The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new-to-me 6.0 Powerstroke is running warm - especially on the highway.

~20k miles ago the following work was done:
Sinister head gaskets
Heads machined
EGR delete
ARP studs
FICM repair
Oil cooler replacement
New Ford HPOP

Now I get high oil temps on the highway 215 ECT/245 EOT and I suspect the oil cooler is clogged again. I did the flush with restore - the existing coolant was very clean though. I replaced with ELC. I wired a switch to the fan clutch and can keep those both about 7* cooler with the fan clutch going full bore.

Is the high oil temp causing my high coolant temp or do I have a radiator/water pump issue?

Temps at idle and in town cruise are ok, ECT might be a bit warmer than it should be, ~207F. Granted, it is hot down here in Texas and AC is always on full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That EOT is 30 degrees above ECT, which suggests the oil cooler is not doing it's job. A properly working oil cooler should keep EOT within 15 degrees, maybe 20 max momentarily.

Was a Ford / Motorcraft oil cooler used, or did they use a Dorfman?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you flush the cooling system before or after the oil cooler replacement. And what brand oil cooler was put it. The deltas you posted are too high. If you want to avoid future problems the BPD air to oil cooler is a great upgrade. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
That kit costs as much as I paid for my truck. :lol:
Their stuff isn't cheap, but it's very high quality made in America and quite a bit cheaper than a new engine. The one I put in my old 6.4 was less than paying someone to replace my OE cooler. Changing the OE cooler is a lot harder to do in a 6.4 without pulling the cab and I still don't have my lift, (it's coming in July)
You can put in another OE cooler but I would do a good flush of the cooling system first with either Restore or cascade liquid, then tap water then distilled then new cooler and finally Cat EC-1.
The reason I mentioned BPD is cause it's a "one and done" you'll never have to worry about your oil cooler again. It's always nice to have one less thing to worry about with your 6.0:lol:
Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts