5.4L 3v Spark Plug Removal Instructions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008- 2010 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 2008- 2010 Super Duty trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4L 3v Spark Plug Removal Instructions

Well I finally had one come in the shop recently after not seeing them for a long time. So I decided to shoot a video on the current favorite removal method that is working for us shops out there, since there are a few videos out there but they are all of poor quality. This works about 90% of the time. It seems you will usually break one out of 8 though and for that I have a new video coming out showing in detail the extraction process made simple. I hope this helps as this can be very costly. Most shops charge a half and hour more in additional labor each plug that breaks this can really add up!

Check out all my Ford Tech Repair Videos @

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please Subscribe. Always something new and interesting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just did one of those dreaded engines last month. 6 of 8 split in half, and found Sea Foam spray was the ticket along with the tool. Installed new one piece plugs from Napa.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah any good strong carbon dissolver will do, we just use what ford recommends here at the dealer and most of the time it works. Man is it strong stuff.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM

I pretty much never break any of the plugs anymore when removing. The process is pretty simple. Get the engine as hot as you can get it. I mean full temp. Shut down the engine and quickly remove 2 coil packs. Use an electric impact and quickly burp in reverse and then forward. I do this 2-3 times. Then full out. Hardly any break using this method.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Sorry, but I wouldn't think of using an impact gun on a spark plug.

I'll take the slow sure way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

Chuck, an impact is the only real way to get them out. Otherwise they will break, no matter how many chemicals that you try to use-- even with the new whiz bang tool that just hit the market that is supposed to grip the whole plug. Carb cleaner rarely works and is a colossal waste of time and huge mess-- not to mention that the exhaust smell when started is acrid to the point of overloading all but the best shop exhaust removal systems. Watch those plugs aftermarket plugs too. The porcelain likes to eject from the plug in operation.

Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM

Forgot to add, that on reinstallation, its best to use a small round brass wire brush to clear out the crap in the plug bore. Blow it out well and make sure that the well and the area where the plugs sealing base is clean and clear. Then torque to spec. If you don't clean you WILL mistorque and have a customer complaining of a fuel smell in the cab.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM

Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Train Horns:

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sorry, but I wouldn't think of using an impact gun on a spark plug.

I'll take the slow sure way.

You just have to be smarter than the electric impact. Short burst just to break the carbon bond loose. Out of many, many, many 5.4L 3V spark plugs I had to remove, this method is almost 100% effective. The chemicals just don't seem to work. Even sitting overnight.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I agree, the man is right. Using an impact has proven to be very effective.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.

There definitely are many ways. Even with the impact method,I, for one, am still glad that Lisle makes a great extractor tool! Cause its like James said, "ALMOST 100% effective".

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT90SC View Post
There definitely are many ways. Even with the impact method,I, for one, am still glad that Lisle makes a great extractor tool! Cause its like James said, "ALMOST 100% effective".
Yes I get allot of use out of that tool since the plugs are getting on in age and they just don't seem to come out as easy as they used to.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:30 PM
rmr

V10's don't have this problem?

1986 F250,Regular cab,XL,4X4,6.9, 4 speed,
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
V10's don't have this problem?
The 5.4 3v was the first of this kind, the 4.6 3v came after and the 6.8l 3v after that so they had some time to do engineering fixes so the problem still is there but there is almost never a problem on these two engines not like the 5.4.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Few notes here-
-It is best to do this while the engine is warm, so after soaking the plugs overnight blow out the rest of the solvent and reinstall coils without bolts and run engine till warm.
-Also if your ignition coil boots are brown in color and not black you have the new plug design that does not have this issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in