The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my hub bearing less than 20,000 miles ago with a timken, it sounds like the inner bearing is bad again, I have heard that it's possible to replace just the inner bearing does anyone know if that is true and if it is how do I spec the correct bearing for the hub and and the axle shaft?

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Yes you can, They have them at NAPA. Do a search and someone should have posted the part number.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
14,518 Posts
Front or rear? If front, did you use the Moog hubs that allow bearing replacement? If rear, Single wheels or a dually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
If you're talking about the spindle bearing that the axle stub shaft rides in on the front hubs, the bearing number is B2110. I haven't seen a hub that didn't allow replacing that needle bearing. Just drive the old one out and press in a new one.

·
Premium Member
14,518 Posts
I was thinking he might have one fo the "Free-Spin" type conversions that allowed for serviceable bearings.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
I was thinking he might have one fo the "Free-Spin" type conversions that allowed for serviceable bearings.
No worries. "Inner bearing" could mean a number of things.
I don't know personally of anyone who's gone that expensive "Free-Spin" route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced my hub bearing less than 20,000 miles ago with a timken, it sounds like the inner bearing is bad again, I have heard that it's possible to replace just the inner bearing does anyone know if that is true and if it is how do I spec the correct bearing for the hub and and the axle shaft?

·
Premium Member
14,518 Posts
Did you just quote yourself? OK - so, we'll try again. If you are talking about the inner bearing of the stock type hub itself, then no it isn't replaceable. It is a sealed unit bearing design. It is pressed together and sold as a package. The needle bearing for the shaft is replaceable, although this isn't technically the "inner bearing of the hub". My last two Timken bearings have come proudly marked "Made in China" which is greatly disappointing to me. I'm not sure where I'm going from here - maybe MOOG or Koyo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s the needle bearing that rides on the axel shaft that I want to replace, I had a shop tell me I had to replace the whole hub assembly in order to replace that bearing. Is it common for those needle bearings to go out after 20000 miles? Should I be looking into something that is causing the bearing to go bad?

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
That needle bearing is indeed replaceable. That shop is ill-informed.
A lack of lube can cause problems. Yours may just be one of those "infant failures."
Or water intrusion. Once you take the hub assembly off, be sure the big seal on the stub shaft is in good shape, or just replace it. Also the o-ring on the hub where it fits in the knuckle, and the o-ring on the locking hub.
Again, the B2110 is the bearing you want.

·
Premium Member
14,518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
"You guys scare the hell out of me!"

Classic line. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts