The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 F350 DRW 6.0 249,000k: started to shutdown as if ignition is being switched off, however that is not the case. While sitting at stop idling, had been out running around 2-2.5 hours, stalled, no rough idle, no sputter, just off as if key was turned to shut down truck??? Started back up normally, 1/4 mile +/- down again, happened 3 more times over next 1.5 miles to house. Since then I have started truck up at house, will run 3-15 minutes and then down. Running and idling as normal, just cuts off?? No CEL. have Scan Gauge II hooked up no codes (?): IPR from 35 -25% from cold start / ICP 1250-785 from cold start : fuel pres. 55-65psi; FICM 47.5-48; bat. 13.5-14 volts while idling. History: original owner; 04.5 build; EGR cooler deleted @75k; Blue spring done @120k; FICM repaired @150K;all injectors and oil cooler replaced @220k; Amsoil bypass oil filter installed @75k; coolant filter installed @ 35K; turbo replaced with stock Garrett @ 240k; glow plugs and harness replaced @190k: dummy plugs updated @220K; turbo oil return updated with turbo @ 240k: ICP and EBP senors replaced w/ new pigtails @???: batterys 1.5 yrs in truck; oil just changed 2 weeks ago; coolant between min/max . Any possibility there is a circuit issue with the instrument cluster ? My 06 F250 was doing weird things and turned out that specific circuits go through cluster. At any rate at a complete loss for ideas, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The scangauge is a poor code reader. The ForScan App (can download to a smartphone) is a MUCH better code reader. You do need an OBDII adapter for it to connect to the PCM though. Total cost is around $40.

Were you turning when it shut down, or hitting any significant bumps?

The IPR valve has been known to have electrical issues that can cause this, and so has poor connections /wiring to the FICM, ICP, and even EBP.

Maybe a good code reader can help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scangauge is a poor code reader. The ForScan App (can download to a smartphone) is a MUCH better code reader. You do need an OBDII adapter for it to connect to the PCM though. Total cost is around $40.

Were you turning when it shut down, or hitting any significant bumps?

The IPR valve has been known to have electrical issues that can cause this, and so has poor connections at the FICM, ICP, and even EBP.

Maybe a good code reader can help.
Initially I was in line at bank drive up, idling. Then after leaving heading home 1.5 miles it occurred while nursing it home, no extreme road issues. Yeah Scan gauge is a poor tool other then gauge peremeters.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
2004 Power Strokes had fuel injector harness issues that would internally short and abruptly shut the engine down like flicking a switch - totally at random. It was caused by the harness laying on top of the intake manifold bolts. This concern will leave no codes. So you could check for this by using a screwdriver or wooden dowel to gently push down on the harness particularly on the drivers side of he manifold near the FICM. It's worth a shot.

While there was a recall that modified the harness many were still an issue and I suspect many were never corrected even to this day. The best repair is to replace the harness outright and I don't recall them being very pricey. Here is a little more detail on the subject:

https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/dtsarticles/60l-injector-harness-r7/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004 Power Strokes had fuel injector harness issues that would internally short and abruptly shut the engine down like flicking a switch - totally at random. It was caused by the harness laying on top of the intake manifold bolts. This concern will leave no codes. So you could check for this by using a screwdriver or wooden dowel to gently push down on the harness particularly on the drivers side of he manifold near the FICM. It's worth a shot.

While there was a recall that modified the harness many were still an issue and I suspect many were never corrected even to this day. The best repair is to replace the harness outright and I don't recall them being very pricey. Here is a little more detail on the subject:

https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/ar
Yeah, makes sense, age of truck, age of harness, that is where I will begin, again to troubleshot. Harness is not that expensive. Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, makes sense, age of truck, age of harness, that is where I will begin, again to troubleshot. Harness is not that expensive. Thanks

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The harnesses aren't exactly cheap though ..... and a lot of the 6.0L harnesses seem to be showing up as "discontinued" in the Ford parts system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah checked into to harnesses, oem are just over 200. Going to try the screw drive idea first, and fortunately my youngest is a tech, on leave a present due to virus so when he goes back hope to have access to a quality scanner as well in the outside chance there is a code. Again thanks

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
A $200 repair on a diesel is inexpensive. IMHO

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Totally agree that the injector harness is somewhat reasonable in cost, but there are several other places you can have an electrical short in the wiring that can cause an immediate shutdown (stall). The IPR wiring is one, the cam shaft sensor is another, APP wiring, then there is the fan clutch wiring (or even the clutch itself). These involve the main engine harness.

The FICM/injector harness fpr 2004: 4C3Z-9D930-AA for $233

If it turns out to be the main engine harness .......... the OEM main engine harness is quite a bit more than $200, and be careful, the 2004 model year has three possible engine harnesses:

The 2003 harness for the early 04: 3C3Z-12B637-BA for $455

The mid 2004 harness: 4C3Z-12B637-AA for $449

The late 2004 harness: 4C3Z-12B637-CA for $448

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I am not sure just how intent I am about solving this right now. The information is exceptional, thanks much. Thinking it might be better to turn this over to a qualified diesel tech. Long run might prove out cheaper on time, get through this @#$! virus. Again thanks stay safe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts