The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is going to be a long read so I can give as much info as I can remember. Tried starting my 7.3 diesel and when I released the key the starter kept cranking until batteries were depleted. Pulled batteries, checked and charged. Installed batteries. As soon as I hooked up POS post on driverside battery, starter started cranking. Disconnected and starter stopped. Reconnected and nothing. Pulled starter relay and turned key no crank. Plugged relay in turned key and starter cranked. Let go of key and kept cranking. Turned key to off and kept cranking. Pulled starter relay, kept cranking. Jumped out and disconnected POS on driverside battery. Cranking stopped. Pulled down fuse panel to check for GEM moisture. GEM is not there. GEM is located below radio on firewall. Visual check after 15 min of hose on windshield. No leaks. While Driver side POS TERMINAL off I noticed Passenger side battery was venting off steam. Disconnected and it stopped venting. Pulled starter and primary alternator and had tested. Starter tested OK. Alternator tested bad NO CHARGE. Replaced alternator and reinstalled starter. Replaced the ignition slide switch. Hooked up both batteries after recharged and load tested OK. Turned key and observed normal gauge sweep, normal dash light, fuel pump pumping gauge reads 60psi, air pump pumping, normal growl, turned to start and starter cranked. Released key and starter kept cranking. Pulled starter relay and kept cranking. Had to pull POS off driver side to stop starter. I noticed that the starter cranked faster when key position was in off position just for a moment. HELP it's so cold here my upper body parts could cut glass and I am working outside because truck is too high for garage.

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
Sounds like the starter itself

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
If you pulled the relay and it kept cranking the starter or the solenoid on the starter is sticking on.

Then as you work on it the part that is sticking releases until it sticks in the starting position again.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger that...I will head into town first thing in the morning since reindeer couldn't get me there before they close and pick up a starter. Will pull the batteries and bench charge them and report back after starter is replaced. Thanks Bugman
Sent from 2 inches from my woodburning stove ;)

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
Just so you know what I'm thinking, there is a heavy cable going to the starter from the batteries. This cable has 12 volts on it all the time.

Then there is the wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay. When you turn the key to start this activates the relay which sends voltage down to the starter solenoid which in turn applies the voltage and heavy currant to spin the starter.

So once you eliminated the starter relay up on top you eliminated everything except for the starter solenoid on the starter or the starter itself.

Reactions: Greg687 and jleedog

· Registered
1 Posts
Check the atarter solenoid in the engine compartment on the passenger side quarter panel. The starter solenoid may have a internal short. A bad solenoid will continue cranking the starter after you release the ignition key.

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
Except that an 02 doesn’t have a starter solenoid at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
36 Posts
Agreed. The heavy copper bus inside that gets slammed across the contacts on start is now welded to the contacts, possibly aggravated by the return spring being broken.

Since the starter motor is working fine, maybe there's a starter solenoid rebuild kit available? Dunno, many may advise to just replace the whole unit (motor + solenoid).

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Except that an 02 doesn’t have a starter solenoid at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Bugman, good call on the intermittent solenoid failure. Although the starter bench tested okay, and functioned as designed. It actually was a failure. Replaced the starter. Charged up the batteries, turned the key and buhbam she came to life. Thank you for your expert advice and knowledge.

· Super Moderator
9,119 Posts
Thank for letting us know what you found

1 - 12 of 12 Posts