The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I leave my truck sit for a day it will start fine and idle. After about 100ft of driving it will not respond to the pedal. I pump the hell out of it, it struggles to stay running, then dies. If I crank on it for about 20 or so seconds a few times the starter seems to wind up faster and the truck will sort of "cough" and then the truck drives fine. Check 3ngine light comes on while it is happening. New fuel filter. Where do I start? Just burned through another glow plug relay. It only lasted a year or less. I think it had been starting all summer without it working.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
The pedal is electronic and has an Idle Validation Switch and a Potentiometer in it for throttle control. I would first make sure that the pedal is clear of dust and dirt by blowing it off with compressed air. That would give you no control of the RPM's if it is failing, but not the dying part.

Without having data from the truck, it is hard to diagnose exactly what is going on, but it sounds like your IPR is not following the commanded input. If the PCM is commanding the IPR to open and close (Duty Cycle) and the IPR is not working properly, you can have issues like you describe. You can check the connector and the tin nut on the IPR, but more than likely you will need to replace it. You can take it apart and try that, but if the solenoid is weak, you need to replace it anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts