The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2004 F350 King Ranch, drove it for a few days with no problems and went to start it up one day and it was deader than a door nail. I jumped it and noticed the drivers side seat warmer (which doesn't heat the seats) was left on once it was running. I drove it around for 10 minutes or so and parked it, went to restart it and it cranked for a second and died.

After that I couldn't get it to start via jumping it, so I took the batteries to AutoZone where one was found good and the other was bad (pass. side). I got one new battery as they were only purchased in 12/21. And installed, all good to go.

I was at work a couple days later and my wife tells me that it is dead again. I get home from work the next morning and try to jump it, with no luck. So we went out and get a battery charger and after about 10 minutes on the charger it fires up and runs just fine. I check the battery % indicator on the charger and it shows 95%. It does look like there was the drivers side dome light left on after starting it up. I let it run for approx. 5 minutes and shut it off. It does the same thing; turns over for just a second and drains to just clicking and then just clicks but wont turn over after that.

Also, the battery charger does have an alternator % gauge and it shows as "Lo". Soooo... I figure ok well ill pull the alternator to take it and see if it is bad. Take it and have it tested, shows its good.

So... now what?

·
Registered
897 Posts
First you have to replace both batteries. A dead battery will kill a good battery and replacing one will cause the old one to destroy the new one. You have to have 2 new batteries. Next the alternator may test good but I have found a bad battery will eat a good alternator. I keep a close eyes on my batteries. At the first sign of corrosion I replace them both even if the other one looks good.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Also, make sure all the battery connections and ground points are solid and free of corrosion.

Reactions: Stroking it
1 - 3 of 3 Posts