The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my truck at a buddy's house, went to fire it up 3 hours later, all it did was crank. No wait to start, no power to fuel pump. Checked fuses, replaced, unplugged fuel heater, checked relays. I had just replaced ips sensor that morning. I'm about to replace cam sensor, as I have been through 3 in a year. I've traced and inspected wires, even hotwired fuel pump, no start. Bypassed inertia switch as well. Exhausted

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
If you don't get a WTS, that means the PCM isn't getting power. If you've checked the fuse feeding the fuel heater and it's good, swapped the Heater Relay to the PCM relay spot, then it might be a bad ignition switch.
There are 4 separate circuits in it, and one that powers up the PCM may have gone bad. You could try some percussive maintenance on the switch body just behind the dash under the steering column.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Until you get the WTS light and other warning lights I wouldn't worry about the CPS.

You have a voltage problem going to the PCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a thought of it maybe having something to do with the switch. I'll check that out next and hold off on crank sensor for now, thanks a bunch fellas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyway to tell if your pcm is fried? I purchased a chip weeks ago for hauling/towing purposes but have yet to install it, as far as I know it's not been chipped before.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
The easiest way is to look for the warning lights when you first turn the key on. If nothing there I would then check the fuses again and with a meter to make sure that they are good, I believe that the #30 fuse is the one for the fuel heater which controls the PCM relay.

I'm not too up on 99+ years of trucks so we'll have to wait for someone who owns one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked fuses again, and found there is no power on fuse for fuel heater and pcm. Does this mean I have a short somewhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the problem finally. Power steering line was routed over the harness for 42 pin connector, it had rubbed the insulation to bare copper on 3 wires. 😥 thought I was gonna have to dump for a new pcm there for a min. Thanks to those who took time to answer my questions .

·
Super Moderator
25,880 Posts
Thanks for closing the loop on this.
Glad you got it fixed up. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts