The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story: We bought this used with 230,000 or 240,000 miles and we have had it for coming up on 4 years. It is the family vehicle as we have 3 kids and another on the way. Recently it has hit 300,000 miles and we have just had to do maintenance work to it as it is almost 20 years old. It’s a work horse and we have pulled many trailers with materials and vehicles for my husbands business and been on many family trips.

Current issue: A couple weeks ago it started to have problems shifting from first to second. By the time I got home from a 35 minute drive from class the OD light was flashing. I had to let off the gas then get back on to get it to shift to second and it was ok. We replaced both VSS on the transmission and the rear drive shaft and it is still doing the same thing, only now you have to start off in 2 then shift to drive and sometimes that doesn’t even work. We are at a loss on where to go from here. Some suggestions would be great. She is so loved by us and the kids and it is heartbreaking to think our time with her might be coming to an end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Computer Font Personal computer Gadget Technology

here is a picture of the codes that were read about a week ago, and wealso had an ABS code for the EHCU that we did not take a picture of.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
I'm afraid that the intermediate clutch has failed. You can probably drive it for a while by manually shifting 1-2, but that is not going to work long term. The trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you don’t t
I'm afraid that the intermediate clutch has failed. You can probably drive it for a while by manually shifting 1-2, but that is not going to work long term. The trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
So you don’t think it’s actually the PCM?
Basically we need to get a new trans or get it rebuilt which is probably around the same price as a PCM?

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
I don't see anything pointing at the PCM. Why do you think it might be the problem?

A PCM is far cheaper than a rebuilt transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see anything pointing at the PCM. Why do you think it might be the problem?

A PCM is far cheaper than a rebuilt transmission.
I shared a picture of the codes it was throwing in the comments above, and it was saying PCM among other things.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with the PCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts