, 3" REAR LIFT, RANCHO 9000 XL'S, 255/80/17 BFG MUD TERRAINS, EBC BRAKES, RADIO LOCKPICK, FRONT LIGHT BAR AND REAR FLUSH MOUNT LED'S.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM

My Photos: (7)
I had Hadley's on my last truck. Compressor in toolbox with receivers underneath.

I would add upfitter kit and use that - much neater.

I put an air valve overhead above the drivers side window right under where the horns were mounted on the roof. Used a short piece of cable and a bright red handle. Air corn completely seperat from horn wiring.

After you download the instruction from helm.com and see whats involved in getting into the horn stuff you'll like this idea.

New Truck
2012 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 157" VWE
-------------------
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM

My Photos: (0)
Air Horns and wiring

I have a set of Hornblaster Shockers with dual 5 gallon tanks. Really a sweet setup. Click on the MY PICTURES link and take a look. I also have the Upfitter switches. One turns on the compressors and I have another one that turns on the air pressure gauge.

Good luck with your setup. I tow a 5th wheel trailer a lot and it is very helpful in letting those rude motorists know to GET OUT OF THE WAY.

bigdon68

2017 F450 Lariat LBCC Shadow Black/Magnetic 6.7 FX4, Bedliner, Box Lights, Cameras, Chrome Package, 5th wheel prep package, heated & cooled seats, 55 gal. aux. tank, retrax cover, TS3 Air Hitch, much more

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, induction cooktop, solar, (4) 6 volt, full body paint, 17.5 wheels & Tires, MorRyde IS, residential frig., corian, convection oven, much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008-2010 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in