The Diesel Stop banner

May be purchasing my first diesel

7K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Relentless007 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would like people with 3-5 years of owning a diesel truck to mainly post.

I want to purchase a new family and tow vehicle. Need 4 door and a towing capacity of at least 11k

I plan on buying a F250 and from what I see on cars.com there is alot to choose from.

Price range 8,000 to 15,000.

I have a few questions.

1. What is the general maintenance on a Diesel truck compared to a gas truck?..what will i need to replace on a yearly basis other than the general stuff like oil changes, brakes, etc. i heard stories about replacing diesel fuel filters, diesel-water separator.

2. With Wisconsin winters what do I need to do to prepare truck for that weather?

3. At what mileage to diesel engines start to fail?

please feel free to add anything i may need to consider when moving from a gas vehicle to a diesel vehicle.

all mature advice needed here

thanks and sorry for making you read this essay i just wrote...i just want to be prepared for something I will be buying and have no idea about diesel trucks at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
need a little more information.

what years are you looking for?

4x4 or 2x4?

Dual rear wheel or single rear wheels?

automatic or standard?

theres alot of differences between servicing different years and different options.

#4 · (Edited)
I would like people with 3-5 years of owning a diesel truck to mainly post.

I want to purchase a new family and tow vehicle. Need 4 door and a towing capacity of at least 11k

I plan on buying a F250 and from what I see on cars.com there is alot to choose from.

Price range 8,000 to 15,000.

I have a few questions.

1. What is the general maintenance on a Diesel truck compared to a gas truck?..what will i need to replace on a yearly basis other than the general stuff like oil changes, brakes, etc. i heard stories about replacing diesel fuel filters, diesel-water separator.

2. With Wisconsin winters what do I need to do to prepare truck for that weather?

3. At what mileage to diesel engines start to fail?

please feel free to add anything i may need to consider when moving from a gas vehicle to a diesel vehicle.

all mature advice needed here

thanks and sorry for making you read this essay i just wrote...i just want to be prepared for something I will be buying and have no idea about diesel trucks at all.

1. A: oil change every 7,000 - 10,000 miles fuel filter every 15,000-20,000 miles. Transmission service every 100,000 miles (Not 100% sure on the transmission somebody correct me if im wrong) If properly maintained these trucks can last forever.

2. A: In winter it is usually a good idea to switch to a lighter viscosity oil such as 5w-40. Also it is good practice to use some sort of anti fuel gell fuel aditive such as "diesel 911"

3. A: Thats a broad question with proper maintenance they can last forever however do your reasearch on the ford 6.0 engine and 6.4 problems. The ford 6.7 is a very good engine but finding one in your price range would be difficult.

Older model 7.3 trucks (99-2003) have well proven themselves im up to 220,000 miles and have never had an engine problem other then a few oil leaks. However the automatic transmission are the weak links on these trucks so they must be properly maintained. They are said to be million mile trucks. May be something to consider and in my opinion they are the cheapest and easiest to fix if something goes wrong. Make sure to do your research on the 6.0 and 6.4 common engine problems just to be aware of what you "could" experience. In my opinion also the later the model of each generation truck, the better chance you will have not running across problems as they seem to be the more "upgraded" vehicles.

#5 ·
If I were you I would not rule out 2000-03 7.3 they are known for their dependability and can easily get 500,000 miles out if the motor. The newer 6.0 motors had issues but can be made dependable.

#6 ·
Jmadigan and Texkenusmc hit the nail on the head. Get yourself a 7.3. Preferably 02-03 range just because of the improved electronics.

Jmadigan - transmission every 100,000? AAAGH! I drop my pan every third oil change and replace 8 quarts. If you want to do a complete flush instead, you can do it every 30K. Also, 5,000 mile oil change intervals are recommended.

#7 ·
The problem I am having is the Queen of the house. The truck would be her daily driver and she does not want to go to bare bones int. She is driving a 2007 Yukon now and has expectations. Oh and she hates the idea of driving a truck. I told her she already was with the Yukon. lol Currently checking into a 2007 F250 with the 6.0. Mileage: 100,568 Fuel: Diesel
Engine: Diesel V8 6.0L/364
Transmission: Automatic VIN: 1FTSW21P27EA63371
Drive type: 4WD.

#8 · (Edited)
Do your research and make sure it is bullet proofed if it is tuned at all. The 6.0 can be good after 5+G in modes and well maintained. Or stock and babied. I would hate for you to get one that she doesn't like and cost you a lot on repairs. That would just put a bad taste in your mouth for diesels.

#11 ·
The 2005 excursions tow capacity is right at 11,000. not sure if that will work for your set up

#14 ·
I'll just throw this out there, you mention you need a tow vehicle... but for how many miles a year?

A diesel engine is a significant risk of significantly higher maintenance/ repair cost especially if you are not doing the repair work yourself. If you plan on only towing a couple thousand miles a year for example and then use is as a daily driver (in a cold climate too), you may be setting yourself up for some large repairs that could be avoided with a gas truck. If it's not about the lowest cost of ownership and you just want a diesel, buy and enjoy but if cost of ownership is fairly high on the list... you could end up in the doghouse with the "Queen of the house" pretty quick.

And no, 244K miles is not the end of the world on a 7.3L if it has been maintained.

#15 ·
The car fax report shows all listed maintenance at the local ford dealerships. This vehicle would be my wife's daily driver, tow vehicle and vehicle we use to travel to Indiana and Southern Illinois for visits with family. Have a 96 4/4 ton suburban now as a tow vehicle with a 7.4 454 gasser. only gets 8 mpg when towing and is getting up in age. 274,000 miles.

My thought was to replace her Yukon with a diesel SUV and sell out 40' trailer for a smaller one(now kids are leaving the nest) and possible double tow with our boat as well. In Wisconsin I can go up to 97' tip to tail.

As for repairs I will try to do what I can at home, as I have done all my life with my current vehicles. I will just have to learn a new language with diesel lol.

#16 ·
"911" is an after thought if the truck is already jelled. As power service ad says white bottle plan "A" red bottle "911" plan "B" incase you forgot plan "A" Owned Ford diesels since I was 15 in iowa knock on wood never been jelled. Clean fuel addative new ford filters and good batteries they should start. Diesel is addictive if you never had you don't know what your missing but once you get it it's hard to shake. LOVE my diesels!!

#17 ·
7.3l And 6.0l I recommend 3-4,000 on oil changes for longer injector life. no more than 50k on trans. or don't do it 12,-15,000 on fuel filters and run motorcraft filters in fords for best results. Ford cap on 6.0 and 6.4 oil filters it can be reused but only if it is a ford cap ec-781 6.0l

#21 ·
3-4K on an oil change is throwing good oil away with these truck and money!
5-7 K. Don't just throw oil away for the heck of it, it's 13 qt not 5.
No matter how you drive that truck your not going to beat that oil down in 3-4 k plus you have the filters, the environment, and the time involved. Go by the book.

#19 · (Edited)
I have over 300,000 miles on my 7.3 and runs like new. My sister has almost 600,000 on hers and it is the original motor. She is a hot shot driver. Serch how many miles on your 7.3 in search engine you will be surprised. I am glad we don't have a rust issue down here. My truck is rust free you might want to look for one down south to buy if possible. You will get more for your buck. I can find them in your price range with less than 200,000 miles. Usually in 150,000 mile range.

#20 ·
The truck I am loking at has spent its entire life in Texas, Florida and Louisianan. Did read the Carfax and only reported accident was a side swipe that was fixed at dealership. Front end replaced at dealership. front end steering rods, crossover bars, tie-rod ends (guaranteed for life), batteries and fuel gauge sending unit. I think this may be the one. Now just have to sell wife's Yukon first.

#22 ·
The 6.0 and 7.3 use 15 quarts for an oil and filter change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
It should be good on the rust issue being a southern truck like I said mine is clean. As long a it did not live right on the beach.

#24 ·
ok so things are taking a 180* turn. lol. Getting the wife a 07 SAAB convertible and now I am freer to choose the best rig i can for the money.

So without starting a riot, this is what i am looking for.

Best diesel engine in the 2000's (7.3, 6.0, ect...) and why you think it is the best.

seating for min. 5 to max 7 (2 older boys will be leaving the nest soon so realistically need seating for 5)

Towing capacity of at least 10k and looking to double tow starting in 2018 (camper, 25 to 30' and dry weight of 6 to 8k, the pulling boat weight of 4500#)

This truck will not be getting a lot of miles (est. 8 to 12k per year)

#25 ·
I recomend 99-03 7.3 powerstroke for overall reliability. Has good power and f250 and f350 will haul over 10,000 lbs the 4 door seats 6 comfortable with a huge back seat. Like i said before its hit and miss with the newer trucks with the 6.0 and 6.4 engine. There is alot of documented issues with those trucks that can cost alot of $$. Even if you bought a 7.3 with 350,000 miles i would still trust it. Weak leak is the transmissions so keep an eye on it or try to grab you one with a standard transmission.

#26 ·
Ok have it narrowed down to the truck I want, a 2002 Excursion 7.3l, 212,000 miles and a southern truck all its life. A minor sideswipe accident back in 2012 with no air bag deployment. Majority of services were performed at a Ford dealer. Asking $14999, I see KBB and NADA vary greatly in value. $8117 and $13350.

#27 ·
You will like the truck. Going through a dealer i payed 12,000 for mine it had some issues no accidents (reported... it has defiantly been in an accident when i looked over it more... oh well.) 180K miles. Try to talk the price down a little but if they wont budge i would still consider it a good deal price is probably more expensive on the excursion then a pickup is my guess.

Reactions: zell66
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.