The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes are dragging. It gets worse the more I try to use them. I replaced calipers, pads and rotors.all the way around, I realized all the fluid was gone and found a broken line to the rear. I bled all the way around and it still does it. I'm at a loss. It was my daily but its been sitting a lot for the last year. I don't know if it sat with no fluid because it didn't feel like a line broke prior to me not driving it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Could possibly be the master. Could be a collapsed rubber line. Could be stuck slide pins. Could be emergency brake.
Find which one is dragging.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Good advice above.
Time to raise it up and find which wheel is dragging. Or wheels.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I replaced calipers, pads and rotors.all the way around, I realized all the fluid was gone and found a broken line to the rear. I bled all the way around and it still does it.
I would suggest a moderator move this to the correct category

Welcome to the forum Gheavens,
Just a few thoughts- if “all” the fluid was gone you might try getting a helper and bleed any air at the master cylinder first, then re-bleed the calipers, right rear, left rear, right front, left front, in that order.
Did you buy loaded calipers and check that the slides pins and bracket worked freely? I actually had a brand new loaded caliper from NAPA that I had to remove the pins, degrease, and ream, because it was in a bind (though it could have been returned under warranty- but the fix worked great).
Are the rubber flex lines to the calipers original? Could be if they’re soft they could be sucking in, closing off the return of brake fluid.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sorry i thought i wrote that it was all 4 dragging . I replaced all calipers, no change. I can't imagine 1 line collapsing and causing all 4 to drag. The truck had sat for a couple of months before it had started and i believe the original problem was the broken brake line and assumed it was calipers from sitting. I never even checked the fluid before I did all the calipers. I did bleed and re bleed though not the master. I never have so I need to learn how to do that, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
All four dragging?

Interesting.

Dragging would be a failure to release pressure?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I never have so I need to learn how to do that, lol.
That may not be the issue— but bleeding the MC is very easy. Remove reservoir lid. You will need to make up some short brake lines to go from the ports (2), up and into their respective reservoirs making sure the open end of the lines are below the brake fluid level. Slowly..... press brake pedal and let up- repeating - it’s a short closed loop now- so any air in the MC is released into brake fluid and only draws fluid back in when brake pedal is released. You’ll need a helper as the MC is in the vehicle and not on a bench as with a new installation. When you see fluid being pushed into the reservoirs from the brake pedal being pressed and no more air bubbles you’ve got it. There’s some good YouTube videos that will demonstrate.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
All four dragging?

Interesting.

Dragging would be a failure to release pressure?
Have heard of very rare instances of a bad hydrobooster applying brakes.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
Have heard of very rare instances of a bad hydrobooster applying brakes.
Or adjustment of the pushrod between the hydroboost and master cylinder. Check for that by loosening the bolts holding the master to the hydroboost. I believe that corrosion in that space can also hold the master in the applied position and not releasing pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts