The Diesel Stop banner

01 Fuel problem

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jimmies 
#1 ·
OK,
My 01 runs out of fuel at the 1/4 tank mark. Pretty sure my pickup foot is off. Been that way for 3 yrs.
So today....

I starred to sputter and was able to get to the station. Filled up the tank all the way. Drove for an hour to work and I never got the air bubbles out, infact the truck kept getting worse. So i grabbed a fuel filter thinking I picked up some junk from the tank, Drained the bowl swapped filters, and now NOTHING.

Fuel pump has power, makes no sound (Can our pumps "vapor lock" ? And if it did should the pump still spin?), no flow to the fuel bowl.

Could I have fried my pump? I have no clue were to start, any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Griff

#2 ·
You may have a bad pump. You may have lost prime to the pump...I've only read of it once but it can happen apparently. What one fellow did was to use a compressor and stuck the hose into the fuel filler nozzle with a rag stuffed around it to help seal it off and he pressurized the tank a bit to get some of the fuel back up to the pump. I've never done this..just repeating what I read once.

#3 ·
Griff,

first you check if you have power at the pump.
If you do, then detach the hose on the suction side of the pump (from tank) and attach a length of fuel line. This fuel line, you put into a container of good, clean fuel.
You give it another try.
If it runs, and everything is fine, Your tank pick-up has gone south. You will find every bad word that is know to mankind and invent some new ones. I did when this happened to me with a full tank.
If it does not change anything, than most likely your pump has gone south.
It also could be a clocked up fuel line, but the chances are it is the pump.

Hope this helps you to start pin-pointing.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes I have power at the terminals on the pump.

I tried the compressed air with no luck. Cant get any fuel to the bowl.

Will pull the hose off and check.
Could I blow a little air to the line from the tank, to blow anything out that might be in the line? Thanks

#5 ·
I only would do this as a last resort. First check if the pump is good and if you get fuel form the pump to the bowl. If you blow into the tank and the fuel pick-up is dirty (there is a filter screen), this might clog it and cause more damage than good.

#6 ·
I was coming back from Tennesee thru alabama, stoped for fuel and ran about 12 miles and truck lost power and missed bad. Thought I picked up bad fuel, so I stoped and changed filter. Ran codes and one was cam position error, so I changed the CPS and checked the turbo wheel. Ended having to get towed with my fifth wheel and electriglide on my swivel wheel trailer. Got the truck towed to aFord dealer and $725 dollars later if had a new fuel pump and all was well except for my wallet. 2001 model with just under 80K.

#7 ·
I had some similar fuel issues with my truck in the past. Mine turned out to be clogged in tank fuel filters. They were horrible. I think the picture attached. If it did you should be able to see thru these filters.

#9 ·
Nice filters bbuck.

Update:

Well Got the new pump in tonight. Got great flow through the bowl and out the drain line (guessing my filter in the tank is ok the way it flowed). Purged the fuel bowl, and she fired up in about 2 seconds!:thumbsup:

Road report tomorrow.

ALSO just a note I picked up the bosh bulk pack pump from ebay for 99, sure beat the 425 ford cost for the same factory pump.

#11 · (Edited)
Little bit of slime lotta bit of dirt. I used to run unfiltered sump jet fuel in my truck. After thousands of miles it plugged them up pretty well. But it saved me thousands of dollars.... worth dropping the tank to clean them out to me.

#13 ·
So
OK,
My 01 runs out of fuel at the 1/4 tank mark. Pretty sure my pickup foot is off. Been that way for 3 yrs.
So today....

I starred to sputter and was able to get to the station. Filled up the tank all the way. Drove for an hour to work and I never got the air bubbles out, infact the truck kept getting worse. So i grabbed a fuel filter thinking I picked up some junk from the tank, Drained the bowl swapped filters, and now NOTHING.

Fuel pump has power, makes no sound (Can our pumps "vapor lock" ? And if it did should the pump still spin?), no flow to the fuel bowl.

Could I have fried my pump? I have no clue were to start, any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Griff
u like you need to drop the tank you will find the problem there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.