The Diesel Stop banner

Uses for Upfitter Switches

163K views 71 replies 42 participants last post by  me109stock 
#1 ·
Other than increasing the idle speed and controlling after market lighting, what are some of the other uses you have found for the upfitter switches?

#2 ·
I attached mine to my rearview camera so I couild activate it while driving. There is no need for the truck to be in reverse.

#4 ·
Electric shut off for auxiliary fuel tank in truck box, high idle, and a 'master' power to accessories like GPS, radar detector, and cell phone/BB charger. I hate all those cigarette lighter plugs hanging all over the place.
If I cant do the foglights w/high beam mod on my 08, I will use one to power my fogs so I can control when they are on. I cant seem fo find anyone who has made the mod work on the 6.4 trucks.

#50 ·
1 - Trailer Running Lights (for courtesy flash)
2 - Rigid Light Bar
3 - Horn Select - Train Horn / OEM horn
4 - Compressor Enable / Airlift WirelessAir Enable

I'm aware that this is a very old post but...

#9 ·
Electric Lockers...:thumbsup:

#10 ·
I put in a three outlet powerpoint in the back to power all my kid's electronic junk and ran it off switch four so it was fused. Switch one is for auxiliary lights.

#13 ·
Using mine for high idle, backup camera, and box lights under the cover, hoping to hook the last to a power inverter under the center seat. Our farm service pickup we have one hooked to toolbox lights, cb radio, service fuel tank(using a relay and main battery power), and a handwashing water tank.

#15 ·
I know that there are blunt connections for the upfitters under the dash on the drivers side. I noticed that by the master cylinder on the drivers side there is the same blunt connections. Are these the same? I can use these maybe instead of pulling wire through the firewall?

Thanks.

#16 ·
Those are called "passthrough" wires, there are four of them. The passthrough wires are just that, nothing more than a connection through the firewall. They are not connected to anything on either side, i.e. they are not connected to the upfitter switch connections unless you make those connections.

#19 ·
just out of curiosity and my newbiness. how do you power things up without a plug or recepticle? i mean i know about regular auto lights. grounding the lights to the frame and the positive power switch. would i like cut off the plug and ground one wire and switch the other?

#20 ·
The upfitter switch setup gives you the switched 12VDC power connection as a blunt cut wire under the dash. You can use one of the passthrough wires to get that connected out into the engine compartment.

For your basic holiday lights there are two ways you can go:

- Use the feed from the upfitter switch to power a small inverter like one of the $15 100W units and plug holiday lights in as-is to that inverter.

- Rewire holiday lights to make them 12V instead of 120V. With 120V lights the lights have a low voltage rating (see package) and are wired in series to put an appropriate number on the 120V circuit. For example 1.2V rated lamps would be wired 100 in series to get a 120V combined rating. You can cut and rewire those 100 lights so they are 10 in series and they will happily run on 12V. I've done this when using holiday lights for a display application.

Obviously with the cheap tiny inverters available these days, that is the easy way to go.

#47 ·
... - Rewire holiday lights to make them 12V instead of 120V. ...
If you rewire them for 12 volts, you'll burn out a lot of lamps. The system voltage is closer to 15 volts, especially in the wintertime.
(a higher terminal voltage is required to coax a full charge into a cold battery)

#24 ·
I also connected one up to my reverse lights so when I'm working on the tailgate or behind the truck I can have some white light. Also, it's fun to see the looks on people's faces when they're tailgating and you flip the reverse lights on. Hee hee.
Hunter40

#25 ·
I have mine for idle up, recon reverse lights, and a traffic laser cannon for clearing out moron drivers.

#28 ·
Driving lights, High beams since I went with Projector style headlights and split the 4 bulbs to work anytime, MIRT, Compressor....mounting 4 more aftermarket switches for air horn, rear spot lights, lights under bed cover.....

#29 ·
is there a special compressor you have to use? and what version software do you have in your nav system? i have 4p and would love the opportunity to "share a newer version" with people. i have software to "make a backup" copy should it ever get scratched. ;) and what is a MIRT?

#31 ·
I need some advice here..... I just found my wires for the uplifter switches and I plan on using one of them for reverse lights. I attatched some clear fog lights to my rear bumper. I placed an inline fuse 3Amp between switch #4 and the positive wire that goes to my new reverse lights. I grounded them to the bumper. Every time Ii plug in a fuse it burns out. Should I just skip the fuse or go with a higher Amp fuse? I guess the switches are pre fused but I was hoping to add a bit more protection in there by adding the inline fuse with the hot wrie from the lights to the switch. KRUSTY OUT......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.