Rear diff lock? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Road Discussions Off-Road, modifications and racing forum. This is for Off-Road racing only, The Diesel Stop does not promote speeding or racing on the street and does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices for street driven cars or trucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jorelp
Rear diff lock?

84 F250 6.9 diesel. how do i intentify the axle to buy a diff lock? ive heard people say dana44, dana 50, and dana 60? is there a stamp somewhere? i dont think the axle is original.. its 8 bolt and one side is left hand thread(older im assuming?) these trucks are horrible in 2 wheel drive. one wheel on a little puddle and i have to get out and lock the front hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 PM

This information comes predominantly from the "Differentials" book from Randy Lyman of Randy's Ring & Pinion.

You can probably eliminate the Dana 44 pretty easily as it is a light duty axle that is not suitable for use on a 3/4 ton truck and were never installed as original equipment on anything bigger than a 1/2 ton. Another disqualifier is the 8 bolt axles - you won't find them on a Dana 44.

The Dana 50 is a front axle application only, and modifying it for use in the rear would be very expensive, complicated, and pointless (if even possible).

So out of the 3 you listed, the Dana 60 is the most likely - it was also the axle that Ford originally installed in the F-250 until 1985. I have also read that left hand thread lug nuts were used on the driver's side during that time.

There are 2 other Dana axles that might look similar to the 60 - the Dana 61 & Dana 70. The 61 was only used on 2 wheel drive F-250/F-350 & E-250/E-350 applications from the mid '70's to mid '80's. The Dana 70 was used on dually applications almost exclusively (used by Ford, Dodge, GM, International, and Jeep)

Usually the easiest way to identify an axle is by the shape and bolt count of the rear cover since any other markings on the axle are either not permanent in nature or covered by rust. There may be a tag on one of the bolts on the differential cover, but those tags usually only identify gear ratio and possibly the presence of limited slip. In the book I have, the Dana 60/61/70 cover is the same, so the only way to tell the difference between them is by gear ratio and ring gear diameter.

If you can post a picture of the cover, I'll compare it to pictures in my book, or you can find pictures of the axle covers somewhere in the vastness of the internet.

2003 F-250 4x4, 7.3L PowerStroke
6" Skyjacker Z-link lift, 35" MT Baja ATZ tires
18" Wheels
Warn 16.5Ti winch w/ hidden mount
Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers
Dynatrac Free-Spin Front Hub Conversion
Edge Juice Programmer
Fabtech Ladder Bars

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced package - New Hampshire seacoast - Just bring beer!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to jorelp
thats loads of info!! thanks man. well, ill be pressure washing the underside with in the next couple weeks and letting it dry before i give it fresh undercoating. once its all cleaned up i'll snap a few pics.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM

a bit late but fod future needs here is a site showing most used diffs covers and axle id charts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...bgUxl7CWTiM%3A

http://www.drivetrainpartslasvegas.c...ory_s/1869.htm

larry
kg6tgu
2006 F250 4X4, 6.0 w/ auto, quad door cab, short bed.
for now just a stocker set up for pulling a fifth wheel, and moto transport.
N 38*09*900
W 120*49*900

Last edited by packnrat; 12-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Road Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in