Sled pulling tips - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Off-Road Discussions Off-Road, modifications and racing forum. This is for Off-Road racing only, The Diesel Stop does not promote speeding or racing on the street and does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices for street driven cars or trucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sled pulling tips

Before anyone attacks me, i did use the search function and didnt find what i was looking for. i tried google and found some, but not all questions answered.

I want to know techniques. I am new to diesels and especially new to sled pulls. My truck is a 2005 F350 with SW CC with a six inch lift. basically stock with a stc livewire, intake, and mbrp 4" stainless turbo back with duals. i only have 35" mickey thompson ATZ tires but i have heard an aggressive all terrain is good. i have been to a couple sled pulls and have seen some guys build boost, some guys roll into it and build as they go. which is best?
a lot of guys have issues with hopping which seems to break stuff. is this controlled by feathering the throttle?
i have air bags in the rear suspension. how high of pressure should i use?
what tire pressure should i run?
im not sure the weight of my truck, but if i have room to add weight, is it best to keep the weight at the back of the box as far back as i can, or directly over the axel?
i have an automatic transmission- what should i do? manually put it in 1st? 2nd? just go with drive? im assuming tow/haul mode is a good idea.
4x4 high or 4x4 low?
what kind of hitch set-up do i have to bring?
some guys rev their trucks up before they stage. why? should i?

the type of pulls i would enter would be small town fall-fair kind of thing, but i do not want to look like an idiot when i go for my first pull in front of hundreds of people that i know. any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	5765
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	8539  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:35 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip60 View Post
Before anyone attacks me, i did use the search function and didnt find what i was looking for. i tried google and found some, but not all questions answered.

I want to know techniques. I am new to diesels and especially new to sled pulls. My truck is a 2005 F350 with SW CC with a six inch lift. basically stock with a stc livewire, intake, and mbrp 4" stainless turbo back with duals. i only have 35" mickey thompson ATZ tires but i have heard an aggressive all terrain is good. i have been to a couple sled pulls and have seen some guys build boost, some guys roll into it and build as they go. which is best?
a lot of guys have issues with hopping which seems to break stuff. is this controlled by feathering the throttle?
i have air bags in the rear suspension. how high of pressure should i use?
what tire pressure should i run?
im not sure the weight of my truck, but if i have room to add weight, is it best to keep the weight at the back of the box as far back as i can, or directly over the axel?
i have an automatic transmission- what should i do? manually put it in 1st? 2nd? just go with drive? im assuming tow/haul mode is a good idea.
4x4 high or 4x4 low?
what kind of hitch set-up do i have to bring?
some guys rev their trucks up before they stage. why? should i?

the type of pulls i would enter would be small town fall-fair kind of thing, but i do not want to look like an idiot when i go for my first pull in front of hundreds of people that i know. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Well i'm not into sled pulling but...............i'm sure everyone is reading this post and saying to them self O my GOD.Brother..... with a stock truck and a turner and then pulling a sled,your truck is not going to last at all.I smell a blown head gasket whating to happen and then maybe a injector or two and then BOOOOOOM the hole thing goes south.Pulling a sled is going to give you some serious high EGT'S.You are going to need a EGT GAUGE and do not let it go over 1200 degs for a long time or you will be looking at a $5,000 bill to fix your head gasket.I not trying to be harsh just trying to help a new 6.0L friend a helping hand If i was you i would do some serious reading on the the 6.0l before you go in to deep.Now on that note there are things that can be done to make it stonger but a stock truck don't stand a chance. JUST MY 2 CENS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 CC SB FX4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

diesel site coolant filter, Scangauge 2,Rotella ELC coolant,4" MBRP with 5"Single Stack, updated fuel (Blue fuel spring)3c3z-9T517-Ag
STC Fitting, High Pressure oil Stand Pipes,Nitto Trail Grapplers MT, Daystar 2-1/2 leveling kit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot 2005 View Post
Well i'm not into sled pulling but...............i'm sure everyone is reading this post and saying to them self O my GOD.Brother..... with a stock truck and a turner and then pulling a sled,your truck is not going to last at all.I smell a blown head gasket whating to happen and then maybe a injector or two and then BOOOOOOM the hole thing goes south.Pulling a sled is going to give you some serious high EGT'S.You are going to need a EGT GAUGE and do not let it go over 1200 degs for a long time or you will be looking at a $5,000 bill to fix your head gasket.I not trying to be harsh just trying to help a new 6.0L friend a helping hand If i was you i would do some serious reading on the the 6.0l before you go in to deep.Now on that note there are things that can be done to make it stonger but a stock truck don't stand a chance. JUST MY 2 CENS
Agreed... IF you stay stock, you will blow it... You need the following mods before you even consider hooking to a sled...

APR Head Studs
Bulletproof EGR Delete
Bulletproof OIl Cooler
Coolant Filter
By-Pass Oil Filter
GUAGES (MANY GUAGES)
- Exhaust Gas Temp
- Engine OIl Temp
- Engine Coolant Temp
- Boost
- Tranny Temp
- Fuel Pressure Guage

Good luck........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the advice guys, i have the guages and studs and my tranny was just built. as far as the truck goes, i think it should be okay to go for one or two pulls. this isnt going to be a weekly occurance. but thanx for the advice so far.

now that the truck portion is covered, has anyone got any tecnique tips as well?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Don't forget trac bars to keep axle wrap to a min

Jotto desk / laptop / printer for giving estimates
3000 watt inverter keeps drill batteries charged
4" tubo back MBRP cool duals
CFM+ intake elbow / Airaid cold air intake
SCT X3 from innovative diesel
Coolant Filter / Amsoil by-pass system
ATS Intercooler
Fluidampr / 200 amp alternator
ARP head bolts / Black onyx head gaskets
185cc Injectors 70hp+ / stock turbo
stage 1 fuel lines / cross over with fixed orifice
58 volt FIMC mod from swamps diesel
Airdog 2 with in tank fuel module upgrade Mag-Hytec Diff. and trans. covers
Aluminum degas tank

Last edited by paintingman; 10-10-2010 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

dumb question: what is axle wrap?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM

a simple way of explaning axle wrap is. when power is applied to the drivetrain, the tires will have a certain amount of traction before they spin. during this time the tires try to propel the truck in the forward direction they apply an equall but opposite force on the rear end. If you stand beside the truck. The tires try to turn in a counterclockwise rotation and force the rearend in a clockwise rotation. Because the leaf springs that attach the axle to the truck are springs, they allow a certain amount of WRAP or twist. The problem with this is when the tires lose traction (spin) the axle wrap twists back to original position and then the tires regain traction and the wrap begins again. This process of traction, slip, traction, slip is usually what causes axle hop and severe loading of components. hope this description helps.

Somedays its just not worth chewing through the restraints

2011 F350 CC lariat ultimate dually with nav, line x, more mods comming
Y2K 4x4 250 PSD Xcab, auto, way too many mods to list Broken March 2011, written off due to collision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Road Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in