Head Porting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Road Discussions Off-Road, modifications and racing forum. This is for Off-Road racing only, The Diesel Stop does not promote speeding or racing on the street and does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices for street driven cars or trucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Porting

Does anyone know of any shops in the states that specialize in head porting of diesel engines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:55 PM

I don't know of any but it's been discussed on here before. It's not really cost effective unless you do it yourself on a daily driver vehicle. Forced air induction does not benefit as much as a Naturally Aspirated engine would to this. I'm not saying that it doesn't help, but you would probably get more bang for your buck with a better turbo, air filter, injectors and so on...

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM

My Photos: (7)
yeah, and depending on what engine (7.3 in particular) if you just slap on the bigger turbo without addressing the restrictions in the heads, you will have significantly reduced the efficiency of the design. You can end up with higher back pressure without getting significantly more air into the combustion chambers, which certainly leads to more "bang" for the buck alright- especially when you pump up the pressure and don't bother with heavier springs. Suddenly you have valves that blow open hitting pistons, blown head gaskets, failed PMR's, out of control EGT's, intake temps that you wouldn't believe as the air compresses in the "necks" before reaching the bowls, puked turbos, turbo lag, blown hoses and intake plenums, etc. Ignorance is bliss- right up until reality bites.

Porting my 7.3 heads helps tremendously- 100 degress lower temps and aprox 75 more hp, but it was so time consuming (100 hours) and such a filthy PITA that I'd never do another set of them. It's not cheap either- a die grinder with a compressor big enough to run it (or big heavy electric die grinder), numerous carbide burrs (some of which can kill you because of their length) , and about a million sanding cartridges are spendy, as well as very hard on the elbows, wrists, lungs and sinuses. I was offered $2,000 to do another pair and said NO. Mine are for sale for $2,000 if anyone is interested. New valves, seats, guides, hypermax springs, hardened pushrods, all with 10,000 gentle miles on them. Two bent valves (a very easy and inexensive fix) from an unrelated incident- a Cunningham connecting rod fatigue cracked and broke off. That was the last straw for me and I began the process of converting to a Cummins.

BTW, I documented the entire process on here a few years ago- don't know if that can still be accessed.

Porting is such a nasty job that I paid someone else to port my 5.9 cummins head.

clam the powerstroke grinch
2000 Excursion LTD 4x4
Slightly tweaked HPCR 5.9 Cummins
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 AM

as clamgulch said, porting is almost always worth it for any application...I'm by no means a powerstroke expert but I do design and build engines for a living (a bored mechanical engineer who hates 9-5 office jobs) and part of which is porting heads.
For a mildly modified (increased boost and injectors) towing setup it will help out. It will knock down those EGT, help with manifold pressure ratio (making a happier turbo) and will increase tq/hp too. Of course for a race truck the more you will see in the way of gains, as the heads are more a of a restrcition to it.
-Micah

'00 F250 7.3L, 4x4, 6-spd, SCT X3, ATTA 90 gallon tank/toolbox, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 kit. WVO kit in the making...now if I could just finish getting the CANbus code written for that HE431VE.

'96 Impreza "WRX" coupe time attack car
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM

should be done on a a peterson, sunen , etc.

my opinion

new seats installed 3 angle cut.
new valves.
new springs.
new seals.
new locks, maybe.

since you have the head off, go ahead and stud it.

just what I did to mine.

if you don't have the machines to do it with you can use your hand tools.
start with goodson, they have the tools that you need to do it with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM

I use a serdi for my valve jobs and a sf-600 for varification

'00 F250 7.3L, 4x4, 6-spd, SCT X3, ATTA 90 gallon tank/toolbox, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 kit. WVO kit in the making...now if I could just finish getting the CANbus code written for that HE431VE.

'96 Impreza "WRX" coupe time attack car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Road Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in