My son heads out to Annapolis next week for Summer Seminar - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a few friends who are Kings Pointer's and I think their experience on their "Cruises" is better than what the USNA guys get on summer cruises. The "Sea Semester" is a great experience by all accounts. And it's still free, like the other academies.

There are a few KP'ers here at NAS Kingsville both as students and instructors.

1999 F250 7.3/6-Spd 2WD SC SB 135,000 miles
DP Tuner F5, 40t 60t 80e DECEL
Dipricol Pyro/Trans Temp/Boost kit from ITP

Unrestricted Naval Aviator #26873
GMI Class of 2001 ME-Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (55)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper723 View Post
You can appeal DODMERB, if you can get a test from a normal opthamologist.

I can't pass color vision on the Ishira plates (the number/circle things) if I am dehydrated or tired. Depending on how well of a nights sleep he got and how hydrated he was that may factor in.

The Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test is another valid test, and I can pass that one all the time.

For what it's worth, my color vision is "good enough" and I am a Naval Aviator. Didn't go to Canoe-U though, I went to OCS via the BDCP program.

Also, if he wants to be in the Navy, he can be a Staff Corps officer such as Supply Corps even if he is colorblind, and go to OCS. The BDCP program is a good way to get in there, they pay active duty pay and allowances while you go to school and you go to OCS after graduation.

A good place to search around the site and see how to get around DODMERB problems is www.airwarriors.com. I'm one of the moderators over there, user name of MasterBates (hey, my CO picked my callsign, not me).
He did do a remedial (FALANT) at NASJAX last summer and failed the Farnsworth Lantern test. We have a slight glimmer of hope as he's received many (4) Letters of Recommendations from Naval and Marine Corps officers and there is that 2% waiver chance.

On another note, he just received a full four year scholarship to The Citadel last week and is very happy with that, his goal in life is to become a Military Officer and he just might get there.

John

2019 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab LWB DRW Tri-Color White
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM

My Photos: (0)
Congrats on the scholarship. I graduated USNA in 2001 and did a tour on a submarine. Now I'm on the engineering side but still in the Navy. I've loved it. The academy was much of what you made of it (like everything else in life). It's challenging and at times, frustrating, but I still think they produce the best naval officers (which is why I chose to go there after I spent some time as an enlisted). That difference disappears over time, however, such that by the end of your first sea tour, you won't be able to distinguish academy graduates from graduates of any other commissioning source.

I would think a lot of it would boil down to what he wants to do as an officer and he should then let that determine where he goes to college. If he wants to fly his best bet would be the Air Force academy or USNA. If he wants to do ships or submarines then Citadel or the Merchant Marine Academy would work. Some of my fellow graduates focused a lot of their attention in high school on the service school and not on the following military obligation. The military can be a great career if you find a job that you enjoy and find challenging.

Also nice about Citadel is the location. My favorite duty station so far has been Charleston. I just finished a 2.5 year tour at a Navy school there and I have a friend who is in currently in the Citadel, hoping to join the Marine Corps after graduation. The weather is phenomenal and while the city is pretty big, it doesn't have the traffic problems that big cities have. Plus, it would be closer for you to visit. Also, if he decided that service wasn't for him, he could drop the scholarship at the two year mark and still stay at the Citadel to finish his degree (no small accomplishment in that part of the South).

If he wants to talk more send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and email. I work long hours during the week but my weekends are free. And don't worry, the last thing I would try to convince anyone to do would be to join the submarine service...

2001 F-350 7.3l 4x4 cc manual 280k, coolant filtration system, added cruise control from eBay and dealer parts, Stancor gpr, Viton orings, Warn hubs, cryo Powerslot rotors with Hawk LTS pads, heavy duty alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in