My son heads out to Annapolis next week for Summer Seminar - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (55)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up My son heads out to Annapolis next week for Summer Seminar

I've never been more proud than today, my son received the letter Kingtuts son received last year, official candidate of the United States Naval Academy! He's just entering his senior year at high school and when he qualified for Naval Academy Summer Seminar for juniors, his application for the Academy was also accepted. He leaves next week for Annapolis and is chomping at the bit! He's a tall kid and pull ups were a problem but with training at the gym and home, he's up to 15 lightning fast Marine Corps pull ups and trust me, for someone tall, it's harder than you think.
Anywho...here he is on his last NJROTC inspection by our Area 7 Commander, CMDR. Hebert USN, he received "Outstanding" and a promotion. Commander Hebert also nicknamed him "Tinman" for his heart.
My son says he'll use that name for his call sign if he makes flight.

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats

Congrats on your son I sure hope his Naval career is all that he want's it to be. My oldest is in the Navy and had to go the other way to Officer. He graduated from University of Idaho last yr. and just finished his Masters in Mechanical Eng. Currently at goosecreek S.C. Keep us up to date with his progress and wish him ALL THE BEST from another proud Navy Dad.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Congrats on your son I sure hope his Naval career is all that he want's it to be. My oldest is in the Navy and had to go the other way to Officer. He graduated from University of Idaho last yr. and just finished his Masters in Mechanical Eng. Currently at goosecreek S.C. Keep us up to date with his progress and wish him ALL THE BEST from another proud Navy Dad.
Thanks Chuck, my son is also planning an engineering degree and working on his EIT while in the Navy.

Kudos to your son, he's on a great career path to say the least!

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 PM

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1
Congrat's John,keep us updated on his progress.

2005 F250 XLT wedgewood blue 4x4 C/C SWB,6.0L PSD, Auto.(Member of 05 STC Failure Club
) 2006 Expedition Eddie Bauer,5.4L (Wife's) NRA Life Member. TSRA Life member.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rob, I will.

John

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 PM

My Photos: (0)
Congrats, I remember the day I got my letter...

I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual.

Look, you got two choices. Engage me in a futile argument then do what I ask, or just do what I asked.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

BTW, where is shimonmor these days? We have questions for him.

John

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Congrats, I remember the day I got my letter...
Great to have another "Ring knocker" here to ask questions, are you still in the Navy?

John

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty John View Post
Great to have another "Ring knocker" here to ask questions, are you still in the Navy?
Actually no. I honestly made the ridiculous mistake of passing up going to the Academy to go to Medical School. Something I will regret for many years to come. My uncle went and his son did not go so he wanted me to. Took me up there, showed me around, got me hooked and I spent months writing all the letters and getting nominations and then got my letter about the same time I got my letter for Med School...

My mistake.... But I can still say I was accepted and that in itself was a feat for sure...

I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual.

Look, you got two choices. Engage me in a futile argument then do what I ask, or just do what I asked.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Quote:
I've never been more proud than today, my son received the letter Kingtuts son received last year, official candidate of the United States Naval Academy! He's just entering his senior year at high school and when he qualified for Naval Academy Summer Seminar for juniors, his application for the Academy was also accepted. He leaves next week for Annapolis and is chomping at the bit! He's a tall kid and pull ups were a problem but with training at the gym and home, he's up to 15 lightning fast Marine Corps pull ups and trust me, for someone tall, it's harder than you think.
Anywho...here he is on his last NJROTC inspection by our Area 7 Commander, CMDR. Hebert USN, he received "Outstanding" and a promotion. Commander Hebert also nicknamed him "Tinman" for his heart.

Too bad we will miss each other on this trip, but I am sure we can coordinate some joint trips when Jr. gets in. My kid is pumped doing 4.5 miles in around 7.5 minute intervals, treading water for 25 minutes, doing 75 pushups in 2 minutes, you get it. Yes I will admit it, at this point for the first time in my life he could probably whip my ass......unless I get a stick after him............
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Actually no. I honestly made the ridiculous mistake of passing up going to the Academy to go to Medical School. Something I will regret for many years to come. My uncle went and his son did not go so he wanted me to. Took me up there, showed me around, got me hooked and I spent months writing all the letters and getting nominations and then got my letter about the same time I got my letter for Med School...

My mistake.... But I can still say I was accepted and that in itself was a feat for sure...
I don't think qualifies as a "regret" lol

John

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGTUT View Post
Too bad we will miss each other on this trip, but I am sure we can coordinate some joint trips when Jr. gets in. My kid is pumped doing 4.5 miles in around 7.5 minute intervals, treading water for 25 minutes, doing 75 pushups in 2 minutes, you get it. Yes I will admit it, at this point for the first time in my life he could probably whip my ass......unless I get a stick after him............
I'm sure we meet up there one of these days.

John

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

BTW, does your school let you do this?
YouTube - USNA: Does your school let you do this?

John

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM

My Photos: (5)
Quote:

CONGRATS to both of you or I should say him, you and your wife since you are ones that made this achievement possible. As far as the C/S don't count on it ... it's done sometimes in the RAG and can be changed at his first operational squadron (our youngest's was) and is given to him not his choice ... after that it's fairly fixed in stone from then on out.

Larry

2001 PSD with lots of gauges and a few other mods.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM

My Photos: (19)
How are ya'll getting up there. We have a non-stop on Southwest into Baltimore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in