The Diesel Stop banner

05-07 headlight upgrade question

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RIStroker2000 
#1 ·
hey guys, im about to do this upgrade but am wondering if anyone has done it WITH snowplow wiring. Any issues with the new pigtails to the different bulbs, or with the relays etc..? thanks

#2 ·
I think it's almost plug and play. I could be wrong, but no major differences in the wiring stand out in my head. The 2001 takes a 9007 headlight and the newer style is an H13.....

#3 ·
yea it is plugnplay.. guess my question is more about if i should worry about the h13 being hotter than the 9007's and potentially burn something up.. which ive done before in other vehicles.. thanks

#5 ·
The 05 up uses the H13 which is quite possibly the stupidest design for a bulb ever foisted on the public. The terminals are so small that they overheat, even at stock wattages, and melt the plastic housing of the connectors. Higher than stock wattage bulbs are offered, but not recommended. There are Chinese connectors that are being used to make these kits and no harness will fix the problem of to small of terminals. As of now no USA made plugs are made that I have seen and wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

#6 ·
great info caryt.. so basically if i do the swap (with or without plow wiring) i risk melting the connection if lights are used alot?.. the only time i really use the headlights alot are during plowing season, other than that minimal usage at night... soo maybe ill have to stock a few pigtails for 'when' they melt?? ive dealt with this on my maxima for years with a wiring/voltage/ishhy headlight conversion that cant be figured out.. i carry a few spare connections all of the time.. thanks

#7 ·
I just did this conversion on my 01 and I did go the "Chinese" pigtail route because I couldn't rationalize paying more money for the same damn thing lol I too was made aware of the potential overheating and melting that some fellow owners experienced but so far so good. Just dont get crazy and get some 100w ricer blue bulbs or else youre just asking for it

#8 ·
Just do the conversion and throw some HID'S in there. I have a 14 k kit. Plug in and go. No issues at all. Just stumbled sometimes when they first hit and turn on. So much better than stock

#9 ·
yea i might do the hids.. just worried about all the wiring in there.. well see how the h13's are stock compared to my faded lenses haha.. im thinkin i might get the hrley lights and hope it wont look wierd with a tan truck.. i guess well see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.