R.I.P. 6.0 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy R.I.P. 6.0

I've been on this forum for nearly a year now, and I have to say goodbye to you all. Last Saturday, May 24th I took my kids into town to go see a movie at the mall and when we came outside, my PSD was gone. It was a great truck and I am deeply sadden that it is no longer with us. I am one of the many members on this site that took great pride in my truck and it was very well take care of. Unfortunately the area that I live in, unknowing to myself, is notorious for stealing any of the SD model trucks. The officer that arrived at the scene informed me that Ford SDs are the #1 stolen trucks and it only takes a person 45 seconds with a flat head screw driver to open the door and start it up. Aside from 3 car seats, I had 2 phones and an aftermarket stereo(just a receiver) inside the truck and I had just put 4 brand new tires on it. All I know is however took the truck, did not do it quietly because it was straight piped. So to my fellow PSD brethren on this forum, I want to say thank you for all your help and responses to my prior post. I will miss your words of knowledge and encouragement. Keep a close eye on your rides my friends, one minute they're there and the next minute they are gone. My advice is to invest in Low Jack or some kind of alarm system or even a well hidden gps tracker. I will carry this will me for the rest of my life.
-SteamRollin

'05 F250 Lariat 4x4 / Torque Pro / ARPs w/OEM HGs / Banks Ram-Air / Banks High-Ram Intake / Banks 4" Monster Exhaust(Muffler Delete) / Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler / Sinister Coolant Filter Kit / Pace Edwards electronic bedlocker / stock wheels & tires / LED bulb conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

That sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that. I walked out on some guys in a Home Depot parking lot trying to steal mine. I opened the locks and the clunk of the lock mechanism spooked them away. Probably best for both of us. I rarely go out without protection on me.

Hopefully it will turn up somewhere in salvageable condition. If I had to guess though, it's either on its way or already in Mexico.

Not that it helps your situation, but maybe future readers can learn from it....get some Jimmie Jammers. The locks are sooooo easy to punch on the 6.0L. The JJ's are a reinforced plate that goes behind the lock making it practically impossible to punch.

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 AM

My Photos: (2)
aren't the phones gps tracked?

2003 F350 crew cab 4x4 , 295's on 17's, performance MFG coolant filer, Blue spring, new HFCM, FICM, Batteries and Alt. SCT performance tune, 128k on engine 12/13. Stock everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM

R.I.P. 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhed View Post
aren't the phones gps tracked?

Depends on the phone, if the tracking is turned on in settings and if the phone is still with the thief/ truck

Sorry about your ride man.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Even the new ones take a second to punch the lock. Got mine broken into and they stole stuff out of it. Thankfully is has a chip key to start it, so they couldn't steal it.

And I have lojack, but only because the dealer did it. (I didn't even pay for it)

It does suck and wish you the best.

What are you going to get to replace it?

2011 F350 SRW 4x4, Lariat, LWB, Diesel, Nav., 5th Wheel and Camper Pkg.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Steamrollin, that the worst news I've heard in some years, I'm saddened for your loss. It's just a shame you didn't have an alarm in place, we sure hope some day you maybe able to renew this dream , with a new truck and do the same tricks to it.
This doesn't mean you have to say goodbye,you should keep on the forum and keep on learning as there is always hope you will have your new ride back someday.
Cheers and good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kind words, I have spent countless hours looking at other vehicles to replace my crowned jewel. I had know idea how easy it was to break into them or the rep they've had for being stolen. I've thought about going to a 7.3, like a '99-'00. I know one thing for sure, I won't go back to a Gasser. A buddy of mine has trying to convince me to find a PSD with a blown engine and do a Fummins swap to it. I haven't put any thought into it but I'm sure that's a tender subject on these forums. I'll keep you guys posted.
-Steam

'05 F250 Lariat 4x4 / Torque Pro / ARPs w/OEM HGs / Banks Ram-Air / Banks High-Ram Intake / Banks 4" Monster Exhaust(Muffler Delete) / Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler / Sinister Coolant Filter Kit / Pace Edwards electronic bedlocker / stock wheels & tires / LED bulb conversion
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 PM

No issue with a Cummins in a Ford IMO. You've got one of the best light diesels out there with a the best frame/body combination wrapped around it. Biggest issue it appears is if you are going Automatic, is trying to get the 5 speed from the 6.0L to function correctly connected to the Cummins.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Garage
Yeah I'd say go for the PSD with a Cummins swapped motor, and you have the best of both worlds, a great truck and an engine that is easier to work around, you've been hard done by so do yourself a favor and and start the search for the new truck.

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
No issue with a Cummins in a Ford IMO. You've got one of the best light diesels out there with a the best frame/body combination wrapped around it. Biggest issue it appears is if you are going Automatic, is trying to get the 5 speed from the 6.0L to function correctly connected to the Cummins.
The body's on the Ford SD are much more appealing than those Dodge has to offer IMO. The Ford interior consist of much greater quality. While the Dodge have their frontends go out quite frequently from what I've been told.
That buddy of mine was telling me that when you do an engine swap to the cummins, that you can just mate it with 48RE Dodge transmission. Its seems easier said than done though because you'd have to use the Dodge factorty ECM and PCM, along with the custom engine mounts and transfer case spacer. I guess if I found a SD with blown heads for sale at about $8k, then that might make the billfold capable of facilitating the funds needed for that type of venture. Any known issues I might run into? Or resources for this type of procedure? I've heard of destroked.com, but I dont see to many folks going this route. Probably a real head ache matching all these components match up.
-Steam

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Frankenstein issues aside, you end up with a highly specialized piece of equipment (custom) that very few people can or will work on.

Scott

SOLD -- 2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

2015 F350, 4x4, Platinum

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM

If you use everything including the trans, electronics, harnesses etc from the Dodge, I'm sure most Dodge dealers or med/heavy duty Cummins repair shops would look at it. The idea IMO, if you go this route is to be capable of handling most repairs yourself. Otherwise, I would keep it all original. If you do go with the Dodge trans, you should probably have it built first...because you went backwards in durability from the Ford trans.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
If you do go with the Dodge trans, you should probably have it built first...because you went backwards in durability from the Ford trans.
Thank you for mentioning that. I've been wondering how well the 48RE holds up to a PSD trans.
I just want durability and reliability now, which was not the case when I still had my '05. Now that's southern logic for you, "I want this 7.3 for reliability, but let's sup the ^&(( out of this 6.0!!!"
What advantages do the 7.3 have over the 6.0? ('99-'00)

Last edited by RDG; 06-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM

7-3 was a simpler engine with less emissions (namely no EGR system) which has been the root cause of many 6.0 issues. And BTW, 7.3's were used up until oct 2002 as an early 2003 model year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in