Stuck in sand at the beach! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stuck in sand at the beach!

Not me! I pulled a guy out who was buried to the door frames at the beach yesterday. Two others tried to pull him out with limited success, but then I hooked on with my F350 and pulled him out in reverse. There was quite a crowd watching, and a loud applause at the end. I felt great, he felt silly.

So this is the second time that I pulled out a stuck truck with my 350. Here on Long Island, we can air down our tires and drive/camp on the ocean beaches.

I was telling my wife I should get a set of stickers made, and each time I pull someone out, I put another sticker on my truck (like fighter jets after making a kill).

What should the sticker be? An anchor? A tow truck hook?

I could see this "fad" really taking off with the amount of beach 4 wheelers out here.

2001 F-350, 7.3L, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dually.
202,000 miles, and going strong.
4" Turbo Back MBPR Exhaust
S&B Cold Air Intake
DP-Tuner F5 Chip
6.0 Trans Cooler

It likes to pull a 44' 3" 2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420AMP Toy Hauler
ISSPRO 3 gauge (pyro, boost, trans) pillar install.
Located on Long Island, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Cool Cape Cod

Had a similar experience on Cape Cod this spring. A guy with a Jeep CJ tried to bring his boat/boat trailer down a very deep rutted access trail with regular boat trailer wheels and tires... he got stuck. A Jeep Wagoneer pulled in nose first and tried to pull them out in reverse... he got stuck. I hooked onto the wagoneer, pulled him out, disconnected the trailer and pulled the CJ out then connected the boat and trailer to my Super Duty. I dragged the trailer on it's axle all the way to the beach. There were no crowds to cheer but all the participants were very thankful. It is a pretty nice feeling!

Now that I think about it, we left before they did so I don't know how they got the trailer off the beach... oh well.

Regards... Jim D

'08 F250XLT Super Duty 4X4 Powerstroke
Intake, Tuning and Exhaust... Back to Banks!
Suspension/Drivetrain by WC Motorsports

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM

My Photos: (0)
make it an anchor. that could be the universal sticker for i snatched someone out.

H&S XRT Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 AM

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggyGales View Post
make it an anchor. that could be the universal sticker for i snatched someone out.
I don't know, people may think that's how many times you were married.

Shaun

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM

My Photos: (6)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
I don't know, people may think that's how many times you were married.

Regards... Jim D

'08 F250XLT Super Duty 4X4 Powerstroke
Intake, Tuning and Exhaust... Back to Banks!
Suspension/Drivetrain by WC Motorsports

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How about a life ring with the make in the middle?

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 PM

My Photos: (23)
Send a message via MSN to PowerstrokeConverters Send a message via Skype™ to PowerstrokeConverters
maybe a silhouete of a tow truck, well maybe not....what about the silhouete of a tow boom and the make of the vehicle rescued......or the initials T.A.R.=Tow and Rescue

F-350 7.3 PS ,4R100 Lariat Dually

4x2 LB 3.73 gears, 115k miles(better than new)
6" Fabtech lift w/ duall steering stabilizers
22.5 polished Freightliner wheels
Triple Clutch Triple Bearings Billet Low stall Converter.
V10 Tranny cooler + Trucool max cooler
Wicked Wheel-loud little sucker!
DieselStop Boost fooler
Full Turbo back 4'' exhaust,
Triple Autometer Phantom gauges on pillar,
Now using Superchips 80hp Performance tune.
Wastegate disconnected
2005 front clip.
Zoodad mod.
CFM+
CCV rerouted
S&B CAI
4'' Ported Housing non-ATS

IC pipe ceramic coated w/ foil delete
Inlet heater deleted.
3 tv's + Backup Cam,DVD,Nav.,Satelite Music.IPod
Jason smooth topper.
Big air compressor/tank
2 air horns w/ big valves
Quick connect Air hose for any air tool/tires
All work done at DieselTriple.Com-Miami,FL

Here but not installed:ATS 1.00 a/r, non-ebv pedestal and outlet,turbo master actuator,203 thermo.,billet thermo. inlet.

Pictures:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Be careful because pride goeth before the fall. Everyone gets stuck and has to ask for help to get out. So far I have only been stuck 3 times this year. Once in the snow in a 3500 Ram and was pulled out by our Excursion. Once in the mud in our Excursion and was pulled out by a rough terrain forklift and once in the mud in our bobcat and was pulled out by our backhoe.
I also encouraged our operator to drive his backhoe across a filled in reserve pit and he buried it. It did convince the company hand it was too wet to dig and we had to wait for 2 or 3 hours for one of our other backhoes to come and pull it out. It happens so often out here that it is not a big deal and all equipment has either a chain, strap or rope to pull out stuck vehicles. We have only pulled out 3 semis in the last week, so our average is going down.
Also I wouldn't pull stuck vehicles out in reverse as trucks are meant to pull going forward and if you have an auto it probably won't be happy pulling in reverse. That and you are taking all the weight off the rear end and putting a lot of stress on the front end. But it is your truck so do what you like.

94 F250 XL, 7.3 IDI, ZF5, 4X4
97 F350 XL, 7.3 PSD, ZF5, 4X4
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Now I bleed Ford blue however we Superduty owners best not crow too much. I pulled this beautiful black SD out with my Samurai:

The person taking the pic failed to take a pic of the two big holes that the back wheels of the SD left. He would probably never have got stuck had he aired down. LOL.

7.3 Power Stroke Diesel, 4R100, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Ford AIC, Motorcraft Air Induction System,
DP-Tuned, AIH Deleted, EBPV Deleted, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Timbren Overloads, Husky Mudflaps, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Autometer Gauges

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 PM

My Photos: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Water Runner View Post
He would probably never have got stuck had he aired down. LOL.
The SDs will go just fine with about 10psi in the front and about 7 psi in the back. Up in Silver Lake, MI, there are a few of the SDs and I know of at least one Chevy 2500 diesel that run the dunes regularly. Air pressure is key to driving in the soft sand.
Jim

2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod;
, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in
AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM

I know somwone who could've used you guys in Puerto Lobos, Mexico. Left the truck out too long at low tide, then buried it in a panic as the water was lapping at the axles. The tide comes in fast on the Sea of Cortez, and it can be as much as 30 feet at times. Needless to say the truck dissapeared in short order. At least it was just a gasser.

Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 170K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM

My Photos: (1)
Your trans. is not made to pull in reverse. You might hurt it. Something to do with the drive ratio? I would use low forward gear. Tim

2000 Excursion, 2WD, Estate Green Metallic Paint, all stock 136,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in