The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Excursion that I love. Absolutely fantastic vehicle. Pinpoint the problem I'm having correctly and I'll mail you a $100 bill.

I live in Alaska way up on a hillside where the roads are pretty much never actually clear down to the pavement from the first snowfall through May. Because of this, we use studded tires in the winter.

I missed the first snowfall this year. I have 35" tires on there normally and they don't like to stop on ice. Day after the first snowfall I bribed the mechanics to switch my tires over by bringing lunch for the entire shop.

They put on my studs which have only been through 1 season and are stored indoors when not on the truck. I went on my way.

Now it has what is close to a death wobble. Maybe hardcore shimmy is a better term. If get over 30 mph on an uphill or am on slippery roads it is going all over the place. Terrifying, really. Problem exists in both 4wd and 2wd. It seems to be slightly exasperated in 4.

Went back to the shop and they shook it down. They rotated all of the wheels again, checked every one of them for balance and put it on the rack for an alignment. Couldn't find anything else wrong with it.

Let to come home, problem still exists. I suppose my next step is to go back to my summer tires and see if the problem still exists to take out the variable of the tires.

We have looked closely over the studs and cannot locate any bulges, etc. It is too bad because they're expensive and make driving here significantly safer.

Any words of wisdom on a good rabbit hole to chase?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The steering box in these truck are garbage. I would take it in and have them do the normal stuff. Play in the box, ball joints and tie rod ends. Even a little play gets magnified with large tires. These trucks never have steered very well... Some think the wobble is due to axle movements so there are companies that sell kits to make it a coil spring setup. So there is a lot you can do but just need a top notch 4x4 shop that knows what to look for. Good luck. Let us know if you fix it and what it was. We all have it, had it or will have it... (below are links)

Curing Death Wobble - Tightening Up Your Steering - Diesel Power Magazine

Super Duty Wobble

Ford Super Duty Death Wobble Cure - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

BUSHING KIT, FORD 05-C DEATH WOBBLE FIX

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
If the wheels have been balanced and inspected and installed properly then the issue would be something else. Maybe your oversized 35" summer tires just did a good job of hiding the underlying issue. I don't see any advantage to re-installing the 35's.

I have heard good reviews of the Alignment Center AK Car & Truck off 51st.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might be a stupid question but did the shop check to see if any tire was out of round or just did a balance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Current discussion of another forum said they think it is play in the bushings of the track bar... Allowing the axle to harmonically move from side to side... Don't know about that one. The fix is an aftermarket track bar with hard joints (no rubber).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for much for all of the replies, gentlemen. I can't figure out how to do a multi quote or I would tag each of you.

They are replacing my gear box to tighten the steering to see if that helps.

It's really a weird thing because the problem literally started on the way home from tires being changed.

I am not sure that they have checked the roundness of the tires. The track bar and bushings have been changed - that was a year ago, I believe.

The good news is the shop is a good shop and it is owned by a friend of mine. They are busy so getting his undivided attention can be hard, but I know that they are honestly trying to fix the problem and are not jacking me around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts