The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 6.0l f250 I use to tow a 7500# 5th wheel to a local ski resort. First trip up the hill this winter I noticed the truck loosing power pulling the longer steeper grades. Short steep or gradual grades and flat it is fine. Not towing I can't duplicate this issue. Pedal to the floor makes it worse. If I let off for a second it seems to help but it's short lived quickly dropping off. I replaced fuel filters and air filter. Helped a little. Took it to a local shop, had work done by them in the past and had good service. They did a contribution test. #5 cylinder was negative. Replaced that injector. Still lacking power. Don't want to keep throwing money. Any help or knowledge of similar issues, I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Check compression

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check fuel lift pump volume and pressure. Check turbo boost. Fuel and air are what gives and engine power and one of them is lacking.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Since you only have one fuel pump, it's pressure is important. Installing a fuel pressure gauge at the secondary fuel filter test port is a VERY good idea. You can see how fast the secondary fuel filter bowl fills w/ the key on. Should be in 4-5 seconds from empty.

The High pressure oil pressure is very important to get fuel to the injectors. So is the FICM performance.

Check ICP psig, ICP volts, ICP desired, IPR % duty cycle, FICM MPower (volts), FICM VPower, and FICM LPower. Check these when cranking (engine already warmed up), when accelerating, and at highway speeds when just cruising.

Post the data.

If you don't have a scan tool, then you need to get one. I recommend downloading ForScan Lite to a smartphone or the full version to a laptop. An ELM327 OBDII adapter is required. WiFi if you have an i-phone and BlueTooth for Android. The BAFX brand is very reliable. ForScan is a VERY good code reader. Total cost is $40-$45.

Guessing will cost you hundreds .... (maybe even more).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts