The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oportunity to pick up an 01 4 door 4x4 with the 7.3l turbo Diesel. The truck has 260,000 miles. The Trans mission was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago, new turbo, and the front end was rebuilt last week. The interior is remarkably clean. The body is straight and paint id good as well. I am not looking for a daily driver. I am looking for a truck to pull my camper with. Is ther any advise or direction you can give? Thanks in advance ofr your assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
you can always ask if the owner as any record of maintenance. at what interval did he change the fuel filter? any mods on the truck (intake, exhaust, chip, gauges, ...). behind the parking brake pedal, there is a black box (PCM) look for a hole in the plastic, this will be a good indication of a chip got install.

look like that truck been well taken care of

·
Registered
898 Posts
If the price is right and you think it has been well maintained. Jump on it I would.

Reactions: NOSPARKPLUGZ

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with the other folks, check it out beforehand. If you can find a 7.3L owner, let them drive and check it out. I have an 02, the things that have been my largest jobs financially and or labor in order of cost thus far are, injector cups. If this truck has a new overflow container find out why. Check coolant for diesel or oil. Up pipes tend to leak after a while. Check firewall for soot stains, or check for newer up pipes. Ask about fuel tank mods, the in tank pick ups can break. An easy fix, but non the less. Turbo was replaced, that's good. Check the valley for oil leaks. HPOP oil pipes may need replacing, passenger side fuel line in valley can leak. Most are not difficult repairs, but its good to know what you're getting and what may be good PM.

By the way my 02 has 202K on the clock.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
If you can find a 7.3L owner, let them drive and check it out.
There are some great suggestions in this thread and this is one of the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts