is 3/8" thick enough for winch bumper? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Road Discussions Off-Road, modifications and racing forum. This is for Off-Road racing only, The Diesel Stop does not promote speeding or racing on the street and does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices for street driven cars or trucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation is 3/8" thick enough for winch bumper?

i'm building a winch bumper for my 85 f250 diesel and i need to know if 3/8" is strong enough for an m12000 winch.

2004 CREW CAB PSD, no mods, 305/70/16R wrangler MTR.
1985 ford f-250 4x4 6.9l sc "the beast"
4" lift, 35" toyo mud terrain's, Ip turned up, stacks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

come on guys, somebody on here has to know something about steel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Patience, patience. You posted after 11:00 pm Friday night, many folks are not on that late. It is only noon or so on Saturday. Give it a bit of time, folks will get back to you.

I have not fabricated much myself but have had things done, if you go with 3/8" steel plate to make the bumper I would reinforce from the back with 1/2" x 2" steel bar stock on edge to make things rigid. Reinforce at minimum the entire width between the frame mounts. This will keep things from tweaking if you do side pull or have to give a real grunt straight ahead. M1200 is a pretty beastly winch - I wish I had one.

I tend to overengineer things, my back bumper is made of 8" channel that is a full inch thick AND is reinforced to boot. I did not build the bumper, it was on the truck when I bought it, but I did add the "steps" on the bottom, made of standard 8" channel steel. It is a heavy beast (estimated at 450-500 lbs) but will not bend, link in signature for a picture and I can send details of construction if you wish in an MS Word document. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want the info.

THANK YOU to all the heroes in our military and all the heroes at home who wait for their safe return. I am humbled by and grateful for your service and sacrifice.

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS
, LUK clutch, homemade
, open element
, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.

Last edited by Believer45; 09-12-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 PM

My Photos: (0)
I've built a bunch of bumpers for various rigs, and I can tell you that 3/8" is plenty strong for the load bearing portion of the bumper, and depending on the design may even be over kill. Only use the 3/8 for the center section, unless you're just looking to make the thing obscenely heavy. There is no need for any 1/2" in the build; I generally brace with 1/4" and it works out fine. I do make shackle tabs out of 1", but that really has nothing to do with mount strength for the winch. Good luck with your build.

Also, regarding the M12000, I see a LOT of these winches mounted incorrectly. When designing your mount remember that all of the Warn Heavy Weight series of winches are required to be mounted feet forward instead of feet down. All of the lighter winches can be mounted feet down, but that can and will damage a 12k winch. Reason being, the end plates are made out of aluminum, and when mounted feet down it will stretch the mounting bolts and rack the winch, bending the tie rods. I know this because I just bought a Warn M15000 for my trail truck that this had happened to. When the winch is mounted feet forward the winch mount bears the weight of the pull, not the mounting bolts and end plates.

'97 F-350 Crew Cab, ZF5, 4WD. ISSPro gauges, DIY Tymar intake & 3.5" downpipe

Last edited by Roughshod; 09-13-2009 at 04:03 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your input roughshod! wouldn't of known about the feet forward thing. Do you think you could help me with a good design, i have started one but it's based on one i seen with the winch mounted on top of the bumper and i'm trying to get the winch recessed so that the roller is in middle of bumper and the winch doesn't stick out unprotected

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Sure, I'd be happy to help. First off, what is your vision for how this is going to turn out? Are we taking about just a winch mount concealed behind the stock bumper? Or a whole bumper replacement? Or just a center section winch mount with no real "bumper" to speak of? I know that last one sounds weird, but for a trail truck that is what a lot of people like. Here is the winch mount I built for my Bronco. Originally I built it around a Warn 8274, which is a huge winch despite its 8k capacity, and then I swapped that 8274 for the current M15000. What those two winches share in common is that they are both front mount designs. I always intended to "finish" it by wrapping around the front corners, but never got around to it. I've been running this bumper for about three years now. I doubt this is what you're looking for, but what the heck, I like showing my work.

Warn 8274 mounted.

Side view; I mounted it up and out like that to preserve my approach angle.

Swapped out the 8274 for the M15000. The grille is missing due to my pusher fans, not the winch mount.

'97 F-350 Crew Cab, ZF5, 4WD. ISSPro gauges, DIY Tymar intake & 3.5" downpipe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

i'd like to get a full width bumper as i drive this truck on the road alot so i want it to look appealing but something i don't have to spend a fortune having a welder cut. your bumper looks superb for trails, if you get in something deep there's no fishing to get at winch. i really appreciate the help!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

i guess i'll make one out of 3/8" then, thanks for the help guys

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 03:59 PM

My Photos: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believer45 View Post
... I tend to overengineer things, my back bumper is made of 8" channel that is a full inch thick ...
That's an example of being overbuilt, not overengineered.

-
Douglas Campbell, P.E.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
- Never did get around to converting it to french-fry oil, which is why I originally stumbled upon this site.

Last edited by drcampbell; 09-20-2009 at 06:42 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hougie View Post
i'd like to get a full width bumper as i drive this truck on the road alot so i want it to look appealing but something i don't have to spend a fortune having a welder cut. your bumper looks superb for trails, if you get in something deep there's no fishing to get at winch. i really appreciate the help!
Not sure if you already bought the material but a full width 3/8"s bumper is adding way too much weight to the front of your rig. Only the base mount for the winch needs to be 3/8 to 1/2. Here's one that's tube and has a 1/2 base plate.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM

house of diesel, are those Michelin XZLs? If so, what size?

Charlie

diesel Landcruiser & M37; 05 Unimog U500 w/Unicat camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Road Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in