The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
I have an 05 Ford 6.0 F250. Have 104k on the odometer and the truck is well maintained.

I have found many discussions on oil leaks in the archives, but I cannot find anyone talking about a situation like mine. When the engine is running, there is no oil leaking at all. But when I shut the engine down, I notice that there will start to be droplets mainly towards the passenger side of the truck. The forward/back position is just about were the bellhousing is. From what I can see, the oil is coming from somewhere up top on the engine (Signs of fresh oil) and running down. This will only last till it drops approximately 1/2 pint or so. (maybe a ten inch round spot) on the pavement. And then it stops.

I would normally try a dye to see where the oil is coming from, but since this is not something that happens when the engine is running, I was wondering if it could be Turbo related? Drain tube?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting. I think my f350 is doing same thing but not as bad as yours. Mine is driver side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you positive it is oil? I had an identical situation but it turn out to be coolant. If its mixing with grease and oil on its way down it might be mistaken for oil or diesel fuel. In my case it turned out to be coolant leaking out of the tube between the oil adaptor and the EGR cooler. I replace the OEM hose end with a hose clamp and that solved the problem. I was able to confirm it before hand with it running using a inspection (snake style) camera.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am 99% sure its oil, but I am not ruling anything out. I have been placing cardboard under the truck for the last few days since I cannot afford to miss work. And I need the truck for my work. Smells like oil and looks like it, but I am going to see if its coolant mixed with oil.
Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a super old post but this is the only post I can find anywhere that is exactly my problem. Did you ever figure out what or where the oil was coming from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts