The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2004, 6.0, just put a new starter on the truck. Worked good for a couple of days but then just quit engaging when the truck gets to operating temp. When truck cools down, engages fine and truck starts.
I have cleaned battery terminals.
I have checked batteries to be good.
I have tapped on starter.
I have checked for loose bolts.
I have swapped and replaced relay.
Tried it in neutral. Tried wiggling gear shifter

Today after driving home, He turned truck off, we got ready to start replacing glow plugs and truck wouldn’t start back but starter would spin but not engage. Tried several of the above and nothing. So we started glow plug swap out in the driveway instead of garage. Finished a couple hours later(with many learning breaks in between). Tried to start truck when we were done and started right up.
Any suggestions? I am at a loss.

btw, I am a new member, first 6.0, and first time ever having a problem like this with any diesel.
Also, working on diagnosing the long crank time to start/build oil pressure. Waiting on scanner before diving into that problem.
I am thinking these can’t be related, but stumped right now.
tomorrow we are tracking down the battery cables and maybe changing the ends.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
25,356 Posts
I had one that did that. Take it back. If you really want to mess with it, you might try dousing the solenoid and linkage with WD40 on the assumption that it's hanging up. But I'd just return it for another.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
only problem with returning, is the parts store is closed because of the COVID 19. So going to try to WD.

thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts