order and build timeframe - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008- 2010 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
order and build timeframe

so i placed my 2010 f-350 order at the dealer on 10/14/09.

i looked around and see that orders need to be transmitted by 10/22/09 for the 2010MY (is this correct?).

some questions:
what happens if the dealer doesn't transmit the order on time?
does the dealer need to have an allotment available (i saw this posted somewhere) to order a vehicle?
when do dealers send orders to the factory? the dealer system has an order #, but when does ford get it?
how long to generate a VIN (so i can check that the options are correct).

the dealer indicated 6-8 weeks which is borderline for my financing ( i am waiting for the bank to call me back with this issue).
is it a hard 6-8 weeks from order date or transmit date?

sorry for the anxious questions, but it is the first time i have ordered a vehicle and i dont know the process. that and i am anxious to get my new truck....... lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0guenj View Post
what happens if the dealer doesn't transmit the order on time?
Then Ford makes the order for a 2011 model, but notifies the dealer so the dealer can cancel the order if he doesn't want to order a 2011.

Quote:
does the dealer need to have an allotment available (i saw this posted somewhere) to order a vehicle?
No, not to order, but to have the truck built in a normal timespan he might need an allocation. Without an allocation the order simply goes to the back of the line and might get built after all the orders for dealers with allocation are completed.

Allocation is a problen only when demand exceeds supply. I doubt that allocation is a factor on current orders.

A dealer receives allocation based on how many similar vehicles he has sold in the last year or so. So a dealer that sells lots of SuperDuty pickups will receive lots of allocation for SuperDuty pickups.

Quote:
when do dealers send orders to the factory?
Any time they want to. The "order bank" is an internet database, and a dealer can transmit a transaction to that database at any time. The same way you can make a post on TheDieselStop anytime your PC is up and running and your ISP is working. But then normally Ford's automated order system hangs onto that order until the next Thursday afternoon. On Thursday, all the open orders in the order bank are sorted and arranged in the order they will be built. The orders are arranged by date/time of receipt into the system, then by dealer-assigned priority number. If there are more orders in the order bank than Ford will build in the target production week, then dealer allocation is applied to see which orders are scheduled for production and which spend another week in the order bank.

Quote:
the dealer system has an order #, but when does ford get it?
As soon as Ford's automated order system accepts the order. Usually immediately.

Quote:
how long to generate a VIN (so i can check that the options are correct).
You don't need a VIN. When you ordered the truck you should have requested a priced DORA, order code C09. DORA = dealer order receipt acknowledgment. If you (or the dealer) didn't include order code C09, then there'll still be a DORA, but without prices. As soon as the automated order system accepts the order, plus one business day, it will send a DORA to the dealer's computer. The DORA is basically a copy of the order, but it confirms that Ford agrees to built the vehicle exactly as listed on the DORA.

The order system also has an "order confirmation". But that only confirms what the dealer asked for, and not necessarily what Ford will build. When the DORA shows up a day or so later, then you'll know exactly what Ford is building for you.

After your order is grabbed out of the order bank (usually on Thursday night) and scheduled for production, then a VIN is assigned. The VIN and estimated date of assembly is sent to the dealer.

Quote:
is it a hard 6-8 weeks from order date or transmit date?
It's an estimate. It can be as early as 5 weeks, most take 6 to 7 weeks, and a few require 8 weeks. Usually if it's more than 7 weeks, it's because Ford ran out of something you ordered, so your order had to wait for a backorder to come in.

You ordered on Wednesday, so that's good, if your dealerperson got the order in the computer before the deadline on Thursday. Your order could have been scheduled by Thursday night, and the dealer could have a DORA by the following Monday (19 Oct). Then it takes a coupla weeks for the assembly plant to gather together all your parts and components and get them ready to go together. So we're at 2 Nov when your truck starts down the line, and it will come off the line on 3 Nov. Give the lot boys a few days to get it on the right train, then the train heads cross country to a mixing yard - call it 7 Nov. It might spend a coupla days in the mixing yard, then heads out again on a different train. It takes the train a coupla days to arrive at the destination railyard (or ramp), so call it 14 Nov. The convoy (car-hauler trucks) kill another coupla days getting it selected and loaded on a hauler going the right direction, then the hauler heads out. But he has several vehicles for other dealers on the hauler, and yours will be the last one unloaded, so call it Wednesday, 18 Nov, 5 weeks after your dealer processed the order.

You can dream, but don't count on faster than 5 weeks, and only a tiny percentage of orders make it in 5 weeks.

While you're waiting, Ford keeps the dealer advised as to the status of the order. The status is in code, so if you want to learn what it means, go to the Diesel FAQs off the home page, then to '99-up FAQ, then to "During your order". If it were mine, I'd call my dealerperson once a week and have him find my order number in the automated order system and print out the status page for me. Or better yet, let him know that you'll show up in his office every Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to pick up a copy of the order status report for your order number.

After the truck leaves the assembly plant, the Ford status doesn't change much. If you want to follow the boxcar across the country, then get the railcar number from the status system and then go to the railway company and see if they allow customers to trace boxcar numbers. Some do, some don't..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 10-27-2009 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

smokey,

thanks for the patience and sorry to be a pain......i am anxious in so many ways....lol

so the salesman is an older guy, but super friendly and technically challenged so i didn't get much from him other than the price.

he called me back and said it was in an unscheduled clean status, so i will bug him again at the end of next week.

EDIT:
i checked out that order faq..... good stuff.

hopefully travel time isn't bad. i ordered it in va beach.

with regards to the order, ford can build something not ordered (ie missing options)? will the dealer say this is how your truck will turn out, do you still want it?

Last edited by r0guenj; 10-27-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Don't rely on the dealerperson. Insist on a copy of the latest DORA, then make up your own mind.

You need a copy of the latest order guide for your truck, so you can have all the order codes. Else the DORA won't make much sense. Bobby Williams' website still doesn't work, but he posted a direct link to the 2010 SuperDuty order guide, so be sure you have that.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

still in unscheduled clean status..... looks like i will be off to the dealer to bug him in person.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Wait until Friday. Thursday night is the big event when Ford pulls unscheduled orders out of the order bank and schedules them for production. By Friday morning, the order status system should be updated. So if your dealerperson looks up your order number in the ordering system on Friday morning, he'll probably report that the status has changed.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

VIN assigned.

build week is 11/23/09.

what is the time frame for delivery now? 2 weeks after estimated build week?

i got my banks kit and i am anxious to install and drive..... lol
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Why did not you wait until the 2011 may I ask?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 F-250 7.3 IDI Diesel 4:10 (99k) 4x4 ext cab (Prodigy brake controller
)

'98 Ranger 4x4 ext cab - wheelin' in the mud

John Deere 510D Backhoe - it's not a ford, but it's nice
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

while i am normally up for bleeding edge, vehicles are the one thing that i can restrain myself on.

it is also my first diesel and for the most part i haven't found anything to say stay away from the 6.4.

my driving would be considered babying it in terms of the amount of work that i will expect out of the truck (other than hauling my fat ass around.......lol).
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Your build "week" is the week of Monday, 11/23 thru Sunday, 11/29. Depending on where you live and the amount of railroad traffic, your dealer should see it within three weeks, maybe two weeks - after 30 Nov - depending on how things click together. So you should be driving it before Xmas.

Of course if you live in Louisville KY your Louisville dealer could have it by early December.

By next Friday, your dealer' status report should show the week of expected delivery to the dealer. Because Thanksgiving will slow things down a bit, my guess is the week of 14 -20 December.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks smokey, that puts my order at 8 - 10 weeks instead of the 6 - 8 that the dealer stated.

i guess now i have to be patient then...... lol

is a week before build date that the vin will generate a window sticker? i also have to pick up a copy of the dora as well tomorrow from the dealer.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0guenj View Post
is a week before build date that the vin will generate a window sticker?
My understanding is that the window sticker is printed as soon as the order moves to status "locked in". The window sticker and all other parts and components needed to complete your order have to be sitting on the end of the assembly line before the status changes from locked in to bucked.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

scheduled build date is 11/25 per ford.

no window sticker or estimated delivery date yet.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

if anyone is interested in this info, i have the pricing plan from my truck.

msrp: 60390
invoice: 54781
a/z plan: 52744
d plan: 52844
x plan: 54836

still no update other than the build date of 11/25. no window sticker either.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

woot! sticker is finally available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in