The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
So I bought a project truck, got it home and tore into the injectors, replaced them with known good ones. Changed o rings, re sealed the HPOP, along with the fuel bowl. Also put new update oil lines on the HPOP and crossover.
I am in the process of getting the truck started, but I don’t have everything back together. So here my question....can the truck start without the inter cooler pipes and valve covers off? I want to start it before I put it all back together just in case something happens. I’d hate to put it all back together and have to take it all back off. Also, what is the proper procedure for bleeding air out of the lines and HPOP to start it easier?
Thanks for any input!
Trent

·
Premium Member
14,943 Posts
Yes you can run it with the covers off and pipes off. Best practice is to leave the glow plugs out. Rotate the engine with a wrench two full rotations. Then with towels or valve covers laid in place, bump the starter a few times. Then crank for a few seconds. Now the important part. Hook the injector wires and the 42 pin connector up. Crank on it (glow plugs still out) until you hear the HPOP load up. Now install the glow plugs. It should fire right up. If you don’t do that, you’ll be cranking until you burn your batteries up trying to get enough air out of the oil rails to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
This forum has an excellent search feature, learning to use it will allow one to have a virtual library of how to information. The question you asked is asked and answered several times a week on the forum. Basically I would advise anyone to know the procedure (s) before doing all that work. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts