The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in laws 02 f350 blew a radiator hose and went to overheating as he pulled off to the side of the road. As fate would have it service in my area was down today... I never saw the coolant but he says it was milky. As in there was diesel in it. Could it overheating have maybe warped a cup? of was this probably an ongoing thing that went unnoticed until now?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
i'm not a expert but I know the injector cup can crack and allow the fuel, oil and coolant to get mix.

might be a H/G that failed too.

someone with better knowledge will probably jump in and help/correct me.

will follows this thread crossly

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Very unlikely a head gasket issue. I would replace the hose and fill it with water. Run it until it comes to temp and then sample the fluid in the degas tank. You will be able to see and smell diesel. It will float so you should see it shimmering on top.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its diesel ontop of the degass bottle.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Time to replace the injector cups. Riffraff will rent the tool. You MUST clean the bores to absolute perfection. That requires a lot of scraping and brake clean to get the old Loctite off. I use a boroscope to verify the rear holes are spotless before installing the new cups.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like I am going to leave this job to a professional then. I don't have the time for a job like this. I didn't know heat could crack the cups like that. I figured brass was to soft for that kind of failure.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
I don't think it's the heat that does it. Probably vibration and combustion forces.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It is the two metals expanding at different rates that cause the crack. Just did my truck a year ago replaced all 8 cups and injector o rings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He has since blew the upper hose twice since he had the cups on the driver side replaced. he replaced the hoses and put worm gears on and still blew the upper hose once more. The radiator was recently replaced with one from oreillys. It doesn't have the ridge to hold the hose like the factory unit or the replacement I got for my 350. Keep an eye out for the small stuff like that.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
He has since blew the upper hose twice since he had the cups on the driver side replaced. he replaced the hoses and put worm gears on and still blew the upper hose once more. The radiator was recently replaced with one from oreillys. It doesn't have the ridge to hold the hose like the factory unit or the replacement I got for my 350. Keep an eye out for the small stuff like that.
Probably needs to do a pressure check on the cooling system and cap. Maybe the radiator nozzles without the ridge is the problem, but it could also be combustion gasses getting into the cooling system. I believe there's a test strip for checking that.

If he doesn't find any evidence of combustion gasses in the cooling system, and the cap tests good, then I'd install the hoses with a good gasket sealer on the nozzles. I've used the red sticky Permatex (High Tack) that you brush on with good results.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so 3 blown hoses later... I think you are right. We should check for a head gasket issue. the cooling system has been completely replaced now. the clutch fan failed yesterday and was replaced. and it was running hot on the 2 hour drive back home pulling a 20 foot goosneck that had a few hundred pounds on it. It had a new cap on it and a new thermostat. the water pump was replaced a thousand miles ago. I put a new radiator coolant tank/cap and thermostat with new coolant last night. let it idle for about an hour then drove it for a few miles. It didn't seem to overheat. I guess we will see what happens. This has been an headache since the radiator was originally replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts