The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm convinced that I need to go to a coil spring front end for turning radius and ride comfort, but what about the rear axle?
Is there any benefit to taking the rear springs from a '05~07 or newer truck?
What about air bags?
Velvet shackles?
I'm looking for on road handling without sacrificing towing/load ratings. I want no lift or very little lift. I drive this truck fast on highway.
Thanks for any advice/comments.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
How old are your shocks?

What is your tire inflation?

What exactly do you not like about the ride?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning radius is a big deal for me. I've got the go-ahead from the wife for making changes to address this. She has to drive it too. Everything I've read indicates that the coil springs give a superior ride.
I want to get it dialed in and then not have to deal with it again for a long time.
Shocks are new Bilstein 5100s.
Tires are 70/80max front 65/80max rear (unloaded).

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Turning radius is a big deal for me. I've got the go-ahead from the wife for making changes to address this. She has to drive it too. Everything I've read indicates that the coil springs give a superior ride.
I want to get it dialed in and then not have to deal with it again for a long time.
Shocks are new Bilstein 5100s.
Tires are 70/80max front 65/80max rear (unloaded).
Well turning radius won't be affected by this observation but you are running pretty high PSI for unloaded...but this would only affect ride comfort.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I agree with arctic your tire pressure is way too high in the rear. Drop it down to 50 lbs when unloaded the ride should get a lot better. I took the blocks off the rear axle on my F350 DRW and added air bags. Dropped the lowered tailgate hight by 5 inches truck now sits level. I adjust the airbags to load. Side benefit is the headlights are always correct no matter what load. Depending on tire width you may be able to grind the stops on the knuckles and get a bit more before the tire rubs the front spring.
DENNY

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll play around with the air pressure, thanks.
I have already eliminated the blocks, but have not gone to airbags yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts