4"x30' 40,000# recovery strap enough? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Road Discussions Off-Road, modifications and racing forum. This is for Off-Road racing only, The Diesel Stop does not promote speeding or racing on the street and does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices for street driven cars or trucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is a point where you stop using a snatch strap and go to a winch! Like NEVERSWEAT7 said it's a nice steady even pull, that way you have less broken parts.

95 F350, 7.3 PSD, CC, ZF5 speed, 4x4, Dually, Autometer EGT, Boost and Engine Temp Gauges, HPOP and Fuel Pressure Gauges, DP and 4 inch exhaust, Tymar Intake, CPR Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, Intercooled, IDM Mod, WW2

85 Ranger, 302, ZF5 speed, Klune-V, Dana 20, Explorer front and rear diffs, 35 inch TSLs, ARBs, Superwinch

Last edited by 95DRW4x4; 01-02-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 AM

My Photos: (2)
I do alot of rock crawling, trail riding etc with my modified toyota...so I see very little thick mud but I do use a winch with snatch blocks quite often.
As far as snatch straps, back in the day in my younger years I'd love to bury my stock toyota in 2ft of mud and we used 2" for those lighter trucks;
4" for full size;
However, different strap makers use different thicknesses too...
for instance, I've got a 4" from Loading Ramps, Hauling, Transport, & Skateboard Ramp Superstore - Discount Ramps.com that I keep in my super duty but it's relatively thin.....most likely comparable to a 3" white strap from TSC.
But, for the money, can't go wrong.
I've got alot from discount ramps and have been very happy with their service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
y2k F250 7.3 psd Calif emissions, ext cab long bed 265/75/R16 E rated tires, 230k miles 4x4 (nv271 manual t-case) 7.3 #1247981 1/18/00 (forged rods), 3.73LSD, non-diode 4R100, Dp tuner stock, 60t 60e 80t 80e, high idle. DIY 6637 air filter, wicked wheel, turbo master WG controller, turbo lifesaver, bellowed uppies, 4" downpipe & exhaust, 203t-stat, triple pod glowshift gauges (egt, tranny, boost), Ride-rite 2330 air bags, BTS VB, Sports a Western plow when the white stuff flies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 6.7 Lariat 4x4 CCSB CM/TM bed w/b&w turnover 285/65r20

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31 View Post
Snapped one of those clean in half with only a 1/2 F-150. I'll never use the cheap crap again. I've upgraded twice. I went to this TSC 6" 55K strap. Almost broke that and have since got a Master pull 74K lb recovery strap With the master pull you'll pull out a tow point or two (pulled one out of a F-550 with the master pull), the strap was still fine.

There is a place in Tampa, FL called Certified Slings that will also make similar straps. I know that the master pull is pricey but all you have to do is break a strap once to be at a 500 dollar deductible or worse really hurt or KILL someone
I would rather break my snatch strap then pull out a tow point, but thats just me. It seems like it would be alot cheaper to replace the $75 snatch strap then a ripped out tow point. On the subject of injuries as long as everyone is at a safe distance a snatch strap is alot less harmless than a tow hook/loop flying through the air. I still wouldnt want to nailed by a snatch strap though.

If I cant recover a stuck vehicle after 2-3 snatches its time to bust out the shovel and 2x6s. A winch would definitely be the way to go but I just cant justify spending 2000k+ on a winch setup when I can effectively spend about 150 on a nice strap, a few shovels, and a couple planks of wood. I will say that ive been in a few situations where digging is not and option and thats when I wish I had a beefier strap. As long as you take good care of the strap and keep most of the dirt out it will last you a long time.

2006 CC F250 FX4, SCT X3 with custom tunes, MBRP 4" turbo back, EDGE Insight w/ EGT probe, s&b...

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM

My Photos: (12)
i have broken 3 inch straps yanking people out with my 6.9. in my box i carry 1 3inch 30 footer, and 2 6 inch wide 30 footers. also have enough clevises to hook all three together and still have extras. also a 20 foot chain just in case.

some say overkill, but i have a dent on the back of my old cab from a 20000lb rated to hook i tore out of the frame on a blazer. scares the hell outa ya when that hits the cab.

PLAY TRUCK
1986 F250 6.9,ATS turbo, np435, BW1356, hp 60,welded up sterling 10.25.
converted from 2wd to 4x4
sittin on 36x12.5 goodyears
GETTING CONVERTED TO SHORTBED AS WE SPEAK!

TOW RIG
2002 gmc 2500hd 6.6 duramax 5 speed allison
4x4 extened cab.

2000 F550 Lube Truck (Work Truck)

Certified PA Inspection Mechanic

i'd rather be 6.9'n than cummin or strokin'!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM

FWIW dirt and grease contaminate the strap. Be sure you maintain your straps like any other piece of equipment. Some grease and anti freeze can seriously damage the material also.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 AM

snatch techniques also break a lot of vehicles, both sides or the chain/strap. Slow and steady is the way to go. If you can't do it slow get a shovel and give it to the driver that got stuck so they can start digging.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 PM

My Photos: (8)
We have four big trucks that go out with us. We bring four straps and 3 chains. We hardly ever have trouble getting out. I mostly use the logging chain and have never had any problems with it. I have broken 3 straps and still have the chain. To each his own tho. My buddy won't touch a chain to his truck.

IRAQ WAR VET. 3 YRS SERVICE AND 18 MONTHS IN THE SAND. R.I.P ALL MY ARMY BROTHERS WHO DIDNT MAKE IT BACK. ROCK OF THE MARNE 3ID 3BD HHC 1 15th MECH INF. Old blue. 1986 F250 Xlt larait. Supercab long bed. 4x4 6.9 N/A. 4 speed with granny. No soup bowl. Sunpro 3 gauge pod for water, voltage and oil pressure. Push button glow plug control with Kenworth dash light as glow plug light. AC 60g glow plug conversion. No more burnt up gps. Dana 50 TTB and sterling 10.25 with4.10 gears and limited slip. Custom 5 inch stack from a JohnDeere Tractor and custom push bar/ grill guard. 33 12.50 16.5 Wild Country radail rvts in the rear and brand new BFG All terrains TA KO`s in the front. Shes a beast son. Wish list. New windsheild. New tach and speedo. New paint that matches. Proud BOOB man.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 AM

you guys need to get Recovery straps alot of the straps your useng sound like there designed for hoisting and not pulling theres a difference.... an 8000lb truck can easily pull over say a 40,000lb rating, the hoisting slings arent designed for shock loading they do stretch but not in the elastic band type way. Most recovery straps should stretch almost double there length.

Useing chain or cable is just a ticking time bomb to someone loseing a head theres no give to them and the rating on them is no different then a sling and they do break easily.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 PM

i have a ford f250 fwd, i also have a 1-1/2 inch nylon braided mooring line 50' long,.would this be out of the question for a snatch rope?
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 AM

Talking

A quick way to reduce flying parts when using a chain or a cable is to take a half full sand bag and lay it over the middle. If the chain breaks it'll cause the long length to head to ground. I also have used an old fire hose and threaded the chain through that, My dad would only use a chain but put it in a pipe first but that's to awkward to carry.

I've used chains ropes and straps and only had one rope fail but we were trying to snatch something bigger than the rope's rating. Mooring lines are great, woven and braided are best, but watch the materials, polypropylene has very little stretch, and ropes really hate grease and oil. Most people don't think about it but you can wash ropes and straps, mild soap, I use Boraxo, just let them air dry.

Any of them can hurt you if they fail even cables. Nothing scarier than watching a 4" towing hawser explode.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Nothing can hurt you during a slow pull - only when snatching. And chain is the safest when snatching; it stores nearly NO energy, so when it breaks, it drops. But it's also the least-effective for snatching, and hardest on the vehicles, because it stores nearly no energy.

So I prefer to use chain, and I almost never do snatch recoveries.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have seen a lot of chains break and come flying towards the moving vehicle when doing a snatch recovery.

To slow down a lot of the flying equipment place a coat or blanket over the chain, strap or what ever you are using.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM

A chain max not flex/stretch to store energy, but when combined with a strap, it sure will. Seen it happen.
Sometimes you have to hook together everything you have. Lol
I've also heard of putting a tire in the middle. Basically take one section of chain, hook to one side of the tire, take another and hook to the other side. It'll take the jolt/shock out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM

Naturally, when you combine something safe with something unsafe, the result is unsafe. I was talking about chain ONLY. I was also talking about appropriately-sized chain; i.e., chain that can apply sufficient force for the recovery without breaking. Anything can be overstressed, so don't.

And though you may have to hook everything together, you don't have to snatch something that can't take it. If it broke, it didn't pull you out anyway, and probably won't now that it's broken. Always pull as slowly as possible. A slow pull WILL work on a snatch strap/rope/whatever. It's actually more-effective than chain/cable/inelastic because the stuck vehicle gets pulled even after it pops out of the hole. But it's a lot less-dangerous than snatching.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Nothing can hurt you during a slow pull - only when snatching. And chain is the safest when snatching; it stores nearly NO energy, so when it breaks, it drops. But it's also the least-effective for snatching, and hardest on the vehicles, because it stores nearly no energy.

So I prefer to use chain, and I almost never do snatch recoveries.
If you haven't seen a chain whip when it fails you are lucky as I have.

20 years in the Navy, almost another 20 working in refineries, power plants, chemical plants, gas compression stations plus any where they used large rotating machinery. We used a lot of lines, cables, chains, and chain falls and the only place anything was snatched was flight deck arresting cables. I've had 2 ton cases seized in the fit and when it comes loose they will "bounce" a good 6 inches, why we use guide pins and safety stops. I've watched all sorts of chains, cables, and lines separate and go flying. If you pull something whether it's a steady pull or snatch watch out. We had to search for the link in a 5 ton that failed and found it sticking in a piece of 1/2" plywood.

Remember when pulling line of fire. If you are in it it can hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Road Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Sled pulling | - »