The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission is making a bearing whine noise during my shifts into second and third. It happens in the middle of the shift, just as I push into the next gear. I was told that it is the pilot bearing.
can I continue to drive it until it gets louder?
140K on the clock

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That's a tough call....it's a bearing failing and "loud" is a subjective word, no one on the other end of a keyboard really knows for sure what it sounds like and even those that have heard it can't guarantee anything for sure. I guess it depends if you have a tolerance for taking a chance.

But ask yourself whats the risk of leaving it and whats the risk of fixing it now....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ok it to a tranny shop, he said possibly pilot bearing. I was thinking syncros. He said to bring it in if it got worse, he didn't think it was nessisary at this time. Must have a lot of work backed up.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Haha, your probably right, or he might just be a good guy to trust, who knows. But I'm sure if it was ominous, he would have made a spot for you so your likely good to go for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a discovery , if I double clutch, no noise.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Its interesting that its 2nd and 3rd. Those gears do not share a synchronizer assembly. 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th share synchros. Now the 2nd gear ring or the engagement teeth on the gear can get damaged without affecting first, especially if someone insists on trying to speed shift it. Ditto 3rd gear. But, a synchro issue doesn't sound like a bearing. With a synchro issue you'll get a grinding sound on the shift, high shift effort, or it may pop out of that gear.

I'd lean towards the pilot bearing. I wouldn't wait on it either. The pilot bearing provides support for the input shaft, and if it gets damaged the input shaft is going to wobble around and damage its bearings in the trans and possibly the 4th gear synchronizer too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts